2014 Kifaru Nomad

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
thanks for the videos aron. enough info to send my imagination soaring into the endless possibilities of this pack system! quick question, does the longhunter lid come with the nomad at the earlier suggested price, or you have to purchase the lid separate?

The lid will need to be purchased separately.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Aron,

I watched all the videos and you mentioned the clips in the middle of the nomad aren't standard? You seem to have used them to mount almost everything to the back of it including the back pocket etc. Will these be an option for purchase or come standard?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Those come standard with the pockets I'm attaching (E&E, Back Pouch and so on). I just hooked them up ahead of time so the video would be shorter. So they do not come with the Nomad, but again, will come with the pockets I have been attaching.

I do suggest (this goes for any backpack) to have extra buckles laying around for each person own modifications or backup buckles.
Hey Aron,

I watched all the videos and you mentioned the clips in the middle of the nomad aren't standard? You seem to have used them to mount almost everything to the back of it including the back pocket etc. Will these be an option for purchase or come standard?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry I did not get this up last night, but we had movie time at the house:)

I've been asked several times about how I would haul meat out with the Nomad and gear. This video shows what I would do with a large amount of day hunt gear and a stuffed meat baggie/bomb bag.

If I was using the Nomad, Longhunter lid, Camp Bag and Grab It, I would haul the meat as if it were a backpack (if I wanted to do it in one trip anyway). What I mean by this is, I would put all the soft stuff in the bottom of the camp bag, hard stuff in all the pockets, and fill the upper 2/3 of the Camp bag with meat. This would give me the most comfort for a 100+ lb load.

If I where just hauling a quarter and 5 days worth of gear, I would "X" the top of the quarter in the straps that are attached to the panel, have the bottom secured with grab it and compress the camp bag over the quarter.

As long as you're using common sense when loading the Nomad, you can do it however you like. Just remember that the heavy stuff needs to be against your back and elevated (when possible) and you'll be fine.

Sometimes the amount of gear and meat your packing will not allow for things to be perfect, so you'll want to make sure to keep everything as close to you as you can.

[video=vimeo;82616477]https://vimeo.com/82616477[/video]

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
My DT2 hasn't even arrived in the mail yet! Bahhhhh! Looks like telling my wife that the new BDT2 I bought is the "perfect pack" might have been a bit premature!

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the idea of being able to use the center area to throw on a large dry sack to haul camp in on and then having a small"er" day pack to hunt with. Will the lids be an option with these packs for a slight discount as with the others or will they be a separate accessory?

trdhunter

WKR
Thanks for the videos using gear rather than sleeping bags. Cleared things up enough that I want one, but not sure if I should order this first and make it work for pack in trips or to buy bt1 and then order this later. Can anyone talk me in to one or the other for my first kifaru pack?

Thanks for the videos using gear rather than sleeping bags. Cleared things up enough that I want one, but not sure if I should order this first and make it work for pack in trips or to buy bt1 and then order this later. Can anyone talk me in to one or the other for my first kifaru pack?

That is kind of the way I've been thinking. I have the Dt3 on a bikini, had a tough time deciding how to up grade. I ended up ordering a larger bag on the Duplex along with some odds and ends yesterday. I figure that I can always order the Nomad at a later date if I want. The nice thing about ordering now is that my ship date is Jan. 20, when the Nomads come out wait times will be a lot longer.

jm1607

WKR
Man, I was all set on the T1 on a bikini and I can't decide between that or the Nomad now.. I guess I have time to figure it out

Last edited:
Well it seems like a good area to carry a larger light opbject like a sleeping bag. I want to avoid the pack getting really wide, that seems awkward to me. That empty spot looks like a perfect spot?

JQ, just wondering why you would want to attach anything to that empty space?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would hold off on decision making till the next videos are out.

Tho Nomad is awesome, but the EMR 2 is going to impress you as well.

Rizzy

WKR
Can that long hunter lid be used upside down as a grab it? Thereby holding the meat up and allowing storage of light puffy items in the bottom section of the frame.

Beastmode

WKR
Can that long hunter lid be used upside down as a grab it? Thereby holding the meat up and allowing storage of light puffy items in the bottom section of the frame.

Good idea. I think it would but you would need a way to hook up the top buckles. Maybe use a standard lid on top. Not sure but this is just my guess.

Rizzy

WKR
Maybe just a length of webbing with a 3 bar slider on one end to attach to the d ring on the frame and thread through the lids lader locks on the other. Then attach the 2 lids together SR buckle to SR buckle.

I kinda think a Nomad with 2 long hunter lids (top and bottom) would carry everything for back packing. Then when it comes time to haul meat you just put the loaded meat sack in between. Sort of a vertical batwing kinda thing.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Check out the video for the EMR II. This may solve your problem.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
I would hold off on decision making till the next videos are out.

Tho Nomad is awesome, but the EMR 2 is going to impress you as well.

this is going to be a tough one for me,love the versatility of the nomad but love the size of the emr 2,ordered my bikini frame,longhunter lid & back pouch yesterday to beat the rush of the new packs,now the tough decision:cool:

trdhunter

WKR
Watched the videos on the EMRII, and I still am not sure. Don't think I can go wrong whichever route I go. Is there a price set on the EMR yet? I think its awesome what kifaru is coming up with and by listening and incorporating all the input into their packs. Guess it might be good idea to get at least my frame and few small items ordered now.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would guess the EMR will be close to $410-420. The first couple times we sewed it, it took a while (Price was $445), but as the sewers got the hang of it, the price dropped.
Watched the videos on the EMRII, and I still am not sure. Don't think I can go wrong whichever route I go. Is there a price set on the EMR yet? I think its awesome what kifaru is coming up with and by listening and incorporating all the input into their packs. Guess it might be good idea to get at least my frame and few small items ordered now.