2014 Kifaru Nomad

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron, everything posted so far shows the Longhunter Lid. Is there a reason not to use the XTL lid with this setup? I don't currently have a lid, and as I am a notorious overpacker, I have been looking at the XTL.

Both lids work well.

my goodness, im glad i listened to you aron and waited on a pack, now its just a decision between these two. man i like both of them so much its ridiculous. the nomad is exactly what i was looking for, but with talking to you and hearing how much you love putting meat in the bag the EMR II is looking really good as well... tuff choices. now ive just got to save up the cash.

MattB

WKR
Is there a reason most choose the longhunter and cut it up vs the XTL? It is hard to tell from the website what the differences are. It appears that the Longhunter is just 400 ci larger.

Joe

I think it is because the LH lid offers a better volume:weight ratio - I am not sure how much you could cut out of the XTL lid, and (at least for me) the 400 ci capacity reduction of the XTL would impact how I pack.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru has a booth at the shot show I believe. If you could make it to that you could check them both out in person. That could help you make up your mind. I think there is a bikini frame in the classified adds though.

My understanding was that the SHOT show is closed to the public. Is that correct or can anybody attend? My buddy and I have always wanted to go.

Beastmode

WKR
My understanding was that the SHOT show is closed to the public. Is that correct or can anybody attend? My buddy and I have always wanted to go.

Exhibitors get extra tickets though. I have a few buddies who have able to score attendee spots. I haven't been so lucky. That would be a great giveaway for rokslide though. :)

sneek-ee

WKR
I also agree. I think when I get mine it will be the first kifaru pack ive seen.

If you want to see one and try it out I'll drop mine off.
You will have to wait til I go visit family down in emery county. We drive thru Spanish fork canyon.
I have a duplex frame with t1 bag right now. I sold my bikini frame this winter and my standard timberline. I've got grab it, gun bearer, pouches so you can see what works for you.

trdhunter

WKR
Thanks sneekee, that would be awesome. Like how helpful people are on this site. Such a change from other forums I used to visit.

trdhunter

WKR
Im narrowed it down to the BT2/1, Nomad. I was looking at stone glacier, kuiu. With these new packs coming I hesitate in case something seems like a better option. I am wanting to pack for 2-5 day trips and lots of day hunting/scouting/ shed hunting trips. I want something that packs spotter and tripod well.

banjo

FNG
The highcamp compresses down pretty small for day pack mode. If you want an actual small day pack you could use a longhunter lid or an e&e. A spike camp or xray seem too heavy to me to pack in just for day hunts.

I think the reason for the batting design in both these new packs covers day hunting perfectly. The main part of the pack can be compressed while still having functional pockets that are accessible without getting in to the main part/bag.

I guess a person could also attach the horizontal compression straps on the high camp bag to the common loops on the inside panel of the nomad. For guys like me who are leary about compressing the contents of the nomad wings (scopes etc) to support the highcamp bag this would allow them some peace of mind.