2014 Kifaru Nomad

colonel00

WKR
Originally ordered in foliage but then the option came about to order in Mandrake. Basically just a switch in colors.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Mine rocked up! Setup with grab it, duplex and belt pouch all in highlander.... So pretty.

This is my first Kifaru bag and I am blown away so far. Loaded it up and moved around a bit - solid as a rock and extremely comfortable. Weight literally evenly disappears on your back. Can't wait to get it out there and dirty during the Fallow rut! Full report with pics soon...

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking of a Nomad for next year as most of my hunting is day trips or quick overnight trips with the option of 3 - 5 day trips too. Who uses one and do you still like it? I haven't heard or seen much about them recently.

I had one, sold it, and picked up another one. It has grown on me. I tend to spike camp a lot and it is nice to drop the camp bag and Just use the nomad itself. Bad pic due to dust on my cell phone, but this was this past weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445291005.660347.jpg

Calbuck

WKR
No regrets with my Nomad. Have packed out two elk and used for numerous day hikes. Still haven't done multi-day trip yet, but I'm confident it will do great if I choose to go in for several days.

drake7

FNG
I have a Nomad and a T2. I use my Nomad pretty much all the time. I use an OR 35liter bag and 2 large Kifaru belt pouches to complete between the sleeves. I have done many 3-4 days hunts with it and hauled one elk out with it. I have mine on a bikini frame which I don't like as well as the duplex but still works well. I love the versatility of it. As a day pack it works great but can haul over 7000 ci's if needed!

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
drake7, I have wanted a T2 for a long time too, why do you prefer the Nomad over the T2 and would you still get both or just go with one? I recently watched Aron's video on the bikini frame vs the duplex and was pretty much sold on the bikini since I won't be hauling over 80 lbs very often. Why do you like the duplex better? When I buy the frame and bag I'd like to make it do for quite a few years and the Nomad seems to have mostly what I'm looking for for how I normally hunt.

I used the nomad for a few seasons and really liked it for what I wanted. I ran it with a grab it. And with a camp bag for multi day. But this was the negative for me, and its why I don't have it anymore... for day gear its fits what I need but the gear is in long deep pockets making stuff pretty awkward to get to. I would run my scope and tripod in one and that was nice. Then run all my other gear in the other side. When I had a lot of stuff it balanced out pretty nice, when I didn't I had to move my tripod to the other side to balance things. When I needed something I would have to undo straps and dig away. That part drove me crazy. Then for extended trips when I had a big load the nomad pockets were just not very useful to me. If I filled the wings up with what gear would fit in them, then they stuck out a mile and bugged me. Even more annoying is how awkward it is to compress around a camp bag when they are full of gear like spotting scopes and such. So I would end up putting almost everything in the camp bag and just using the wings of the nomad about like compression panels. Then I would get my day gear set up at camp after ditching the camp bag. That was fine and I did like the pack all in all. For me these issues with its size just sort of bugged me and lead me to keep looking.

What I am trying now is just the guide lid and a grab it for day use. I still have a camp bag and a couple compression straps to use with this set up for multi day use. The guide lid holds my day gear fine with a couple belt pouches on my belt. This guide lid set up saves me about a pound vs. the nomad. And I really haven't missed the nomad pockets much yet and I have been happy to be rid of all the straps. Who knows, I may end up going back to the nomad. Its my favorite kifaru bag I have tried or seen. I liked it much better than the T2 for what I do. I could see myself ending up with it again because I wasn't taken by any of the new bags like I had hoped.

Last edited:
I Cant get rid of it. I thought i hated that it was long and skinny and had too many straps... but after running the T3, T1, and mountain rambler, i just cannot find anything that is more versatile.

1 day with no lid and no grab it
5 days with lid, camp bag and grab it
half an elk.. easy
tight, compact, hauls bow high so i can wear it in the saddle
run an ebelestock scabbard down the center and you are in way better shape than the rambler

Just use webbing tamers and little light organization bags to keep your stuff in and you are going to love it.

I will probably try the Tahr... and it will probably end up for sale on here again in favor of the nomad. For me, it is everything i need

Joe

drake7

FNG
drake7, I have wanted a T2 for a long time too, why do you prefer the Nomad over the T2 and would you still get both or just go with one? I recently watched Aron's video on the bikini frame vs the duplex and was pretty much sold on the bikini since I won't be hauling over 80 lbs very often. Why do you like the duplex better? When I buy the frame and bag I'd like to make it do for quite a few years and the Nomad seems to have mostly what I'm looking for for how I normally hunt.

I purchased the T2 after using the Nomad for a year. I thought after using the Nomad it would be nice to use a traditional style pack. After using the T2 on a scouting trip I realized the Nomad was so much more versatile and convenient to organize. With the two multi pocketed sleeves, 35 liter OR dry bag, two large Belt pouches mounted in the middle of the sleeves, 1000ci pod for my sleeping gear and the Longhunter lid. The Nomad also is a much better pack for hauling meat. I use the Grab It 2 and it works perfect! I still will keep the T2 for backpack trips but for hunting it will stay home and the Nomad will get the nod.
When I purchased the Nomad, I purchased the Bikini frame as well. It took me a while to get it adjusted for my size. The weight savings is great but I still never feel the frame fits me. I am always adjusting the shoulder straps, load lifters, etc. and it never is comfortable for more than a few minutes. This is when I have 40 or more pounds in the pack. With the Duplex I adjust everything for me and it feels great for miles. Can't put my finger on it, the duplex is just more comfortable.

For hunting, knowing what I know now, I would purchase a Duplex frame with a Nomad pack, 2 small belt pouches, 2 large belt pouches, 1000ci pod and a long hunter lid. You can then purchase the dry bag you wish based on the length of trips you plan on taking. The comfort, organization and versatility can't be beat. IMO

The new spotting scope pocket should work hanging from the tab loops inside the nomad. Anyone running a side pocket in a similar fashion?

tyr0981

FNG
I just read thru this entire thread, and i'm so incredibly pissed at myself that i hadn't found this information before i bought my Badlands OX Pack out frame! (that's the one without the bag on the frame) This Nomad/Duplex setup is EXACTLY what i was looking for when i bought the OX frame, I've already attached the Cargo Panel from Kifaru to add the expanded storage onto my OX... but the OX is a terrible day-pack, and i have no side bag storage options... now i'm facing the choice of having to buy another setup without having used my brand new setup (to haul heavy loads out that is)... i think the Duplex Frame/Nomad bag/Guide lid, would be the best rig imaginable, and ~700$! :(

colonel00

WKR
i think the Duplex Frame/Nomad bag/Guide lid, would be the best rig imaginable, and ~700$! :(

Keep an eye on the classifieds. With the new Duplex frame out, you can find an older one or a bikini frame available fairly often. Nomads also pop up from time to time. Plus, it seems like spring is when Kifaru likes to roll out new stuff and there are three fairly new packs already out. So, I wouldn't be surprised if people start to unload gear as spring progresses.