Thread: Good books?

Good books?

Hello,

New to the site, my name is Lisa and I'm from South Dakota. Looks like a great site so far. Hopefully this is the appropriate thread for this. Anyway, I'm looking for some recommendations for mule deer or elk hunting tutorials. Or just good books in general about hunting/outdoors. Let me know!

"From The Den of the Old Bowhunter" by Nick Nott. This isn't a how to book. Just a darn good read. Some fantastic stories and pictures from the early days of bow hunting.
    http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Fro...ductinfo/5400/

"Blood, Bullets, and Backstraps" by Michael Simmons. Just another good entertaining book about hunting.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bullets-Blood-.../dp/0967873002

Public Land Mulies by David Long and Mule Deer Strategies by Walt Prothero are two books I've gotten insight from. Of the two, Public Land Mulies would be my recommendation to you. For Elk Hunting, one of my favorite books has been Radical Elk Hunting Strategies by Mike Lapinski. As far as one of my favorite all time books I highly recommend Alaska's Wolf Man: The 1915-55 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser. http://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-M...a%27s+wolf+man

Both of Mike Eastman's mule deer books are good as well.

For mule deer make sure you read the blog on this site.
    If you're not shooting you should be loading, if you're not loading you should be moving, if you're not moving somebody's going to cut off your head and put it on a stick.

Eastmans Elk hunting the West was good.
    Lots of information.

Mule Deer Country, by Valerius Geist.

RC

Public Land Elk Hunting by Matt Dworak just came out. its up to date and very thourough. a realy good book

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedalien View Post
    Public Land Elk Hunting by Matt Dworak just came out. its up to date and very thourough. a realy good book
    I had the pleasure to shoot a 3D night with Matt and his 2 little ones. Cant wait to pick up a copy if nothing else to help support his cause but I am sure it will be a good read.

'hunting open country mule deer' is a must for anyone interested in bow (or rifle for that matter) hunting out west. Dwight Schuh.

Quote Originally Posted by ftballman125 View Post
    'hunting open country mule deer' is a must for anyone interested in bow (or rifle for that matter) hunting out west. Dwight Schuh.
    X2. Coming from a background of hunting whitetails, I learned a lot about mule deer behavior from this book.

A Mule Deer Retrospective: Vintage Photos and Memorabilia from the Boone and Crockett Club Archives

Not a how-to book, but a very enjoyable read.
    Luck is the moment where preparation meets opportunity

Yep, can't go wrong with Hunting Open Country Mule Deer, excellent book.

American Buffalo by Steven Rinella, excellent read!

One With the Wilderness by Mike Mitten, another great book.

Any of the other Steven Rinella books are good, as well.

Hi Lisa,
    These are essays from Kifaru's Patrick Smith and contain alot of great info....

http://www.kifaru.net/essays.html