Planning my first elk hunt (Colorado)

Finch

WKR
Hello everyone,

I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I have already found some useful info.

I'm in the planning phase of my first DIY elk archery hunt. This is going to be September 2015 so I have some time but still feel a little overwhelmed with the whole process. I'm from Virginia and my only mountain experience is that within the Appalachians. A buddy of mine will be joining me but if for some reason he can't make it, I'd still like to go, solo. The plan is to live out of our backpacks for 7-10 days. We'll be driving there - looking at over 20 hours.

I've camped before but never "backpacked." I'd like to have a lot of the necessary backpacking gear so I can put it through the test this year and this coming winter in preparation.

I'm completely stumped on picking which GMU and such. This is more of a statement since I've yet to research this part. Feel free to offer advice if you'd like.

I'm also applying for the KY elk lottery this year but have my doubts about drawing a tag. BUT I hope to have everything I need to hunt elk by that time. It will be practice so to speak.

I guess my biggest question is this. If my buddy is unable to make the trip, am I completely crazy for driving to CO by myself and backpacking into the mtns for a week alone?

Last edited:
OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Slow time of the year here??? Thinking about ordering "Backcountry Bowhunting" by Cameron Hanes. Anyone read that?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome sorry I missed the thread at first.

To answer your question with a question, is hunting ever a bad idea? You may not be successful but does that really matter? You get to hunt!

I have not read the book but was thinking about it as well.

bz_711

WKR
Hello everyone,

My name is Donnie and I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I have already found some useful info.

I'm in the planning phase of my first DIY elk archery hunt. This is going to be September 2015 so I have some time but still feel a little overwhelmed with the whole process. I'm from Virginia and my only mountain experience is that within the Appalachians. A buddy of mine will be joining me but if for some reason he can't make it, I'd still like to go, solo. The plan is to live out of our backpacks for 7-10 days. We'll be driving there - looking at over 20 hours.

I've camped before but never "backpacked." I'd like to have a lot of the necessary backpacking gear so I can put it through the test this year and this coming winter in preparation.

I'm completely stumped on picking which GMU and such. This is more of a statement since I've yet to research this part. Feel free to offer advice if you'd like.

I'm also applying for the KY elk lottery this year but have my doubts about drawing a tag. BUT I hope to have everything I need to hunt elk by that time. It will be practice so to speak.

I guess my biggest question is this. If my buddy is unable to make the trip, am I completely crazy for driving to CO by myself and backpacking into the mtns for a week alone?

~Donnie

Donnie - recognize the name:)
Not crazy at all to drive out yourself - I drove out myself in 2010 (although I was meeting up with some others). Regarding the drive, when you're tired pull over at rest stop and take a couple hour nap. Do not get in a hurry for anything. Each year when I pull away from home for Elk Camp, I tell myself that I just have to be home next Friday - enjoy every second of the trip, even if its just hiking through the mountains all week. But I will add, I think your trip could be more enjoyable and safer by adding a partner to the long drive and hunt - especially if you get one!

If you are not going until 2015, you have tons of time - this site is awesome and packed with great info - keep asking questions, you will get answers.

Guys tried to warn me - and now I'm heading out for my 5th straight year of elk camp this fall...would never have thought that - nor would I have thought my wife/family would support that...but even they see how crazy about it I am, and it truly has motivated me in all aspects of life - as a husband & father, and getting stuff done at home - to help "earn" this trip each year. For others, the elk mountains just don't do it for them...but I can't get enough.
For someone that had only whitetail hunted before - I love the Western style of hunting...and I haven't even tried camping off my back yet. Loading up a day pack with gear and food, and just putting miles down looking for elk is very exciting to me. And the first time you hear a bugle rip off...instant smile.

I suggest asking as particular of questions as you can - guys here will help.

Also - I have the Backcountry Bowhunting book - very good read, and I still keep it handy to re-read portions.

TEmbry

WKR
If I were you Donnie I'd start by planning not to backpack for your first hunt. That's a steep learning curve on its own. I'd plan a truck camping elk hunt where you hike in a mile or three each morning. Eliminates a huge investment needed for backpacking gear. Get a good pack (buy once cry once) and dayhunt from the truck.

Elknut and elk101 have great informative DVDs, books, and CDs to teach you the elk basics.

You have plenty of time to line up a partner, and I'd really work the angle of going with a friend who has been before if possible.

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
You and I are in the same boat. I applying in WY and CO for my first western trip in 2015. I have a few people in mind to go with, but am not letting that stop me from going it alone. Read the entire elk hunting university on the Colorado DNR website. A lot of good info there.
You should try going out backpacking a few days on your own in your local area. You learn quickly what you can handle.
I have been on a few hikes in CO and its never too early to start training your body for that altitude.
Good luck!

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I recognize a few names myself. :)

Matt, just read your 2013 DIY elk hunt story on BH.com, amazing! That's the sort of trip I'm hoping to have but I know on average that it takes time to be successful (years perhaps). I liked your camp setup but did you find yourself wanting to live out of the backpack some nights to stay close to the elk? Maybe not since it rained a good bit.

Trevor, I don't know anyone with any elk experience. I'd love take your advice but my buddy in TN is the only one that's willing to join me. We thought backpacking would be the way to go to stay close to the elk instead of hiking back into camp each night and out again the next morning. Why do you suggest not doing that? I was hoping to get all the essentials and take a few weekend backpacking trips this year and next in preparation. Do you think that's not enough?

Honestly, I'm becoming more and more overwhelmed the more I think about this trip. Planning a trip in a place I've never been and to hunt an animal I've had zero experience with is intimidating. I know people do it all the time. Feeling a little over my head. I guess I need to decide if we're doing a basecamp or backpacking and then go from there.

Woods..thanks for the tip on CO elk university. I've been meaning to check it out.

CentennialELK

Lil-Rokslider
I know a guy from Virginia that comes out here to Idaho to hunt otc elk every year, 6 years anyhow. He didn't know what he was doing and did it backpacking because he figured it would help with his success. He has done it all solo and has killed 4 nice bulls. He inspired me to backpack instead of my usual hunting from a camp. It can sure be done. Do your research. There is a ton of info on the net and lots of people willing to help!

TEmbry

WKR
It's definitely not too much it's just backpacking for a Bivy style hunt is a lot to tackle at the same time of learning to hunt elk. But you gotta start somewhere and like you said you have plenty of prep time. Don't get me wrong, ill be backpacking for my first elk hunt this fall. PM me your email and phone number and I can help break down the stages of planning a trip like this. I'm good at planning western trips not having a clue how to seal the deal once there haha.

The first trip feeling of being overwhelmed is normal. You will lose all those jitters after your first day finally out in the mountains!

bz_711

WKR
I recognize a few names myself. :)

Matt, just read your 2013 DIY elk hunt story on BH.com, amazing! That's the sort of trip I'm hoping to have but I know on average that it takes time to be successful (years perhaps). I liked your camp setup but did you find yourself wanting to live out of the backpack some nights to stay close to the elk? Maybe not since it rained a good bit.

Trevor, I don't know anyone with any elk experience. I'd love take your advice but my buddy in TN is the only one that's willing to join me. We thought backpacking would be the way to go to stay close to the elk instead of hiking back into camp each night and out again the next morning. Why do you suggest not doing that? I was hoping to get all the essentials and take a few weekend backpacking trips this year and next in preparation. Do you think that's not enough?

Honestly, I'm becoming more and more overwhelmed the more I think about this trip. Planning a trip in a place I've never been and to hunt an animal I've had zero experience with is intimidating. I know people do it all the time. Feeling a little over my head. I guess I need to decide if we're doing a basecamp or backpacking and then go from there.

Woods..thanks for the tip on CO elk university. I've been meaning to check it out.

Donnie,
Although I hope to hunt with camp on my back someday - I have yet to have that desire during our elk camp. Actually - most nights I'm glad I'm not spiked out by myself...but that might be different if it were only myself or just one other buddy. Our camp is always shared with others from around the states/globe that I know will be present. And my buddy and I have brought our Dad's the last couple years - so we still really enjoy camp each night: big hot meals, some drinks, comfy cot...and a couple trips into town for some local cuisine to stuff our faces and hot showers:)

I too would suggest against backpacking for first elk hunt - just based on my own personal experience. It can absolutely be done just fine - as long as you are ready to be fully prepared which it sounds like you are - many would not be and the backpacking could easily sidetrack the elk hunt.
The Elk hunt itself offers enough self doubt, 2nd guessing, and "bumps & bruises"...that my fear is the backpacking part would need to be perfect (weather, temps, water, etc) to not derail the elk hunt. 2 other concerns would be if you cannot find elk, you need to go back to truck anyway and drive somewhere else, and lastly (although a great problem)...if you get one down too far from road - Major Undertaking. I've helped pack out 3 elk, the farthest being about 3.5 miles from road - I REALLY do not want to pack one any farther, especially multiple trips if only 1 or 2 along on hunt...so if I'm only 3 miles from truck, no sense in me spiking out.

With all that said - I will backpack for Elk soon on an off year when many won't be in camp as I love the backpacking aspect also and have begun to acquire the gear. But my first couple seasons it might have been too much for me to pull off - I just liked starting each day knowing all I had to worry about was getting close to elk...I never minded the walk in or out each day. I somewhat feel I'm more mobile hunting from truck than backpacking...the #1 goal is to find the elk. I have also been lucky enough to network with a bunch of great guys in camp - something I would have missed backpacking.

With an open mind and positive attitude - you should enjoy the adventure no matter what you decide!

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
You make a good point about maybe needing to drive somewhere else. I agree that it would be nice to have a base camp to come back to each night but I was thinking it would be better bivy hunting to stay closer to the elk each day. I don't know though, that's why I'm asking. :) Sounds like my buddy and I need to rethink our plan. Couple questions.

Do you guys worry about theft, vandalism, etc of your camp while on public ground? Obviously I wouldn't leave valuables there but a hunt could be ruined if someone decided they liked your stuff. (can you tell I don't trust the majority of people?)

This question is for those that have paid packers to bring out your downed elk. Ideally you set this up before hand. Once you kill something, do you just call them with coordinates of your camp/kill and wait for them to arrive? I don't mind packing an elk out but I think it would be nice to have one of these on call just in case you're in deep or become injured.

How many coolers should we bring in case we both are lucky enough to score an elk?

another thing to consider is that in most of the elk country up here there is no cell service. you for sure need a basic survival kit in your pack. for x-mas some years back my mom got me the SPOT satellite messenger as i tend to hunt alone sometimes. it will send my coordinates to search and rescue at the touch of a button,anywhere. peace of mind in the pack. there are still whole towns up here without cell service yet.
something you might want to look into if your thinking of going in alone.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Not crazy. You've an adventurous spirit and found the right crowd.

As far as backpacking, start using your gear to figure out what you need/don't need, like/don't like.

Plan with your friend, plan together, but don't plan for him/her though. If the team plan goes south, have a plan to come anyway. I'm sure someone on here could find the time to accompany you for at least part of the time.

bz_711

WKR
You make a good point about maybe needing to drive somewhere else. I agree that it would be nice to have a base camp to come back to each night but I was thinking it would be better bivy hunting to stay closer to the elk each day. I don't know though, that's why I'm asking. :) Sounds like my buddy and I need to rethink our plan. Couple questions.

Do you guys worry about theft, vandalism, etc of your camp while on public ground? Obviously I wouldn't leave valuables there but a hunt could be ruined if someone decided they liked your stuff. (can you tell I don't trust the majority of people?)

This question is for those that have paid packers to bring out your downed elk. Ideally you set this up before hand. Once you kill something, do you just call them with coordinates of your camp/kill and wait for them to arrive? I don't mind packing an elk out but I think it would be nice to have one of these on call just in case you're in deep or become injured.

How many coolers should we bring in case we both are lucky enough to score an elk?
Donnie,
I really hope we don't talk you out of backpacking if that's what you want - just giving an opinion and above all making sure you are prepared for another degree of difficulty.
Regarding leaving camp unattended - I wondered same thing my first year, but have not had problems. Multiple camps helps out our area, but even remote camps I'd say a bear is more likely to tear up camp than a human. But, I'm far to trustworthy...
Regarding packers - I cannot ever see myself using a packer unless I was doing a drop camp...or my body begins to fail me. IMO, by the time I contact a packer, wait for them, make the trip back in, etc...me and a buddy could just handle the whole thing ourselves. Now a backup plan for injury is a good idea - but this is also more reason to hunt with a partner or at least have a guaranteed form of radio/satellite contact, especially the first time for such a trip (you have kids now:))

Again - these are just one opinion - and when I think about it, I only have 18 days Elk hunting under my belt:)

bz_711

WKR

I was able to get my meat to fit into 2 coolers (150qt and 90qt), but it was tight. It was also a very wet year with ample food, this was by far the most meat we have packed out of the 3 elk I've been involved in...so those 2 coolers more than enough the other times. Now, for a top end herd bull - not sure it would fit - but hope to find out one day. We bring a couple extra coolers for group of 4, figure we could always road trip into a town to get more coolers if we have an epic season:)

I packed cooler with frozen milk jugs and 2 liter bottles, which worked out great as we got back to camp about 10:30pm that night with elk and it was warm, so was nice to have large chunks of ice (plus we stole regular ice from everyone else cooler to put on bottom first). Still had a couple good sized chunks of ice 3 days later when I got home...and meat was very cool by following morning of kill. (frozen jugs also make great additional drinking/cooking water if you would need - so leave in jug until actually need the ice)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Donnie,

Will throw some fantastic resources up for you to go through and learn from. I really dont give to much in instruction but the links to these sites speak for themselves. Last year was my first year Elk Hunting. I didnt get anything down and I live here in Colorado. So just dont get your expectations to high up there that youll come home with meat. You may and you may not so make sure your set on the mindset to come out and have fun.

Here is a Link to the Colorado Division of Wildlife website. Incredible resource and will help you choose your OTC Area you want to hunt.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Pages/Home.aspx

For Maps of GMU's and researching

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Pages/GMUnitMaps.aspx

For gear List and keeping track of your gear and weight and making sure you dont forget things (Not my creation but it has been used by many on Rokslide)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fxs6j88pj0f4kj/ScoutingHikingChecklist.xlsx

Elknut is one of the foremost Elk Hunters out West here. Hes on Rokslide and runs his own website devoted to Elk hunting and calling them in. Ive enjoyed his reading a lot and his Videos.

http://www.elknutforums.com/Hunting/viewforum.php?f=11

Keep an eye on the forums here as we get closer to hunting season. Youll see a lot of great info from the veterans on the website.

Probably the biggest think I can tell you is to over train your body. Its tough getting out here and being up at 10k + Elevation it takes a toll on you. If you can afford to do it make a trip out to do a weekend or a week long scout trip to where you want to hunt. Nothing can help you improve your chances more then putting your boots to the ground and hiking it out through the area. Helps you get to know it and also helps minimize the time you spend trying to find your way around when you do come out for your hunt.

Again by no means am I any sort of expert, Im a noob myself at the Elk hunting game but these things mentioned above where a great resource for me and Im sure you can learn something from each of the links I posted.

Good luck.

husky390

WKR
On the plus side, you have time to gather gear and start experimenting with it in the Appalachians. By the time you're ready to head out west, you should have your gear shaken out and able to focus on hunting elk. There's a ton of info just on this site alone, elknuts is another great one. If you have an OTC tag and things don't work out in the unit you are in, you can always pack it back to the truck and hit another area. Worst case, truck camp the rest of your hunt. Good luck to you.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys for all the tips/recommendations! I'll post more questions when I have a little more time. Life is a little busy at the moment. Keep the tips coming~

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I've literally been researching gear since I started this thread and still haven't decided on anything. Got a ton of bookmarks saved though. :)

Kinda rethinking our plan. Instead of sleeping where we find ourselves each night (bivy), I've been leaning more towards the basecamp idea. When I say basecamp though, I'm not meaning where the truck is parked but maybe a mile or so in the woods. It seems like it would put us closer to elk and cut down on our hike in/out times each day. If we do have a basecamp a couple miles in, doesn't that mean we need more tents? Would we set up a base camp tent but also have a tent or two for if we get on elk and decide to spend the night away from base?

For this hunting style, what types of tents or sleeping recommendations would you recommend? I'm really trying to get this figured out so I can start buying this stuff to test it out.