FHF vs Kuiu Bino harness review

SDHNTR

WKR
I've tried nearly all of them and IMO, these two are the top contenders. So now having had time to fondle both, here are my thoughts... Keep in mind that I am primarily a bowhunter. Neither are perfect.

The FHF is good, I really like the harness attachment points and the way the top straps to the pouch and Bino connector straps are seperate. Makes for a very solid feeling hold on your body with glasses in or out of the pouch. But a couple of things... The lid opens the wrong way. Not a big issue when taking glasses out, but then it flops down to cover the pouch opening when you want to put them back in. Annoying. So you have to either use your other hand to lift the lid or fuss with it to get your binos back in the pouch one handed. But the most annoying thing about it is the noise. IMO, cordura has no place on the upper body front of a bowhunter. It's just too loud when your clothing, bow, or even your binos rub against it. I messed around with it on a cold still evening and tried to pull the glasses out while in a tree stand with a wary muley doe 15 yards away. Got instantly busted. Deal breaker for me. Not an issue for rifle hunting though.

Upon first glance, I thought the Kuiu would solve all these issues. The fabric is soft and quiet, and the pouch is even lined with fleece. Smart. The lid opens the proper way so that it pulls away from the pouch. In theory, that means you could easily put the glasses back in the pouch one handed. That is important for bowhunting. But this is where the functionality is lacking. There is no top strap to the pouch. It relies on the bottom strap only (going around your chest) and the little straps that connect to the binos are entirely separate. There is nothing connecting the top of the pouch to the harness. This is not an issue with the binos in the pouch, but once you pull them out the pouch slides down an inch or so since there are no top straps holding it up. To combat this you must cinch the bottom straps that come around your chest really tight, but then this restricts breathing if you are working hard. So since the pouch slides down just a little when you take the glasses out, you cannot put them all the way back in without pushing the pouch back up from the bottom with the other hand, or at least fiddling with it a little bit. This could be so easily remedied with top strap attachment to the pouch, like the FHF. If you could rig that, the Kuiu would be pretty much perfect. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance. For the record, I'm sticking with the Kuiu, but sure wish they would add a top strap.

My $.02.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
On the FHF lid issue, I just tuck the lid behind the harness unless really on the move or if it is raining.

TEmbry

WKR
Agreed on all noted with the Kuiu harness. Love mine but a duplicate set of over the shoulder top straps for the case itself would be ideal...

you ever use the badlands bino harness? i have for the past 2 years, still works fine, but was curious how it stacked up to either mentioned by you. the fhf has been the one ive thought about trying but perhaps not necessary.....

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
you ever use the badlands bino harness? i have for the past 2 years, still works fine, but was curious how it stacked up to either mentioned by you. the fhf has been the one ive thought about trying but perhaps not necessary.....

Too big and bulky for my liking.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
On the FHF lid issue, I just tuck the lid behind the harness unless really on the move or if it is raining.
I did that too, but it was a little awkward. Point being, you shouldn't have to.

I've had the Kuiu for about a month now And it's the best I've had, by quite a large margin. I've not had the issue with the Kuiu, I find that I place the binos In and when I pull up to close the top it sucks the binos back in to the pouch.

I completely agree.. The kuiu harness would be absolutely perfect if the case didnt slide down.. That being said, its pretty dang good..

Stid2677

WKR
Alaska Guide Creations makes the best I have found for my style. He has one in a bow friendly material. I have used his for many years and his newer harness is even better.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Agreed...seeing the FHF in person and I prefer the AGC ones is better and glad Stid talked me into upgrading to the new model after running the old version since 2009, at least for me.

Its not as sleek as FHF or Kuiu, but you can hold more in it and really if you wanted to drop your pack and still have your GPS, rangefinder, knife, tag, extra ammo, and binos and more with you with out having to even think about it.

OR Archer

WKR
That AGC bino harness system looks pretty sweet. Only thing I would add to it would be some sort of built in bino tether straps.

Stid2677

WKR
That AGC bino harness system looks pretty sweet. Only thing I would add to it would be some sort of built in bino tether straps.

What I do is unsnap one of the harness straps and run my home made lightweight nylon neck strap through it. That way I can't leave them lay or drop them. Could do the same with a piece of cord.

Last edited:

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
The AGC small case fits 10x42 up to geovids no problem. It's Much smaller then the standard case on his web site. I can't imagine a better case, harness, or protection system for expensive glasses!

The only place I know to see it is on eBay tight now. I won't be without mine!

Last edited:

boom

WKR
i have the regular AGC one and it fits my 10x50's.

i also have the FHF..i agree it is loud. i spooked a herd of mulie when i pulled them out. deer were at 70 yards. i think i am going back to a regular non pouched harness. i will get fastidious with glass cleaning and maint.