FHF vs Kuiu Bino harness review

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
One more quick question. I'm looking at purchasing the vortex Viper HD 15-50s would these fit in a size Large Kuiu harness considering they are only 6.7in high and the 8-42s are only roughly an inch shorter. anybody rockin the 15-50s in a large or would I need to go XL?

wapitibob

WKR
Got the KUIU harness yesterday. XL for my Leica 12x50's. I was initially concerned because the top lid wasn't wanting to stay over the top of my eye cups. The top harness straps were interfering. Seems KUIU has an instructional vid on the net. Watched it, then used the lid tentioners, shortened the side straps slightly and viola! One handed in/out. I have a Manfrotto quick disconnect plate on those bino's too but they fit great. Shortening the lid tensioners was the magic for getting the top lid to snap over the eye cups and not interfere with the top harness straps. I'm not getting SD's sagging pouch effect after taking my binos out; the binos go all the way to the bottom of the pouch. The side straps are snug but not restrictive.

The feel of the binos on the chest is day and night compared to the Badlands I have used for years, even with the strap and bag mods I made to that old harness. I always hated that "big glob sticking out from my chest" feeling.

I was asked "why not FHF"? I'm old and lazy. The FHF lid goes the wrong way and tucking it in like a loose shirt tail, then digging it back out to close is something I'm not willing to deal with anymore. That dang Badlands would stay open till I went to put the binos in, then it would flop shut with that little "haha got you" pop. What a pain in the butt.

work765

WKR
Just reading through these. I just got some new Binos and want to get a harness for them. I use a rifle though. Has any changes been made to any of the above models that makes one stand out more than the other? KUIU is the preferred?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Just reading through these. I just got some new Binos and want to get a harness for them. I use a rifle though. Has any changes been made to any of the above models that makes one stand out more than the other? KUIU is the preferred?

For rifle I would go with the AGC, it is perfect for storing everything.

Hunter6

WKR

AGC all the way. My favorite by far margins.

AndyB

WKR
One more quick question. I'm looking at purchasing the vortex Viper HD 15-50s would these fit in a size Large Kuiu harness considering they are only 6.7in high and the 8-42s are only roughly an inch shorter. anybody rockin the 15-50s in a large or would I need to go XL?

Yes, I have the viper hd 15x50's and they fit in a large kuiu bino harness. I don't carry them in it as my 8x's go in there, but if I wanted to I could.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
FHF has worked great for years. For minimalist or scouting the Rick Young Outdoors is awesome.

work765

WKR
Decided on the AGC K.I.S.S.
I think this will suit my needs. I don't want a huge harness up front. But I like the way it's setup.
Thanks guys!

Love my Kuiu for my leica 10x42HD-Bs. Only complaint is they aren't quickly adjustable without some monkeying. If you wear them over your jacket and it gets hot, you'll have to readjust to wear with lighter gear. Not a big issue but it takes time and if you are chasing game and get sweaty this can be a time consuming ordeal....at least it has been my experience.

work765

WKR
Exactly what I wanted!! Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

9373ca77ae4f2108ba0852b21aab6e32.jpg

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried modifying the Kuiu so the upper harness straps attach directly to the case, then threading the bino strap through the buckles? I used the Kuiu last year and the issue the OP mentioned about it wanting to slide down was my only complaint. Even with 10X42s I found myself constantly using both hands to get the binos back in, and tightening the chest straps didn't seem to help. In fact, I found that doing that actually made it worse in that the case wanted to sit below my lats, or would slide down because of them. I sold the Kuiu recently so I'm looking for another one, and the AGC seems to be winning that race. But I agree with the AGC lid opening the wrong way.

I had a tenzing oss15(similar to the kuiu in functions) returned it after two days of hunting. I needed to get my binos out one handed and be able to let them hang outside of the harness as well. The Alaska guide creations cub was exactly what I was looking for. Keep it in mind. And it's not as bully as it looks