Factory ammo for 300 win mag for moose

I'm heading to Alaska this Fall for a moose hunt with my buddy. I'll be bringing along my 300 win mag and leaving the bow behind this trip. I was thinking of 180 grain Nosler Accubond factory ammo. I searched the internet for suggestions and found a whole bunch of posts from alot of people who haven't hunted moose before. For those that have knocked down some moose what suggestions do you have for factory 300 win mag ammo? Thanks in advance.

VernAK

WKR
That'll work just fine!

The lung area is huge and a double lung shot with most calibers will do the job. I do like a stiff bullet in case of a screw-up where a second shot is required from the rear end.

Well pu me in the category of folks that have never killed a moose with the 300 (had mine in camp but killed mine with my 450 Marlin Guide Gun last season) but that is the ammo I was packing in mine for moose last season. I think just about any decent bullet like like Remington Core-Lokt would work but I wanted a quality bullet like the accubond in case I found a brown bear.

Bambistew

WKR
I haven't killed one with a WM, but have with a WSM, both 300 and 325 shooting 180 and 200gr accubonds. The wife killed one with her 300WSM and another friend with his 300WM. Didn't see a need for more or less, most all of them died with one shot to the lungs. Pretty easy to kill, you shoot they stand there dumbfounded, then fall over dead.

Good luck on your trip, I'd be more worried about having a good backpack than if your gun will do the job. :D

I haven't killed a moose with a .300 either, but I've seen it done once or twice (or three), and I have used 180 Accubonds in my 30-06. You won't have any problems you can blame on the bullet. That's a good round.

Besides Accubonds, I think I've used SST's, Speer Mag-Tips, Remington Core-Lokt, TBBC, and Barnes LRX on moose. Maybe a one or two others. I've also seen a few moose taken with Partitions that worked well and certainly other factory loaded bullets that I've forgotten. The moose died every time. I'm pretty much going to echo Bambistew on this one.

.... I'd be more worried about having a good backpack than if your gun will do the job. :D

Good luck!

OP
WonkyWapiti
Thanks guys, I'll be looking to pick up some Accubonds this weekend and start practicing. My buddy nearly freaked when I talked about bringing my bow into brown bear country with him, lol. Being a team player I acquiesced to the 300 win mag. Although this is the same guy who gave me crap for carrying bear spray on our Fernie, BC fly fishing trip last summer. I told him at that time he wouldn't be making fun of me when all he had in his hand was a 5 wt if we came face to face with a griz.

turk870

FNG
if your gun dosent like the accubonds another one to try would be the hornady gmx.buddy of used it out of his 300 and it performed well.

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
can't go wrong with the noslers! my savage loves the 180 gr as well. if your in bear country ya might think about a 200. but its prob more important that you know your ballastics backwards and forwards

hodgeman

WKR
Moose are pretty easy to tip over despite how big they are- shoot em in the lungs and let the inevitable happen. You will not impress a moose with any rifle shy of artillery so just shoot him and let it soak in before you try a follow up.

I use the 180 Accubond exclusively in my .300 for hunting everything, there are some equally good bullets out there but nothing better.

Tekla

FNG
I have been using the swift A frame and have had real good luck. Shot this guy from 100 yards and had two bullets under the skin on the other side.
rumu8ube.jpg
uqu4y6ep.jpg

Tekla

FNG
The caliber is a 338 ultra mag. I've had real good luck with it from brown bears to buffalo to caribou. Spendy but you only need one.

OP
WonkyWapiti
Well trying to find the Nosler Accubonds in 300 Win Mag has been impossible at various locations near me. My local Sportsman's said to check back on Tuesday when they get their next shipment.

Tekla, what holster are you wearing in the 1st pic?
I often like to carry my 7.5" SRH in 480 with an Ultradot red dot sight as my primary hunting gun & still haven't found the "perfect" holster so I'm always looking!

OP
WonkyWapiti
I am near you BMCox in Maple Valley. I checked Sportsman's Warehouse and Sportco. If Sportsman's doesn't get a shipment in tomorrow I'll be checking Cabela's.

Tekla

FNG
The holster is made by dimond D out of wasilla. I Carry my titanium 44 with me every time I'm butchering an animal. I absolutely love the holster and it fits really tight. You can move it up to the center of your chest for fishing or in the water and down to your side if you are wearing binos on your chest. I had them add the extra holder for six bullets.

The holster is made by dimond D out of wasilla. I Carry my titanium 44 with me every time I'm butchering an animal. I absolutely love the holster and it fits really tight. You can move it up to the center of your chest for fishing or in the water and down to your side if you are wearing binos on your chest. I had them add the extra holder for six bullets.

Thanks, thought that might be the case. Unfortunately they aren't doing holsters for scoped revolvers anymore. The search continues...

JPD350

WKR

I just ordered the same holster for my S&W 44 329pd, should have it within the week. I had been looking at this holster for a few weeks and your post sealed the deal for me, the issues you stated were the last questions I had.

By the way that is a hell of a moose!

OP
I will be hunting by Fairbanks this Sept and will be using my bow first with a 300 win mag for just in case, I chose the Barnes Vor-TX 180 gr TSX BT because they seem to shoot really well out of my Tika compared to the Federal 180 NP or the Hornady 180 SSt although I may try some others if the stores ever get something different, I also think any well placed 180 grain bullet is going to get the job done.