Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cool 2014 Elk shed season..3 weeks and counting

Lets see some pics of your epic days or great memories from days afield looking for BONE

This shed with Magnum led to this archery bull he is one and the same

Shed days can give you an advantage of what has survived the winter and help learn the area even further and it sure beats the gym.
    Elk Hunter from Hell
    Rokslide Staff

Well, those are nice sheds. I've got at least 6 to go after as soon as I can get there----I glassed them up during hunting season but they are all across a canyon but I know where they are.

Randy
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth"------Steve McQueen

Is your lab helping you find them?

Ross Kind of off topic but the sheds on your fj brought it to mind.

Is that fj lifted? If so how much. Looking at doing mine.

Awesome sheds though, your blessed to live near country like that!

Sweet sheds and bull.

I wish I lived closer to the elk.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder turbo, 70lbs all black and 2013 pse omen max 60# Stormy hardwoods target green
    Limbdriver pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3 release, Easton FMJ's

Magnum is self taught to find sheds having started at10 weeks and just turned 9. We have had a lot of great days together over the years. He will go pick them up or run towards the scent and I follow but seldom brings one back....the fj has a 2-3 inch lift done at the dealership and has 33's on it a fn rig 4sure and yes blessed to live in this country and 34 years in this neck of the woods gives me a nice advantage too many places to go
    Elk Hunter from Hell
    Rokslide Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Magnum is self taught to find sheds having started at10 weeks and just turned 9. We have had a lot of great days together over the years. He will go pick them up or run towards the scent and I follow but seldom brings one back....the fj has a 2-3 inch lift done at the dealership and has 33's on it a fn rig 4sure and yes blessed to live in this country and 34 years in this neck of the woods gives me a nice advantage too many places to go
    The elk are moving my way, but have a long ways to go. Where I deer hunt they are growing in herd size and finally saw a bull in there. Just deer sheds for me
    2013 Hoyt Spyder turbo, 70lbs all black and 2013 pse omen max 60# Stormy hardwoods target green

Thanks. I'm hoping my GSP will help me find them. It's too bad my lab is too old to do that stuff anymore. Nice looking dog.

Nice sheds and can't wait to get in the woods this year and actually look for them in idaho. I have found some but that was when I was hunting and just stumbled across them. Let's see a pic of that Fj so I know what rig to follow.. :-)

Hoping to find some myself soon! Gonna get the snow shoes out and the scope! Bob.
    Go now or regret it later!

Ross, very nice! Never been into the shed hunting but looks like a ton of fun! Congrats on the great finds!

ElkNut1
    http://www.elknut.com
    Vortex Optics Dealer

Looks like some great memories!! Let the countdown begin.... Cant wait to pick up the first of the season Heres a few Rosie sheds, and some "huntn" sheds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    I wish I lived closer to the elk.
    You are probabably only four hours away from good elk sheds. I went last year for a couple of days and found a couple of dandies and a few small guys. Planning a few trips this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by NVCHUKAR View Post
    You are probabably only four hours away from good elk sheds. I went last year for a couple of days and found a couple of dandies and a few small guys. Planning a few trips this spring.
    Yeah it's not far, but being almost 17 I don't have a bunch of friends that hunt or shed hunt and my parents don't let me venture to far whether its hunting or driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    2014 Elk shed season..3 weeks and counting
    There's a season? What do you do if you find any before "the season" starts.....let them lay?

Nice Rosie's blackvelt......my definition for shed season in this area as there is no official season/ restriction as there are in some states or areas is when the bone starts hitting the ground which is 3/20 give or take a day or two
    Elk Hunter from Hell
    Rokslide Staff

I don't have any pictures to add yet, but I've been watching this nice 5x2 bull for the last 3 weeks almost daily. He's got a straight spike with a club type thing coming off of the spike. Other than the crazy looking rack he looks healthy and normal. I've watched this herd for about a month now. I'm just sitting here waiting.

Wow nice stuff Ross. My next lab will be trained to collect sheds. My current lab is 12 and was supposed to die over a year ago. He is a go getter but I have to restrict what he does because he will hurt himself if I don't. Looking forward to having a young dog again to camp and scout with. But I am a 1 dog at a time guy so I gotta wait for the time being.

I hear you Oly, Magnum would not be pleased with a compadre, though I figure this is his last extreme year for shed hunting and hiking, but he still enjoys ridin dirty off the mountain..........his favorite day from last year for sure
    Elk Hunter from Hell
    Rokslide Staff