2014 Elk shed season..3 weeks and counting

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets see some pics of your epic days or great memories from days afield looking for BONE

This shed with Magnum led to this archery bull he is one and the same:)

Shed days can give you an advantage of what has survived the winter and help learn the area even further and it sure beats the gym.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, those are nice sheds. I've got at least 6 to go after as soon as I can get there----I glassed them up during hunting season but they are all across a canyon but I know where they are.

Randy

Lawnboi

WKR
Ross Kind of off topic but the sheds on your fj brought it to mind.

Is that fj lifted? If so how much. Looking at doing mine.

Awesome sheds though, your blessed to live near country like that!

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Magnum is self taught to find sheds having started at10 weeks and just turned 9. We have had a lot of great days together over the years. He will go pick them up or run towards the scent and I follow but seldom brings one back....the fj has a 2-3 inch lift done at the dealership and has 33's on it a fn rig 4sure and yes blessed to live in this country and 34 years in this neck of the woods gives me a nice advantage too many places to go :)

velvetfvr

WKR
Magnum is self taught to find sheds having started at10 weeks and just turned 9. We have had a lot of great days together over the years. He will go pick them up or run towards the scent and I follow but seldom brings one back....the fj has a 2-3 inch lift done at the dealership and has 33's on it a fn rig 4sure and yes blessed to live in this country and 34 years in this neck of the woods gives me a nice advantage too many places to go :)

The elk are moving my way, but have a long ways to go. Where I deer hunt they are growing in herd size and finally saw a bull in there. Just deer sheds for me

husky390

WKR
Thanks. I'm hoping my GSP will help me find them. It's too bad my lab is too old to do that stuff anymore. Nice looking dog.

coop2424

WKR
Nice sheds and can't wait to get in the woods this year and actually look for them in idaho. I have found some but that was when I was hunting and just stumbled across them. Let's see a pic of that Fj so I know what rig to follow.. :)

ElkNut1

WKR
Ross, very nice! Never been into the shed hunting but looks like a ton of fun! Congrats on the great finds!

ElkNut1

Looks like some great memories!! Let the countdown begin.... Cant wait to pick up the first of the season :) Heres a few Rosie sheds, and some "huntn" sheds.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 235

velvetfvr

WKR
You are probabably only four hours away from good elk sheds. I went last year for a couple of days and found a couple of dandies and a few small guys. Planning a few trips this spring.

Yeah it's not far, but being almost 17 I don't have a bunch of friends that hunt or shed hunt and my parents don't let me venture to far whether its hunting or driving.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice Rosie's blackvelt......my definition for shed season in this area as there is no official season/ restriction as there are in some states or areas is when the bone starts hitting the ground which is 3/20 give or take a day or two:)

cutup75

FNG
I don't have any pictures to add yet, but I've been watching this nice 5x2 bull for the last 3 weeks almost daily. He's got a straight spike with a club type thing coming off of the spike. Other than the crazy looking rack he looks healthy and normal. I've watched this herd for about a month now. I'm just sitting here waiting.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Wow nice stuff Ross. My next lab will be trained to collect sheds. My current lab is 12 and was supposed to die over a year ago. He is a go getter but I have to restrict what he does because he will hurt himself if I don't. Looking forward to having a young dog again to camp and scout with. But I am a 1 dog at a time guy so I gotta wait for the time being.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear you Oly, Magnum would not be pleased with a compadre, though I figure this is his last extreme year for shed hunting and hiking, but he still enjoys ridin dirty off the mountain..........his favorite day from last year for sure:)