2014 Elk shed season..3 weeks and counting

Those are some nice sheds!

Are the pictures in posts 44 & 58 (first pic) from this spring? Surprising to see that there isn't much snow. Still have plenty in this part of MT, even at a lowly 4500' of elevation.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are in the last two weeks lots of snow up high4500 and in the bottoms but quick melt in between gives bulls lots of room to roam and guys the opp to dig this is vehicle 3 stuck I have seen.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brian do you want the real answer or the one about all the wolf kills and all the elk have been eaten and guys better go to Colorado to find decent herds anymore:)

Looks like alot of fun Ross..... love the pics. Someday I hope to get a canine companion, but for now I mostly roll solo. Had some good days for Rosies this year, but this was my best so far. My best Rosie set and some decent side dishes as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 152

Jager

WKR
Not sure how I missed this thread, great pics from all.

Ross, Magnum is an absolute trooper, just so photogenic, looking fwd to seeing some pics of him and Avery in action.

Thanks fellas.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys, i am from the Midwest and do not understand the season for shed hunting, is there really a season and if so why?

Hoot

WKR
Ok guys, i am from the Midwest and do not understand the season for shed hunting, is there really a season and if so why?

Some states have a season so that animals on the winter range are not stressed/pressured while recovering from the winter. Other states don't have a season, it's just the time of year that they're dropping.

It's like my grandpa always told me, "gotta get 'em before the poachers do!"

ScottP

WKR

Also, out here where I live in CO anyway, if they are laying out exposed to the sun they turn white and eventually crack. So if you're after the fresh brown ones you gotta get out early before someone else gets them or it gets too late in summer.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Magnum got on the scent of this one for easter just could not match it up......lets just say he is glad he does not have to work on Mondays:)

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Man looks like there are a few knee weakening packs on here for sure. Nice work guys. Aron and BV looks like you guys put in some long hard days in the woods this year to go along with Ross, well done fellas. I definitely don’t have any days put together quite as good as you three but it hasn’t been for lack of effort. Here are just a few of Avery and my photo ops we’ve had this year. We’re hoping to add to the pile before green-up pushes us out.

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider

What Avery saw/smelled from 60 yds away.

What I unearthed after digging that entire log out from on top of it.

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider

He might have rancid breath, smell like wet fur and gather ticks like a vacuum, but he’s my smelly halitosis’d tick magnet.

Awesome pics GoNdeep! You guys dont make it easy not to dip into the hunting funds to get my butt eastside, or Idaho and Oregon backcountry for a shed trip.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
my favorite shed huntin partners.

Attachments

• 20140407_123343.jpg
    20140407_123343.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20140407_123722.jpg
    20140407_123722.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 92
OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice photos Norse, looks like you have an excellent crew to shed hunt with and you may have to pry that treasure from her hands:)