2014 Elk shed season..3 weeks and counting

husky390

WKR
I hear you Oly, Magnum would not be pleased with a compadre, though I figure this is his last extreme year for shed hunting and hiking, but he still enjoys ridin dirty off the mountain..........his favorite day from last year for sure:)

Dude, I think you won the coolest toys award. That thing is sweet.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Husky, I have to give credit for the machine to my missouri born friend Brian holding the pig of an antler...that is his machine and he is gracious enough to let me and magnum ride in class in that machine......i do have to say it is bad ass 4sure!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In the Gunnison basin you have to or get a 70.00 fine and 5 points off you license. No joke!

Seriously? Is that year round? Is that even legal to restrict that, it's just an inanimate object not even attached to anything at that point. That's kind of like banning picking up pine cones. And what license? I'm sure there are plenty of non-hunters that find them and pick them up too. Having a hunting license isn't even related.

ckleeves

WKR
Seriously? Is that year round? Is that even legal to restrict that, it's just an inanimate object not even attached to anything at that point. That's kind of like banning picking up pine cones. And what license? I'm sure there are plenty of non-hunters that find them and pick them up too. Having a hunting license isn't even related.

It's closed on public lands from Jan. 1st until March 14th than it opens March 15-May 15 from 10 am until sunset. After that it's wide open.

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Oh Rosco, I've been waiting for this post to pop up for a couple weeks now. I know you've been salvating as much if not more than myself. I know Avery's internal clock is working when every morning I've gotten up for work the past two weeks he's sitting by the door waiting patiently to jump in the truck. Still can't get over that mass on that pig. Stud for sure. I'm expecting the same formula in '14, with those heavy horns on a recently deceased elk and a big smile behind it. Nothing you guys haven't already seen in the past but heres a few shots to get the blood going.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Magnum and Avery need to get together this year Nick. I got the shot in my knee and am ready to get off the treadmill and pound some steep starting next weekend to do some spotting....

Lukem

WKR
Too many yahoos harassing game on winter range led several agencies across the west to restrict shed hunting. Can be hard on wintering herds if done wrong.

And as for the pine cones...see page 2: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm9_012514.pdf

Different jurisdictions do things differently...

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely Ross, I’ll shoot you an email with my schedule and we can put something together. Glad to hear you got the tattered wheel serviced and are rip raring to go, that makes two of us. Thought I’d throw up Avery’s two favorite sheds so he’ll stop pouting. Looking forward to seeing how these two over wintered.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never get tired at looking at those sheds Nick!!!! Awesome

I am ready for some 10,000 calorie burn days

Magnum has his Rimadyl packed and ready to keep up with Avery or at least he will try:)

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, look forward to it Ross. Avery's looking a bit plump and needs a few 10,000 cal days himself. Mommas been feeding him well while dads been at work. Man I hate needles that just looks nauseating. Takes a real man and a love for what he does to allow that kind if torture.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you Oly, Magnum would not be pleased with a compadre, though I figure this is his last extreme year for shed hunting and hiking, but he still enjoys ridin dirty off the mountain..........his favorite day from last year for sure:)

It doesnt get much better than that Ross. Awesome pic man

birdman1

FNG
All the local bulls are still packing, but found one of last years! still a few weeks around here, at least the moose have dropped

Attachments

• IMG_20140319_132500.jpg
    IMG_20140319_132500.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 167

parshal

WKR
Too many yahoos harassing game on winter range led several agencies across the west to restrict shed hunting. Can be hard on wintering herds if done wrong.

I was at the Colorado Wildlife Commission meeting when this issue was first brought up. In addition to the wintering herd concern they were extremely worried about the sage grouse. They said too many people were hunting sheds near grouse leks so they made the 10 AM start time since the grouse are usually done by then.

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks for posting this. To many people think of "pressure" in only the "hunting pressure" sense. Antlers are turning into business for some and being greedy only hurts the critters. I love picking up sheds too and sometimes find myself questioning how hard to push it. This is a good reminder for sure.

littlebuf

Banned
daughter found her first shed Saturday. they've both been shed hunting with me many times and ive even picked up a few with them in tote but this one she found all by herself. couple years old but shes pretty proud of it, not near as proud as i am though. they hung with me for about 4 miles Saturday through lots of reprod and brush. love a day in the woods with my girls.

Attachments

• reas shed 022.jpg
    reas shed 022.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 131

mt100gr.

WKR
Awesome. Get your girls in the woods whenever possible. I have 2 daughters of my own and try to get them out whenever I can. Even just in our back pasture. It's slow getting around at toddler pace, but seeing how much they enjoy it is worth it.