2014 Elk shed season..3 weeks and counting

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opening weekend was a success, though I will say there have been many blanked days this year with many miles traveled to finally hit the the antler rush:) Come March 1st I started the beard and lets just say the wife was happy when that I picked by first elk shed of the year. Here are a few winter pics with Magnum and a day in the FJ where I almost wrapped it around a tree on a nasty nwest mt ICE road:)

Randle

WKR
Way to go Ross, a little birdy Monty told me you had a good load already I have been waiting to see the picture Congrads.
Great to see Magnum out with you again, he is a trooper.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say Magnum finds about 30% of the sheds and if I actually worked with him he would probably find 75% of them. Yeah it will be tough when he cant go anymore as we have had 8 yrs of great adventures......it is treacherous this time of year and the poles help keep me up. I watched him slide 40 yds on ice in some dark north slope scratching and clawing to try and stop to no avail coming to rest in a creek bottom slamming into a tree. He got up groggy but shook it off for another 5 hrs of walking he is a trooper for sure and loves the ride out on the machine to sleep and rest until we can get back to the rig. He has adapted to the machine rather well.

Randle

WKR
Ross What is the deal with the trailer up there in the road, Monty also said something about that, Is the guy just waiting to get to his property?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The trailer was pulled by some of my competition and friends from spokane. They came up for the weekend and scored some antlers as well.the best thing was no one saw any wolf tracks:)

BTH

FNG
Congrats Ross! And glad you didn't see wolf sign I however saw 3 of them rascals today playin in the snow cross canyon without a rifle to ruin their day. :(

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
awesome Photos ross. that Photo of you with the Sheds on your back is epic. cant tell if your really slouched over or if that was taken on a hill Lol. Good looking dog too.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snow melt is quick down low this year making for a lot of ground pound with limited new antlers and some laughter at peeps going in unprepared thinking you can drive on 3+ feet of snow...as with all outdoor activities preparedness goes a long ways....this rig was buried 10 days ago and they finally got chains on it and are waiting for further melt to get out:) lets just say they got alot of exercise digging this one out!

Andy Dana

FNG
Snow melt is quick down low this year making for a lot of ground pound with limited new antlers and some laughter at peeps going in unprepared thinking you can drive on 3+ feet of snow...as with all outdoor activities preparedness goes a long ways....this rig was buried 10 days ago and they finally got chains on it and are waiting for further melt to get out:) lets just say they got alot of exercise digging this one out!

Those tire chains have the real nice cams on them for tightening things up.....I don't think they know how to use them...still be stuck though regardless.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You make a good point Andy, the key for them was this was a week later, when I first saw this rig it was still buried in the now vacated hole with no chains nor a broken tailight......I imagine they broke the the cover in their fit of rage at having to dig for endless hours..............