car camping family tent

R3B3

FNG
Another Springbar fan.
Easy to set up and bomber construction.
We got the 6 person tent as a wedding present and never used it until we had kids.
Now it's perfect because we can fit a queen air mattress, a single pad for the 4 year old, and a pack-n-play for the baby.
Can stand up anywhere in the tent, not just the middle.

Only downside is it takes up a lot of room when packed, but not a big problem if you have a truck or bigger SUV.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
For true, fair weather, camping you can get by with Eureka and Coleman Family tents. I have Alaknaks that I use for both Family and Base Camp Hunt Camping. I really like them. I can set them up by myself if needed and I can use a stove in them if needed.

When car camping this is how I roll:

Kodiak Canvas truck tent, Bedrug & custom made mattress. Has seen the worst nature can throw at it including rain, snow and 70mph wind without a leak or a ripple in the canvas.

Last edited:

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I will also say a Springbar or Kodiak Flexbow is a pretty great tent. I have a Flexbow 10x14 it is great. Super heavy rubberized floor, dlb. doors, great ventilation, and has a 6' covered entry. You can have a stove jack sown in as some have done. It is not free standing but will work great for a family of three and as a base camp.

stephen b

WKR
And another endorsement for Springbar tent. They are IMO a worthwhile investment- very well made canvas tent made right here in USA. Taken care of they will last a long time.

I have the 10x10 Traveler size and it is great for 2-3 or even 4 or so if a family. And it is a palace for a solo base camp tent. I have had it for 11 years and it looks like it is just getting broken in.

Another that I sometimes take for a base camp tent; (and one I take when I want to take one that is slightly smaller when broken down) is a Eureka Timberline 6 man Outfitter tent. It is a time tested A frame design that is well made; does not brake the bank; and is one that can also take some weather.

The Cabelas Guide models are also a good base camp tent- a hunting partner of mine loves his.

Good luck with your choice!

I stand corrected. Yes they still offer the Alaskan Guide Series tent, but they changed the entire tent system that was the major selling point of that series- namely the vestibule system.
I've got one with the vestibule and I think I'm going to put a stove jack in that vestibule and put a wood stove in it
Tim