Most efficient body "type"?

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies and I have been debating what the most efficient backpack hunter/mountain hunter/High country body type is. I vote on the lean, light, strong. Dare I say "crossfit" style? (Think Aron now) While on the other hand, a couple other buddies are on the big muscular "beast" style (Early pics of Aron!).

I think all the extra huge muscles require significantly more oxygen without having any real practical return. Lighter is typically faster and more efficient.

There is a "beast" high profile hunter that they are using to argue. I argue back that he isn't really doing the hunts that we target. (DIY 10k'+ backpack style). He did a few years back when he was significantly smaller...

Lets hear what everyone else thinks or has experience with?

I suppose I could have put this thread into the fitness forum?

dotman

WKR
My vote is on the current Aron, if the old Aron body trope was better well it would be the current Aron ;).

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt the lean and mean will top the overly muscular frame anyday in the mountains........think mountain sherpa type...........in addition to the frame and big heart you need the desire on top of it.......

Tanner

WKR
I'd take a look at Kurt Racicot and try to be that. Luckily I'm built similarly- but not in the same class of hunter/hiker/mountaineer.

Tanner

That's about right. I have a brother and as sister who are both built long and lean and can easily out run me in the mountains. My one younger brother in particular has a long stride that I haven't been able to keep up with since I was about 10. I cover ground at a slow trudge and just hope I get where I'm going before dark.

Yk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the build or body is more than 10% of the equation.

Mentally tough men will dominate in the mountains over just those that are physically fit. Men from the 30's, 40's & 50's were just plain mentally tough and fought through many issues. Most of our current population under 50 have had a fairly easy go of it compared to our previous generations.

I know fat guys that can demolish most fit guys in the woods, Roy Roth comes to mind. One of the most mentally tough mountain men to ever live.

I have been in the woods with superior fitter guys that fold when conditions get tough, because they have no mental preparation.

So my vote goes to a mentally tough bastard that won't give up when things are tough over the fittest guy I know who pusses out if things get tough.

DaveC

WKR
That's funny. I recall reading the Timberline 1 article from a few years ago and thinking Mr. Snyder's got 10-15 pounds of upper body that's just extra weight on a backpacking trip.

In my experience, uber-lean is not helpful on longer backcountry trips. When I drop down into what I'd spitball as upper single digits of body fat I get cold way too easy, and need to eat way too much. A touch of sub-surface bivy surplus is handy, and gives you a good reason to not slack on the ice cream.

60x

WKR
About 5' 9", 55 years old with a slight gut and a bad back?

Hey I know that guy... Lol

Most sheep guides I know are tall and lean. But they also just do it. I was never the super lean guy and I also smoked but rarely got out done .if I did I just put more weight in their packs;) I've had clients ranging from super athletes to out of shape shouldn't be in the mountain types and watched all types fail and succeed. There is lots more to it then body and fitness. The most efficient in the mountains are this with a balance of fitness and a superb mental toughness!

tttoadman

WKR
My brother and I are on opposite sides of the coin. I am 5'-10 and beat myself to death to stay around 190. He is 5'-9 and has to eat protien shakes to stay at 155. We do battle side by side year after year.

I can totally attest to the differences. The conditioning will improve no matter what, but some aspects seem to be noticable. I can out pack him all day, but I am in the dust when it is time to bomb up a hill to cut some bulls off. Somewhere in the middle may be perfect if we could get there.

60x

WKR

Mentally tough men will dominate in the mountains over just those that are physically fit. Men from the 30's, 40's & 50's were just plain mentally tough and fought through many issues. Most of our current population under 50 have had a fairly easy go of it compared to our previous generations.

I know fat guys that can demolish most fit guys in the woods, Roy Roth comes to mind. One of the most mentally tough mountain men to ever live.

I have been in the woods with superior fitter guys that fold when conditions get tough, because they have no mental preparation.

So my vote goes to a mentally tough bastard that won't give up when things are tough over the fittest guy I know who pusses out if things get tough.

Missed this post... Spot on!!

husky390

WKR
Fat guy's. We don't need to consume as many calories as the skinny guy's. :)

I thought I was in shape and then I hiked with Aron and some other guy's who could keep up with him. But they're on a whole different level that I need to be on and it was an eye opening experience. And I agree with Rosinbag's point of mental toughness. Body types don't matter to a point. Does being skinny have it's advantage? You bet, there's a lot less wear and tear on the body when you're closer to your ideal body weight. I know this as a fact as I've experienced it myself. But, fat guy's can be fit as I've walked a couple skinny crossfit guy's into the ground on hunting trips. I believe the saying "If you're the smartest one in the room, you're in the wrong room" applies to this.

bounds

WKR
Yep, mental toughness and the want-to trump physical prowess. Anyone met Dustin Roe? Probably the smallest sheep guide in the game but man can he hike and pack.

Definitely doesn't hurt to be in the best overall shape (speed and strength combo) you can get your body in though.

I really have to agree with this. My father is fairly heavy and I myself while not fat I'm certainly not lean. Took a friend of mine and his dad with us a few years ago Into the wallowa mountains for elk. These MTN's are not for the faint of heart. Both these guys were in great "gym" shape. And ran quite a bit. After the second day their feet, shoulders and backs were destroyed. They literally stayed in camp for 2 days when they finally just wanted to go home. Thank god we didn't kill anything. I had to carry my buddies gear out, he was embarrassed and never asked to go again. Being in good shape is always a good idea, but you need to be in the right shape and have the right mindset as well.

Jlbmlb4

FNG
I am 6'4 and on the years I was really into endurance training..run,bike,swim...and got down to 185 I struggled more than when I have gone in at 210. Some of that may have been that my body had not fully recovered from my endurance event the month prior. I do know I plan to be 205 to 210 this year. I think a guy needs some muscle in addition to the cardio conditioning to perform well at all tasks thrown at you during a week in high country.

littlebuf

Banned
the first two posts on this thread are hilarious :) you guys forgot to mention how handsome Aron is...