Best Long Range Fixed Blade Broadhead?

Tilzbow

WKR
Title says most of it but must be available in 125 grain. Looking for a broadhead for this year's Stone Sheep hunt where I may have to take a long shot and/or a shot in windy conditions.

jm1607

WKR
I don't think you could go wrong with solids, slick tricks, or ramcats.. Those are my favs

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Slick Trick shave been flying straight out of my bow. Both the standards and magnum.

JNDEER

WKR
testing done using a hooter shooter show Wac-Em's for best long range shooting.

Vandal 44

WKR
There are several good Broad heads on the market for long range shooting. I have tested and like The Shuttle T, Wac-Em and the Exodus. I have taken Elk and Deer with all three and would not hesitate to shoot any of these three.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
testing done using a hooter shooter show Wac-Em's for best long range shooting.

My testing has shown the same......especially the original 3-blade. Then the Shuttle T, and surprisingly the original 1 1/8" Silverflames. Then the Wac'em Exit 4-blade. The Ramcats fly good too, but I just can't get past breaking a blade every single time I've shot them into a foam target. I have some Slick Tricks and Exodus swept blade heads, but they aren't as consistent as my top 3. The 100gr Shuttle T is on par with the Wac'em, but I prefer 125gr heads and those larger Shuttle T's aren't quite as consistent as the Wac'ems.

My own redneck testing in the backyard at long range (100 yards) has shown Trophy Taker shuttle T locks to fly the best. Wac ems 2nd and slick tricks third.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I also say Wac'ems, i have never had better flight at long range with any other broadhead.

Rolo

FNG
I've had good results with STs, Exodus (non-swept) and VPAs at long distance. Trying some Helix heads now, and very impressed with the results. All 125 gr.

I am very pleased with the Shuttle T's accuracy at long range (and close for that matter), however; they are not very sharp and I haven't found a good way to sharpen them to any degree... I have shot plenty of game with them but they seem to "rip and tear" instead of slice... The animal still ends up dead... but I like a sharp head.

Slick Tricks flew great as well and they are sharp!

I will be trying out some Solid's this year. I hear they fly great and I know they will be sharp and easy to touch up...

Best of luck!

charvey9

WKR
I have good results with Montec 100gr out to 80 yards. They take a little more time to sharpen, but work good when you do.

I used Montecs for a year and while they made things die, I wasn't too impressed with the angle of the blade and with how soft they are. I had several that hit bone (rib or off side shoulder) and the tips ended up bent. YMMV but that made me switch. I never shot them beyond 30 yards though as all I hunted at the time were whitetails.

SDHNTR

WKR
Flight is more of a function of bow tune and shooter form, not the broadhead. That being said, assuming all things perfect and equal, the best flying fixed head will always be the smallest one with the least amount of surface area.

Take your pick of quality compact heads out there today, and spend your time worrying more about your practice and fitness rather than the name on the package of broadheads. JMHO.

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
My vote goes to Shuttle T's. I should say that I haven't shot a ton of heads to compare to, but thats because I've never had to. When something works I stick with it. Good Luck!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have just started testing the G5 Strykers and they have been grouping very well at long range and are very sharp. I have only shot my Rhinehart with it though.