Powder Shortage - Any Sign of Relief?

gelton

WKR
This is starting to get ridiculous. Ryan Avery has been looking for VV N570 for months, I have been looking for H1000 for weeks. I recently called a well known shooting supply company and here is how the conversation went:

Me: "So I am looking for at least 8lbs of H1000 powder, probably more. If I get in line and pay today, what kind of wait time could I expect?"

Them: "Sometime between now and eternity"

Me: "So you aren't even recommending that I get in line?"

Them: "You could if you want, but I can tell you now that I could get a whole semi truck full of H1000 and it wouldn't even fill your order."

He then went on a diatribe about Hogdon and how they aren't delivering anything and that there is no way they are working around the clock like they claim.

I am getting really fed up with the whole process. I am guessing its the new normal, but the new normal sucks. Anyone see any light at the end of the tunnel? Or, more importantly, any H1000?

Where are you located? A place in Lewiston Idaho called black sheep just got in something like 100 lbs of H1000 earlier this week I think. And yeah it's tough man there's not really an end in sight right now for powder/bullets. Especially the popular ones!

Mike

Ray

WKR
Up here at the end of the road, one small local shop gets a small box every 7 to 10 days. It will contain a vareity of powder (about 15 pounds), and he has no idea what it will be. He refuses to take an order and requests that you call back every week to see what showed up. However, some guys stop buy his store every day and clean him out when it shows up.

The new AK Cabela's just opened this week and yesterday was the first open to everyone day. Powder shelf was bare of anything decent within an hour, but I did get two pounds of H355 for the 358 winchester. I need H4350, but I have enough to get me buy for one more year as long as I practice with the .223. No large rifle primers either. One clerk said all the H4350 and all the pistol powder was gone during the three soft openings for VIP people. That will teach me to not have their credit card.

I hope Cabela's has enough purchasing power to keep something in stock. Sportsman's does not and the local little guys will never have any clout.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Where are you located? A place in Lewiston Idaho called black sheep just got in something like 100 lbs of H1000 earlier this week I think. And yeah it's tough man there's not really an end in sight right now for powder/bullets. Especially the popular ones!

Mike

I am NW of Austin tx. A common theme I am finding is small pockets of powder through local dealers who don't have the license to ship hazmat. For instance, someone here on rokslide is looking for retumbo. I know where to get it but they won't ship it anywhere. Someone here on the slide found me some h1000 but same story, they wouldn't ship. If your Local store will ship I will certainly buy. Is it the black sheep gun store in cordelane? Couldn't find one in Lewiston. I will be glad to call and see if that's the one.

Edit- found it will call.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Up here at the end of the road, one small local shop gets a small box every 7 to 10 days. It will contain a vareity of powder (about 15 pounds), and he has no idea what it will be. He refuses to take an order and requests that you call back every week to see what showed up. However, some guys stop buy his store every day and clean him out when it shows up.

The new AK Cabela's just opened this week and yesterday was the first open to everyone day. Powder shelf was bare of anything decent within an hour, but I did get two pounds of H355 for the 358 winchester. I need H4350, but I have enough to get me buy for one more year as long as I practice with the .223. No large rifle primers either. One clerk said all the H4350 and all the pistol powder was gone during the three soft openings for VIP people. That will teach me to not have their credit card.

I hope Cabela's has enough purchasing power to keep something in stock. Sportsman's does not and the local little guys will never have any clout.

My cabelas is always empty too. I have some IMR 4350 that I would be willing to trade but shipping it is the problem.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Black Sheep in Idaho doesn't ship powder either. Seems to me that all of these local shops could make a ton more money if they had hazmat licenses.

I have been waiting for some h1000 for about a month and got the same general conversation from Brownels this week. I walked into our local Big R and they had a bunch of retumbo they were unloading... so i switched ponies. hahaha They would only let me buy 3 pounds a day, went back the next day and it was gone.

Joe

OP
G

gelton

WKR
I have been waiting for some h1000 for about a month and got the same general conversation from Brownels this week. I walked into our local Big R and they had a bunch of retumbo they were unloading... so i switched ponies. hahaha They would only let me buy 3 pounds a day, went back the next day and it was gone.

Joe

Speaking of switching ponies that is what I am in the middle of. Have plenty of 4350 and 180 accubonds left over from the 30.06 and am just now starting to load for the 300 win mag. Of course, the experts say 180 grains and 4350 is inadequate for the 300 wm :):)

So after all the troubles in trying to find the magic H1000, I am in the process of reloading 50 more rounds of the Accubonds and 4350 just out of spite. This, even though I have 500 Berger 215's sitting on my shelf just waiting for the right powder.

WKR
4350 and 180 accubonds in a 30-06 is a good place to be while waiting for other powders.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
I just went and shot a few rounds of 4350 and 180 accubonds yesterday, out of the 300 win mag though. Stopped by the local gun store and they say they might have some H1000 next week. Keeping my fingers crossed and cleaning and sizing my brass.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
The wait is over, was able to pick up 2lbs of H1000 at a gun show today. Have another 8lbs ordered that is supposed to be here next week. Finally.

am up north visiting. ran into ex-bil saying herd to find pistol powder in the nw ohio area. lots of other and lots of primers. maybe a regional thing???