Very Successful!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I strive to teach my kids all that I can and whatever they will let me teach them with their 3 and 4 1/2 year old minds. When I set out to hunt with them I never expect to fill tags but rather teach them what I can about the outdoors and everything Mother Nature has to offer.

We were set up in an area that I had previously scouted that held a few decent birds and settled into the blind. Now keeping their focus on the hunt can be somewhat of a challenge as expected. We take numerous breaks outside the blind by throwing sticks, rocks, and whatever else we can find. My decoys usually take a beating by them too. The kids have become quite the callers when they want to be but usually end up sounding like a dying turkey of some sort.

We were packed up and ready to leave when my daughter made a tom sound off below us. All of our eyes about popped out of our heads. I especially thought there would be no birds within earshot due to the laughter and fun they were having when we were packing up. At any rate I stood the decoys back up that were knocked over by the kids and we rushed into the blind and I got everything ready. I let out a few more calls to which a gobbler answered each time. I just had enough time to get my release back on and an arrow nocked before the first bird advanced on my decoys. A quick shot dropped him in his tracks! As we high fived and talked about what happened another gobble sounded off. A quick look out the blind revealed a much larger bird running at us. That bird immediately jumped on the tom I just shot and began to work him over before my 2nd arrow too found its' mark!

It was an incredible day and a dream come true for me! Picture me walking out with a blind on my back, my pack and decoys strapped to that, my 3 year old son on my shoulders and my daughter following us with her hands full of items as well!

T WAS A GREAT DAY!! [/I]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Congrats! I applaud you for taking your young children along. It looks as though fate has smiled down on you as well.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonderful! I love hearing about families out there together getting it done! Thanks for the story and photos Jared!

trkyslr

WKR
jared, awesome hunt and thanks for sharing!!! great pics as well. wonderful memories for sure!

Finch

WKR
Congrats on the double! I use the same two decoys. How old were your kids when you first took them? Great photos too!

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you everyone! They were both 2 when I first started to take them out. I look forward to it each time!

Finch

WKR
Thank you everyone! They were both 2 when I first started to take them out. I look forward to it each time!
Awesome. My daughter just turned one yesterday and I plan to take her as much as possible. On her 5th birthday, it will be opening day of spring gobbler. :)

IAHNTR

WKR
Holy patience. My kiddo is 14 mo. and I tried to play with him in the blind I set up in the basement. He didn't want anything to do with it. Congrats on the success, both with the birds and more importantly your children. I sure wish my father would have done things like that.

That is awesome. I have a little girl that is three that I am going to try to take turkey hunting this year. If not she will definitely be in the blind during deer season.

rhendrix

WKR
What a double! And talk about icing on the cake having your kids there, congrats buddy!