Zeiss Victory HT vs. Swarovski EL SV

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I own a pair of Zeiss Victory BTP's from 2003 that I am thinking of giving to my father (who has an even older pair) and upgrading on. It's been a while since I looked at the optics scene and I am surprised to see that the Zeiss's were around $525 cheaper after the mail in rebate (Cabelas pricing). Now I know the eye is in the beholder (pun intended) but I would like to see what everyones thoughts were on the two. I love my Zeiss's but I also love my Swaro spotting scope so there is no particular brand loyalty in play here :)...

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
When I compared the 2 last year the price was much closer, and as such less of a factor. Both are remarkable instruments from companies that will take care of you after the purchase. The HT is brighter, SV has a bigger sweet spot and better edges. Beyond that it's mostly about personal preference. I preferred the ergonomics and view from the SV. Beyond that I could have flipped a coin and been happy with either. Don't forget to look at the SLC.

OP
AZGUY

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan,

I guess I never really thought of the slc's. What do they offer over the EL's that you can see other than being cheaper?

handwerk

WKR
I can't comment on that model zeiss but I've has my share of big 3 binos over the years and now have the swaro SV's and find the view to be amazing and the ergo's fit me quite well, I can't imagine anything better.

MattB

WKR
I cannot speak to the new SLC's, but my old ones had better ergonomics than my EL's, were shorter on overall length, and the SLC's are tripod mountable from the factory whereas the EL's need to be reworked by the Outdoorsmans or you need an adapter. If the glass is similar (have followed along), I would definitely give them a look.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I never really thought of the slc's. What do they offer over the EL's that you can see other than being cheaper?

The SLCs have some mild pincushion distortion, while the EL SVs are exceptionally distortion-free. Some people prefer the SLCs because they see the "globe effect" (AKA rolling ball) when panning the EL SVs. Many people do not notice rolling ball with the EL SVs.

It does strike me as funny to hear an $2000 binocular described as "cheaper."

Everything is relative I guess.

;)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Matt summed it up. SLCs don't' have Swarovision(Field Flattener Lenses) I do see the rolling ball with the ELs. That said I like the fit, finish and fill of the SLCs over the ELs or the HTs. Go look through all three. The glass is so close but the price is not.... I've used the warranty services of both company's and the Swaro's is much better IME.

Last edited:
I owned Swarovski for many years but switched to the Zeiss HT last year and don't regret it.
I prefer Abbe Konig prisms and the new Schott HT glass isn't available to other manufacturers yet.
I'm not concerned with the edge of field advantage that everyone claims for Swarovski since it actually hurts and strains my eyes when I concentrate on the edge of field view on any binocular.

That said, I would not mind, in the least, owning and using a Swarovski EL Swarovision!
I still hope Zeiss will bring out a new rumored 15x54 HT to go with my 10x42 HTs.
I would like to have a Swarovski STX 30-70 95mm spotter too. :cool:

MattB

WKR
I prefer Abbe Konig prisms and the new Schott HT glass isn't available to other manufacturers yet.

I have read the comment about preferring the Abbe Konig prisms a couple of times without explanation - can you elaborate on the tangible benefits of the system?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
To me the HTs are brighter. But I don't like the color. This is totally subjective but I love how swaro's show darker colors especially brown. You have to have them together in the woods to really see a difference. You can't see jack in the store.

Last edited:
I have read the comment about preferring the Abbe Konig prisms a couple of times without explanation - can you elaborate on the tangible benefits of the system?

Abbe Konig prisms are brighter than Schmidt Pechan for roof prism binoculars and refrain from the use of mirrors.
The cons are that they are longer and heavier and don't afford the ergonomics and handling ability the use of Schmidt Pechan allows.

Abbe Konig prisms are a superb match for Schott HT glass and work well with the Victory HT design.
For me, the balance and handling of my HTs is outstanding.
I definitely prefer AKs with the Victory HT.

Swarovski uses Abbe Konig prisms in their new SLC 15x56 which I believe is a step forward.
Would like to see Swarovski use AKs in more binoculars in the future and hope Leica does too.
The patents have ran out on AKs so they're not a Zeiss exclusive anymore and anyone can, now, use them.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Abbe Konig prisms are brighter than Schmidt Pechan for roof prism binoculars and refrain from the use of mirrors.
The cons are that they are longer and heavier and don't afford the ergonomics and handling ability the use of Schmidt Pechan allows.

Actually the Abbe-Koenig prism has 3 reflective surfaces (mirrors) to the SP's 5. Since light is lost to some degree (very small since the advent of dielectric prism coatings) at each reflective surface, the AK then has at least a theoretical advantage in brightness. Is this difference tangible? Hard to say.

Last edited:
Actually the Abbe-Koenig prism has 3 reflective surfaces (mirrors) to the SP's 5. Since light is lost to some degree (very small since the advent of dielectric prism coatings) at each reflective surface, the AK then has at least a theoretical advantage in brightness.

Thanks for your input.
Not a good thing to try from memory.
I will suggest wikipedia from now on. :)
...or birdforum.net where I'm way outclassed!

OP
AZGUY

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
bitterroot I guess price is relative at this point :). Thanks for the info guys I definitely agree on having to check them out in the field rather than the store.