Animal Down to Freezer

Ben

WKR
Hey guys,

As a new hunter, that hunts alone in the back country, without a guides or friends, my biggest worry is what happens after the animal is down. I hate the thought of loosing any meat, whether in the field or at home, to be negligent.

I've done a lot of reading on butchering and have watched just about every you tube video there is. However, I have yet to have some kind of basic instructions in laminated pamphlet form. Has anyone seen such a thing for sale? I have seen basic ones for skinning but not for taking all edible meat and organs.

I also plan on processes and wrapping my own meat as well. Are there any books out there that are more recommend than others? I've read the reviews but would rather here opinions from guys on here.

Thanks,

Ben

Shrek

WKR
I don't have any reading material but it's not rocket science. It's more intimidating having not done it yet than the doing it really is. The basics you can get off YouTube and the rest is taking a deep breath and diving in. Basics in the field is cut skin from underneath and with the fur lay as much as possible. Get the large meat areas off the bone and cooling first and trim up the small stuff later. Take a couple of pairs of surgical gloves and change them if they get dirty . Remember that it's much easier to keep hair and dirt off than to get it off later. Water is not your friend it just spreads bacteria in the field so clean dirt and hair when you are at home cutting up and putting it in the freezer. Bag the meat up quickly if flies are a problem. The quicker you get it cooled the better it will be.
If you have a stove that you can simmer water and spare water I like to have a pot of hot water. Fat builds up on the blade and a quick dip in hot water cleans it up and makes cutting easier to me. I particularly like to clean the blade when I switch from cutting meat to skinning. A blade covered in fat picks up hair something fierce. Are you someplace where you can find a butcher ? Not many left but if you can find one who would let you watch it would give you a better idea of what you are doing.
If you are hunting a later season when it's cool it not as critical as when you are hunting the warmer archery seasons. Sorry I don't have any books to offer but I'm sure that there are some. They don't need to be for game as all the animals are laid out about the same. Books about cows , pigs , and sheep will all give you the cuts. Learn the gutless method and debone it in the field. Good luck and hope you get more information from some others here.

Ray

WKR
The easiest way to learn how to field dress and salvage meat is to do it. Get your hands dirty. When I tell people this they retort that they are new hunters and have yet to take anything, and like the OP they don't want to lose meat the first time.

I then ask them if they have ever broken down a whole chicken? Most say yes. What is the difference between a deer and a chicken? When it comes to meat processing there is little difference. Four limbs, rib cage, guts, spine, pelvis, and skin.

So, if you want to learn how to break a critter down get a whole chicken or rabbit and go to work and learn how all the joints and muscle groups fit together. A deer is just a huge rabbit.

Shrek

WKR
If you really want to practice the buy a bbq pig or sheep/goat from a local farmer and have at it. They are not that expensive and then you will have cut up an equivalent animal and gotten a feel for it. I wouldn't recommend a cow as it's a lot of money and work.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ray is right! The quickest way to learn is by doing. I brake down several animals a year and I am still a meat hacker:) Keep it clean and getter cooled down ASAP. The rest you can take your time with.

If your ever interested I'd tell you the exact process I use. We've always cut all our own game from start to finish. I'm happy to say,( like most of these guys probably) that I've converted many people to game meat lovers, that said they didn't like it.
The method I use is super simple. Nothing special just basically re-skinning(if on the bone), separating all muscle groups while removing off the bone, remove all fat and connecting tissue( make sure to grade hard around any blood shot or contamination), slice all steak quality chunks into steaks (or leave whole for BBQ or later slicing) pick a couple roasts out if desired, grind the rest for various uses, seal it in Costco plastic wrap and then a good one side sealed wrapping paper, then freeze.(vacuum sealers work good too, I just prefer good old wrapping paper. It holds up better IMO) There's probably a ton of variations and you kind of adjust your method to fit your own needs and style as you go.
I agree with what most these guys said about learning by doing. As long as you get it cooled out, the rest will come pretty easy after a bit.
Good luck and feel free to PM me with a number and I'd be glad to share my way of processing if you have questions.

OP
B

Ben

WKR
Thanks for all of the replies! I'll be going to the market to pick up a piglet on Tuesday. I'll report back with how to went...

Shrek

WKR
Just so you know , pigs are about the hardest animals to skin imo. Deer are MUCH easier to butcher all the way around. Once you have butchered a pig or two you won't think twice about other animals. Don't take me wrong , pigs aren't terrible or anything but they don't skin as easy and they usually have a lot of fat to work with. Good luck and enjoy your training adventure.

Vids

WKR
I've done it numerous times but I bought this book a couple years ago to help me figure out some of the steak cuts I knew I was getting wrong. It's a good book and will walk you through the whole thing from field to grinding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1440203709/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree with the statements above, it's really not hard. Quartering isn't rocket science, get the legs separated from the body and bagged up and get it out of there. Don't forget the tenderloins and backstraps. After I got better I've made sure to grab all the rib and neck meat too. I've found the front legs are easier to separate, pull up on the leg and you'll see where connective tissue is holding it in place. Just keep cutting that away until the leg is free. The back legs take a little more thinking since the rump part connects with the lower back a little bit. It's not hard, just a little tougher to make sure you get all the meat whole back there. If some of the rump ends up as trim don't sweat it, you'll get better with each animal.

As far as keeping it clean I would recommend the gutless method, just youtube it. One nice benefit of gutless is that you can skin one side of the animal, peel that back and use it as a clean place to set a quarter until you bag it. The only tricky part of gutless is getting the tenderloins, just wait until the end and then puncture the stomach cavity just enough to release pressure so you can get your hand in there to pull out the tenderloin.

Don't worry about memorizing the whole process before getting into the field. Every year I just get my animal quartered and home, then keep the book out as reference while I'm cutting up the quarters. Doing it all yourself is a blast and I find it much more fulfilling than dropping it off at a butcher!! Be careful though, next you'll end up dropping a ton of money on a grinder, sausage mixer and smoker. :D

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I just posted this link in the elk forum for someone asking about leaving evidence of sex on an animal, and thought people could use it in this thread too.

I paid 20 some bucks for this DVD years ago, and watch it before every season. It steps a youngster through the process of gutless method on a moose he just shot. Alaska F and G finally decided to put it online free. Doesn't get much better than this. I'll say I don't follow this exactly. Seems everyone gets their own tricks after they do it a few times. I found this much more useful than some redneck videos on youtube.

Its a 52 min video. Enjoy.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.meatcare

brettb

FNG
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
Alot of these posts are right on point. Just do it and the more you do it the easier and more confident you will get. One thing I have always thought and dont ask why I'm just now posting this is, if you really want to learn and have a lil free time, go by youre local prcessor and ask if he could teach you and you can learn the right way while possibly makin a few extra bucks. kinda like a part time second job. Just an idea i thought I would throw out there