Shooting for groups- which bench/rest setup

gethuntin

WKR
Ok for those that have compared which system do you think is best for shooting groups and load development.

Led sled no weight

Bipod and rear bag

Or

Bags front and back?

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
The closest way that you will be using it in the field. It's nice to have a bipod at the range but I backpack hunt without a bipod so I use a front sandbag that will replicate using my pack as a rest. You want the harmonics of your rifle to be as close to real world use as possible. So if you aren't going to use a bipod in the field don't use it at the range, it will slightly alter your point of impact. 500 yes and in prolly no big deal longer and it will start to mess with you.

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
I am referring to the most stable consistent platform for comparing loads during load development , not sighting in.sorry for the confusion.

gelton

WKR
No problem at all. But the point is still the same if you are developing a load it will likely shoot differently from a leads lead than sandbags so you aren't getting real world results. This is what I have found with my rifles they group differently from a bipod than sandbags. Never used a lead sled though.

Ok for those that have compared which system do you think is best for shooting groups and load development.

Led sled no weight

Bipod and rear bag

Or

Bags front and back?

I used to do all of my load development from the bench, with bags front and rear. I never liked a bipod on the bench. For the last 3 years, I haven't taken a single shot from a bench. All load development, MV checks, and zero checks are done from prone with bipod/rear bag or over pack/rear bag.

I try not to do anything with my rifles that is inconsistent with how I use them in the field. If your rifle is properly bedded to a stiff enough stock for consistent long range shooting, you should be able to shoot from any method described with no POI shift. I like to shoot each rifle I own from positions I will most likely use them in. Practice makes perfect...no benches or sleds in the woods!

Floorguy

WKR
My experience comes from smallbore shooting, however I think it translates into big bore hunting rifles as well. I haven't found a rest that I like yet but the lead sled does fairly well. One thing to remember is that the recoil has to go somewhere so if using a leadsled do not block the leadsled from moving for example by letting the front legs hang over the front of the table, unless you want the pressure of the recoil being transferred to the gun stock. What I don't like about the lead sled is that the recoil isn't as controlled and shot to shot the movement of the sled can vary. If you are shooting from a bench you own I would reccomend making a track of 2x2'stop guide the leadsled straight back instead of allowing it to go side to side.

Last year I saw a rifle vice system but have since forgotten what it was and think you would still have to permanently/semi permanently affix it to the bench.

I would also add that I would use a leadsled WITH weight not sure why you would go without weight

Edit to add: the smallbore shooting wasn't load development it was lot testing. In my testing I never found that the best lot tested from the vice shot worse than the other lots tested once out of the vice. The testing was standard for collegiate and international competitive small bore and air rifle shooting. Not really sure why it wouldn't translate into the larger bores for hunting

Last edited:
I've had some issues with the lead sled. Like others have said the recoil has to go somewhere and for me it creates very large muzzle jump. It's also not friendly to your scope and mounts. I have an extremely lightweight 300 weatherby and it really threw that scope off from quite a few rounds off the lead sled. I'll never use the lead sled again unless I'm sighting in a big bore rifle. For me it makes me uncomfortable shooting a rifle after you've been shooting on the sled then go to shooting without it because that recoil is a surprise to you.

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
gelton, my bad what your first post stated makes perfect sense just didnt think about it through and just had groups on my mind not POI.

why i dont put weight on the lead sled is i have the dft which is quite heavy already and more added weight put the punishment on the scope and stock

gelton

WKR
I just know from experience...I have an old Remington 700 30.06 in a tupperware stock (i.e. not perfectly bedded) that shoots lights out with a bipod and like T total shit without one. So if I were developing a load based on grouping, I would want to use the method that I would be using in the field, because the results and best grouping round might be different based on the harmonics of how it was shot. Here is a video that touches on the subject:

[video=youtube_share;ZwJcVBWzOTc]http://youtu.be/ZwJcVBWzOTc[/video]

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to do all of my load development from the bench, with bags front and rear. I never liked a bipod on the bench. For the last 3 years, I haven't taken a single shot from a bench. All load development, MV checks, and zero checks are done from prone with bipod/rear bag or over pack/rear bag.

I try not to do anything with my rifles that is inconsistent with how I use them in the field. If your rifle is properly bedded to a stiff enough stock for consistent long range shooting, you should be able to shoot from any method described with no POI shift. I like to shoot each rifle I own from positions I will most likely use them in. Practice makes perfect...no benches or sleds in the woods!

Yeah, what he said.:cool: When I get "close" to some thing that looks like it has potential, I move out to 200 to do my development. And I also shoot 3 shot groups.

Randy

Broz

WKR

Exactly!! Rifles shot from a leadsled will also many times show a different velocity too.

Jeff