Arcteryx Talos combat pants

kodiakfly

WKR
Eh....first off is the price for LEAF stuff. It looks cool, but for $240 you can get more than a "hot climate" (read-lightweight, single layer) pant. For that price, you can get something in a soft shell, waterproof, more indepth pant. LEAF stuff is just insane on pricing; even compared to other Arc'Teryx stuff. Now, that's probably because it's flame retardant or built to function as part of a larger mil system, but $240 for a pair of light pants?

Next is they're a cotton blend. I refuse to hunt/hike/fish in anything cotton-evens socks and underwear. "Cotton kills." For that price, they could've put merino in there. It'd still be FR and moisture wouldn't be an issue. Cotton is a disaster in active wear, and it can literally kill you in a survival situation.

That said...if you can get it cheap on ebay or something...sure, go for it. I'm sure they're nice pants. I stumbled across a set of LEAF Fusion puffy/Windstopper pants AND jacket on ebay for a steal and I jumped on them. I paid less for the set than what the pants or jacket go for alone...and there's no cotton in them, so it was a helluva deal. So I'm not anti-LEAF. Just watch for better prices and no matter what you get, I'd get something without cotton in it.

OP
F

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Some good advice there. Thank you.
The funny thing is I was able to handle a pair, and by the feel of the fabric, they are far from what I would consider lightweight….. at least compared to some of my other lightweight quick dry pants I have…..these would be pretty heavy for true hot climate conditions.
….but yes the cotton blend is concerning.

…….and whats really crazy is the full synthetic and warmer pants they manufacture are over $500!

Does the military really use this stuff?

kodiakfly

WKR
I'd guess the average boot on the ground, likely not. Special ops guys that write their own tickets and grow beards...yeah, they don't flinch at $2000 in rain gear.

I'm in the CG and we use Massif undergarments for our dry suits we fly in. The "fleece" jacket alone is like $350...but it's FR and it is warm as hell. Add to that the bibs, and two other layers and we're looking at well over grand before we even talk about the FR dry suit itself. Would I pay that for a normal fleece jacket? Not in a million years. But is it the going rate for military issued flight gear with no cotton? Yes.

Leaf gear is awesome. that said its price is so far over the top its ridiculous. and its strictly because 99% of that product I would bet goes to military. they would never sell any of it if they ran those prices for regular joes.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they sell it the military fairly cheap, but then use the marketing tag "Special Ops" to charge more to the consumers. ;)

There is an outlet shop opening in Castle Rock, Co soon. I would like to see what the prices are there.

OP
F

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
well…. I picked up a pair for general use and plain old kicks! They are comfortable though…

Decent price too…. had my buddy who is law enforcement pick them up which saved me 30% right away...