Tikka Bolt Stop Mod

Rucker61

WKR
Tikka's are all long action, but they block off the magazine and short-stop the bolts on short action rounds like the .308 I have. This limits the length of a round to what fits in the magazine and doesn't let you load close to the lands. There's a bolt stop mod out there that, combined with a long action magazine, allows you to get around the length limitation. Has anyone ever had this done, or know someone who has? I'm torn between changing up my .308 to push out to just short of the lands or buying a new rifle in a bigger caliber. I've never shot anything bigger than 308, so I'm not sure how recoil sensitive I may end up being.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Brownells sells the bolt stops as a pair of both long and short (I think from my research) for $65. I found a YouTube of a guy taking it out and the process is simple. I am considering the same modification as you but haven't called Brownells yet. I will try to post a link to the product on Brownells.

Dammlm

FNG
I did this mod on my own for my 300wsm. Simply remove the bolt stop (black rocker button on side of action). Put it in a vise and use a hand saw with with fine tooth blade and make a cut back further at the next "gusset". Then simply make another cut starting from the front and go backwards to remove square chunk of metal. Touch up and fine adjust with a file until the bolt will travel back far enough to grab a round from the new longer mag. It may take a few tries to remove enough material back far enough. Very simple, just think it through and take your time. Buy the longest mag available.

OP
R

Rucker61

WKR
I had seen the Brownell's product; I just didn't want to pay $65. Dammlm, thanks for the vote of confidence. I pulled the stop out to look at it myself, and it should be doable. I need to upgrade my hacksaw blade, I think. Magazine and new brass is on the way from Midway, so I'll start working on mods early next month. I'm going to have the rootenist, shootenist .308 on the block. Then I can load up 400 rounds of AMAX to practice with.