WAAS, GLONASS, and Your GPS

dblust

FNG
WAAS

Most (if not all) newer hand-held GPS units offer a WAAS (for Wide Area Augmentation System) option.

Basic GPS signals alone do not meet Federal Aviation Administration accuracy standards, especially for precision flight approaches. As a result, WAAS was developed. WAAS is a network of ground reference stations located throughout the United States, including Hawaii and Puerto Rico, that greatly enhance GPS signal integrity, availability, and accuracy.

With WAAS enabled - and especially if your GPS features GLONASS and you have that enabled as well - your receiver will acquire much faster and with precision in most cases down to 3 meters or even less.

As of now, WAAS is not available outside North America, though a similar system, EGNOS, is currently functioning in Europe.

If your GPS offers the WAAS option, enable it. There’s no reason not to, and the benefits are significant.

GLONASS

Globalnaya Navigatsionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, (Global Navigation Satellite System, or GLONASS), is the satellite navigation resource created and operated by the Russian Aerospace Defense Forces - it’s the Russian GPS system.

As of this writing, GLONASS is the only alternate to American GPS that provides coverage the world over as well as featuring an equal level of precision. Not only does it furnish an alternative to GPS, but works in conjunction with it, enhancing overall speed and accuracy.

A number of American GPS receiver manufacturers, including Garmin, support GLONASS as well as GPS in their newer models.

The Garmin eTrex 10 is one example. Garmin’s approach is to permit the selection of either the GPS alone or, (as shown below), GPS and GLONASS in conjunction.

eTrex 10 and GLONASS.jpg

Various reports have credited receivers that support GPS and GLONASS in conjunction with an increase in effectiveness of 30% or more. My own experience leaves little doubt in my mind that’s true, especially in areas of thick cover. (Note that the receiver in the photo is showing a position fix down to two feet in horizontal accuracy.) In addition, my eTrex 10 definitely acquires a position fix a good deal faster than my older eTrex H, which is nonetheless an excellent unit featuring enhanced sensitivity.

Combining GPS and GLONASS resources is an excellent idea, and Garmin had the good sense to make the combination available in a less costly unit.