Testing a lot of backpacking stoves

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been working on multiple articles this winter (extended use testing and reviews) and out of everything I've been using, the backpacking stoves have been the most fun to test.

It started because I'm supposed to be heading to the northwest territories for a few months this year and the outfitter prefers using a multifuel stoves over canister stoves. So I bought (and returned most of them) just about every liquid fuel stove on the market. After getting al of those, I figured I better go the distance and test all of the canister stoves out as well.

Here's the list of what I've tested so far:

Jetboil SOL and SOL TI

Primus ETA lite

Primus ETA Spider

Primus Omni lite

Primus Omni fuel

Primus Express

MSR Reactor

MSR Whisperlite Universal

MSR Whisperlite International

MSR XGK EX

MSR Pocket Rocket

Snow Peak Giga

SOTO OD-1RX Windmaster

While testing these stoves, I/we also tested multiple cooking pots/cups. These cups ranged from standard SS to high end titanium.

The biggest thing I noticed about the cooking pots when related to stove efficinacy, was the difference in boil time when the cooking pot I was using had the ETA (or similar) type of technology. This is the part of the cooking pot that's located on the bottom and looks like a bunch of zig-zag lines that go up and down. I always knew that this made a difference in efficiency, but wow, I had no idea how much it helped.

A good example was the test we did this last week with the Primus ETA Spider. When we boiled 16 oz's of water with the Spider and ETA pot, we had a rolling boil in 1 minute and 11 seconds. We then swapped over to the Titanium cup (no ETA technology) and it took 3 minutes and 12 seconds with the same amount of water. The titanium cup was much lighter in comparison, but that saved weight would quickly reverse itself in saved fuel on extended trips.

A couple examples of what I'm talking about

http://www.olicamp.com/products-pots/xts-pot
http://primuscamping.com/collections/cookware/products/eta-pot-1

As far as multifuel stoves go...they are not all created equal!

Some burn HOT, but have issues with simmering. Others will burn white was really well, but have issues when swapping over to diesel fuel.

If you look at the MSR XGK EX, you will see a bomb proof stove that will just about burn a whole through your cookset, but be prepared to burn your Ramen, cause it only has one speed....fast!

The Primus Omni lite (it's winning the multifuel race right now) has been a big surprise for me as well, as it simmers well, is light weight and burns all types of fuel pretty good.

The MSR Reactor and Primus ETA Spider are at the top for canister stoves, but the designs are a good bit different.

I'd like to get some comments on these stoves (what you've used and what you like), before I finish my article.

Thanks everyone!

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
I can only comment on the MSR reactor. It has not let me down in 4 years, i like the flameless design, works good at 6500 in windy conditions. I haven't looked into others because i have been very happy with the reactor.. Look forward to your reviews to c how it stacks up in the stove camp war... Good luck in the NWT, enjoy your time there..

Aaron,
Good information on the stoves and pots. I've used the MSR XGK's for quite a long time and they are simply a blast furnace like you said. When reliability and speed counts, that XGK is usually the stove to use. The XGK has more high altitude cooking under it's belt than all the other stoves that are out there. I had really good luck with the old MSR Dragonfly stoves, but then moved to the Primus Omni Lite. It's nice to be able to adjust the heat output if simmering or actual cooking is desired, rather than just boiling water. I have not burned all of the various fuels in my multi-fuel stoves though, so can't add much information. I just use white gas in them and it's worked quite well. They have really machined and minimized weight on the newer multi-fuel stoves compared to what they weighed 15 years ago.

For the canister stoves, I love the MSR Reactor for groups or for bigger base camp type water boiling. For me, the size and weight are a killer on solo hunts. I have another thread where I hacked the bottom off the Jetboil Ti cup (like Luke Moffat did) to utilize the radiant fins combined with a SOTO Windmaster. The SOTO on 3/4 to 1/2 setting appears to compete fuel efficiency wise to the Jetboil Ti Sol burner.

Another thing to watch out for on remote trips with stoves is what fuels they will fly with. Some of the Iso-Butane fuels do not have a DOT SP code. The best thing to do is call whoever you're flying with and get the name of the fuel they say can be flown with. This might not be such a big deal in Canada, but I know that here in Alaska, they've pulled my canisters before and said they will not fly with them. Fortunately, another approved canister could be bought just down the street.

I've used three stoves in my time in the backcountry, the MSR Whisperlite, which I bought for trips overseas because of the various fuel sources it could use. It took a lot of maintenance because the fuel was always dirty. Then I got an MSR Pocket Rocket and I still have it and use it all the time. It is a bit slower, especially when I get above about 5,000', but it's simple. However, depending on the amount of water I am trying to boil and my patience level, it will do what I need it to. Lastly, I bought a used JetBoil. Super fast, but I hated how tall it was. I couldn't find a spoon long enough to get the last bit of chow out of the bottom. I am now back to using my Pocket Rocket with a GSI cup and I have had no issues.

justinspicher,
Check out the long handled Sea to Summit or Optimus, they'll reach the bottom of the taller jetboil cups. MSR also makes some foldable spoons that are long enough.

supercub

FNG
Aron, aluminum's thermal conductivity is about 10x greater than titanium. This may have skewed your test results when comparing w/ and w/o the thermal fins. Wall thickness of the pot will also have an effect.

Wow, that's a lot of stove testing.

As far as multifuel stoves go...they are not all created equal!

Some burn HOT, but have issues with simmering. Others will burn white was really well, but have issues when swapping over to diesel fuel.

If you look at the MSR XGK EX, you will see a bomb proof stove that will just about burn a whole through your cookset, but be prepared to burn your Ramen, cause it only has one speed....fast!

The first liquid camp stove I used was one of the old brass Primus No. 71. I see you missed that one. :D Mostly though I've used the various Whisperlights (reg and intl), and a XGK II from the '90's. My favorite by a large margin is the XGK II. It's an extremely sturdy design as you say, and the solid fuel line on those older stoves makes for a very stable support. I suspect it's an oz or two lighter than the new versions also.

My old version can't be said to "simmer" per se, but I can turn it down enough to cook on without trouble. Moderate bottle pressure and about 1/4 turn on the the valve works fine. It still makes a lot of noise, but actual heat output is down quite a bit.

Making soup:

Grouse fajitas:

Even grilled cheese without burning it.

As far as canister stoves go, I've used a bunch. More than I can remember probably. Off the top of my head, the MSR PR, MSR Windpro, MSR Reactor, Snowpeak GigaPower, Optimus Crux, and Soto ODR-1 have all been used in my camps. Never used a JB, oddly enough.

The Reactor is certainly a bomber piece of equipment, albeit a heavy one. For the right purpose though, I think its great. I wouldn't mind owning one of those at all.

My favorite is currently the Soto strictly because of it's decent ability in breezy conditions (only w/ option windshield though), and very good flame control. Making pancakes over this stove is a cinch, which can NOT be said of some of the others. Not a fan of the pot stand arms though.

The Windpro is another that I've used a lot for backcountry canoe trips. It was better than the upright canister stoves for general cooking duties , and we made a lot of non-MH meals over it, but did have some issues with it clogging after a few years. The remote canister concept is good though and would probably still be my choice for river trips.

I'm headed out to Kodiak later this week, and will be taking a pair of liquid fuel stoves. Cheap fuel and ability to use a windscreen are the reasons. The XGK will also be the stove I take to the Yukon/NWT later this summer.

Yk

YK,
Funny you mention the old Primus 71 stoves, I was just looking at mine the other day.

That's interesting about the weight of the older XGK II, I figured the newer model would be lighter. I sold my old XGK and sometimes have regrets about it, since it is easy to service in the field and the one I would likely choose for an Antarctic or Himalayan trip (not that I'm going on one of those trips soon). :)

Have a great time in Kodiak.

YK,
That's interesting about the weight of the older XGK II, I figured the newer model would be lighter.

I'm not sure what a new one runs, but my old XGK is 10 oz for the naked stove, and around 12 oz for stove + pump. Basically identical to my first gen WL Intl, and less than an oz different than a standard WL. If fact, I think it's not too far off the Omnilite wt when you consider the whole package.

One thing I like about the MSR's is the US based customer service. When I needed new pot arms, they sent me a new set + spares for the cost of shipping. This for a stove they don't even make anymore. Hard to complain about that.

Yk

AndyB

WKR
Aron, I like the look of the eta pot with flux ring, but its a bit fat (deep) compared to my current pan. Do you know of any flux ring pans that are slimmer/smaller?

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
i have the Primus Express Spider..its so small and works so well I cant see using anything else.. I REALLY like the ETA system tho. Hopefully i can snag that windscreen and pot combo as well.

Shrek

WKR
I just got lucky I guess. First stove I purchased was the Primus eta express. It's so fast I'm sometimes not even finished getting the mountain house out and open before the water is boiling. I have a big pot , 1.3 L ?, and it's just right to boil enough for a Mountain House and coffee in one boil.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bump.. Hope Aron has time to complete this. I'm sure he will get some serious burn time behind whatever stove he drug with him... ;)

bobhunts

WKR
For me I would like to see a burn time rating based on the weight of the fuel. What stove consumes the least amount of fuel to get the job done. Basic comparison of how many 2 cups of water you can boil and the weight of the stove and fuel canister combined. Kinda a graph were one can figure out what stove will work for the trail they are on. I never cook anything other than MH meals out of the pack but would like to be able to put a fry pan on it and grill some meat if I am in an area where there is no wood to do a barbeque. Bob.

Ranger04

FNG
My go to stove is the MSR Whisperlite International. But, recently I purchased my first JetBoil, the Minimo. I chose the Minimo because it is fairly fuel efficient, good boil time, reasonably light weight and has a true simmer. And I like stoves. I used two weeks ago on an overnight trip and it performed well at 8,000 feet in elevation. I like the wider 1 liter boil of the Minimo compared to the taller pots on the other Jetboil stoves. I'm curious how it will do at higher elevations and colder temps.