Salomon Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I've had my eye on these shoes for awhile now after training with a couple guys that have them and rave about them. After going down to Arizona and a few of the competitors had them as well and had a decent advantage in the traction department, I decided to pull the trigger. They have a similar heel height as my current running shoes so I thought switching over would be easy. My running shoes just weren't cutting it on trails. I also plan to use these for any scouting trips in July or when I wont have a heavy pack.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/speedcross-3.html

I plan to get a trail run in on Sunday (pending strained hamstring) and Ill keep this thread updated with pictures and opinions on them!

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Dirty Girl Gaiters.... they are lighter and work well.... plus they come in camo!

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nice Brock, been using speedcross 3s for 3 years now and do all my spring/summer backpacking and hunting in them and love them. That said I hate running so can't comment on how comfy they are for that.

trkyslr

WKR
I have these and theyre awesome. I switched out the soles tho as the stock soles are flat. I prefer a higher end sole with more heel support, high arch support, and forefoot cusion.

bmart2622

WKR
I recently picked up a pair for trail running, ive done a handful of runs in the some far. The grip is phenomenal. Gonna put them to the test tomorrow in the Spartan Race, we'll see how they do there

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I am glad that everyone is happy with them so far!

breacher

FNG
I've thought about using a trail runner for backpack bowhunts and actually looked at Salomon shoes. To those of you that use this type of shoe, do you find the extra ankle support of a mid-height boot is not necessary?

I going on a trip this August in Northern California. Steep wilderness. I'd love a lighter shoe but wonder if I need the ankle support.

Any thoughts?

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair two weeks ago. I have used them for hiking and trail runs at South Mountain in Phoenix. For some reason half way through the run/hike the outside of my feet start to hurt, but then it quickly goes away. It's probably because I still need to break them in. Other than that they are great. I never use to run down some of the trails do to slipping, but with these I don't worry at all.

InDeep

WKR
I run in these all year . And can say that traction is awesome , shoe life is unrivaled I have over 600 miles on these . have ran 2 50ks in them and still run my short trail days with them. I have never ran a lick of hard surface so that might be the reason for longevity. But still these shoes are awesome all around !

jlsteel

FNG
I bought a pair a few weeks ago for training. Traction is great for running up hills in them compared to my old pair of new balance.

I got a pair of SpeedCross 3 shoes a couple months ago and absolutely love them.

Awesome traction and much more water resistant than my Merrell Trail Gloves.

I've thought about using a trail runner for backpack bowhunts and actually looked at Salomon shoes. To those of you that use this type of shoe, do you find the extra ankle support of a mid-height boot is not necessary?

I going on a trip this August in Northern California. Steep wilderness. I'd love a lighter shoe but wonder if I need the ankle support.

Any thoughts?

I've been using trail runners for a few years now and love 'em. There are those that I've hunted with that claim I'll twist my ankle, etc. but have had no issues thus far. My last set of boots were a pair of La Sportivas and I quit using them in '08 and have been running (pun intended) strictly trail runners since. I've used Salomons, Keen, and recently picked up a pair of Solomon XT3 Wings and love them. I've bow hunted in OR, ID and MT with only trail runners in some steep country and have packed out elk without any issues.

Full disclosure: Due to all of the reviews on Salomon 4D GTX boots I picked up a pair in December and they're pretty dang comfortable. Salomons fit very well for my foot and are well worth the coin IMO.

Ironman8

WKR
I run in fairly minimal shoes, Brooks PureConnect (4mm heel drop), so I'm wondering would these feel too different with its 9mm heel drop? Or is there something out there that is around 4mm drop that would feel more similar to my pavement running shoes?

chindits

WKR
Very timely post. I destroyed my merell trail shoes with 2 summers of scouting. I've been looking for a more durable shoe for multi day crosscountry scouts.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
With regard to the ankle support question, I haven't had any issues packing moderate (for me, up to around 60lbs) loads in saloman trail runners for all our hiking/pack rafting trips in spring/summer. I do notice I have a tendency to get a little more sore if I side hill for a long ways but if anything if feel like spending most of the spring and summer in less supportive footwear helps me build up the strength in my legs and ankles. Once hunting season rolls around and I switch back to my Hanwags for mountainous terrain, the full shank and extra ankle support make me feel super stable on uneven footing and with a heavy load.

I would recommend replacing the stock insoles with something more supportive if you plan to pack a heavy load. I use pink super feet in mine (they are the women's equivalent to men's orange) for added support and cushion. Also Helps provide a little bit of torsional rigidity since the shoes doesn't offer much on their own.