Bad choice for Colorado Muzzleload?

Thanks Mike I will follow up and post what I find out.

They worked very with me when I was seeking approval for the DISC bolt and opening to see the cap and allowed weather in... Think I talked to the Hermiston office at the time and he followed up through the State....

Oregon's 2014 regulations now allow the use of non-lead bullets for muzzleloader hunts. From page 30 of the 2014 regulations. The following text is printed in the color blue, indicating it is a change to the prior year's regulations:

"Only conical bullets made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic shot material, with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter, and round balls made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic material, used with cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. It is illegal to hunt with non-lead bullets except for those made of federally-approved nontoxic shot material, jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic tips or bases during muzzleloader only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only."

The sticky point is that copper is not technically on the list of "federally-approved nontoxic shot" since that designation is for bird shot. I have a close friend who is fairly high up at ODFW and he says the all copper THOR bullet meets the intent and he is checking into it.

Another complication, I talked to the owner at THOR and he wants to get away from the bullets without the plastic tips. He says he buys all his bullets from Barnes with the plastic tip and has to drill out each one for the non-plastic tip version. I suspect if the demand was there, he's likely continue doing it. I may just chuck them in a lathe and do it myself.

For the time being I will continue to use 460 grain No Excuses bullets out of my Knight DISC Extreme which will shoot better than 2" groups at 100 yards with that bullet.

Last edited:

jb79

WKR
Umpqua hunter, i was wondering what your set up is on you disc extreme? Peep or open, did you get the western model or the 209 snd then buy the #11 breach plug? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one and was curious which is the best way to go.... Also if anyone knows does the disc extreme come drilled for scope/ peep in both the western and 209? I don't currently hunt out if state but would like to one day so am I better off with the 209 and conversion for #11

I shoot a TC and use 295 grain powerbelts with 90 grains of 777 loose powder. I am using Winchester 209 primers. The accuracy isn't anything to write home about but it gets the job done with open sights. As others have stated you won't be shooting 300 yards down range with open sights. Powerbelts is the best thing I have found since we can't use sabots. Good luck

CoHiCntry

WKR
I shoot a TC and use 295 grain powerbelts with 90 grains of 777 loose powder. I am using Winchester 209 primers. The accuracy isn't anything to write home about but it gets the job done with open sights. As others have stated you won't be shooting 300 yards down range with open sights. Powerbelts is the best thing I have found since we can't use sabots. Good luck

IGWT... you should try some Thor bullets. I shoot a T/C too and they group WAY better than the powerbelts. I used to use 295 PB's too and could never get them to group to good. Switched to 250 grain Thors.