New Article: Pants for the Backcountry, by Matt Wymer

trdhunter

WKR
I have been wanting to try the vertx pants for work. Think I am going to go ahead and order two pairs, one in black for work and grey for hiking/everyday. Does anyone know how they compare to some of the 5.11 pants?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer them to 5.11 as they are more subtle. No issues with durability on my Vertx to date. Been running them 2-3 years now.

rodney482

WKR
My goto warm weather pant is still the Sitka Ascent followed by the Attacks.

Gonna check out the vertx stuff

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with the Ascent, I just appreciate the versatility of the Vertx, especially for the price. I can wear them for just about everything from work, to church, to hiking, to shooting. The original Vertx are great for casual wear and I go back and forth between the Phantom LT and the Phantom OPs pants for general / outdoor use. Not sure I would hunt in them, but great for day hikes, camping, etc.

Be sure to browse the "tactical" websites they often have smoking coupon codes and I've been told Vertx is on Promotive. With the coupon codes they are a screaming buy...

PJG

WKR
Big fan of the Vertx, the fit and waist band also make for a great IWB concealed carry pant. Also, I believe the Centennial Gun Club in Colorado carries then in Highlander camo. Lots of pant for the money.

My goto warm weather pant is still the Sitka Ascent followed by the Attacks.

Gonna check out the vertx stuff

ascent were my favorite until i started using the valhallas. probably my fav, right up there with arcteryx perimeter. alios and attack are still solid choices in a heavier, more durable option.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice write up, my go to pant is the sitka ascent followed by the attack and mountain pant. think I like the attack pants the best but have not been able to wear the ascent's out yet after 3 solid seasons.

Great review, Need to add kuhl to the list for next go round.

Only thing I've found that compete well with my attack pants

topher89

WKR
Great write up, you peaked my interest in a couple of these pants.

I have been mainly using non-hunting pants in the backcountry. I am not into the camo thing too much so I am fine with solid colors. TAD Gear AC F10 cargoes for the summer and early fall, Patagonia Simple Guide softshells in the fall and winter and Cabela Microtex pants for Turkey hunting and big game hunting if it isn't too wet/cold. Mountain Khaki OMPs for daily wear. I also have a pair of REI softshell/hardshell hybrid pants (forgot the name) that really excel in wet weather but are too swishy and noisy for hunting. They get the nod for snowshoeing or non-hunting winter activities.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks topher89. We sure have a great selection of great pants out there! Its good we have options. Seems like the more I talk to folks the more I see the challenge the companies have in trying to appease everyone. Everything from fit, material, pockets, knee pads, etc. Lots of varying opinions out there!

topher89

WKR
Thanks topher89. We sure have a great selection of great pants out there! Its good we have options. Seems like the more I talk to folks the more I see the challenge the companies have in trying to appease everyone. Everything from fit, material, pockets, knee pads, etc. Lots of varying opinions out there!
Totally. There probably isn't a "perfect" pant out there. It is all based on what you want, the price and availability. I love my TAD pants but they are rarely in stock. When I bought them it just so happened I had the money and was looking for pants. If they weren't available I probably would have bought something else and been just as happy.

Same thing with the Patagonia softshells, I can try them on locally, I can't try on KUIU pants.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Love the Kuhl Renegades, comfortable and durable for there weight.