Weight saving tips.

kyle1112

WKR
Ok well I think I'm gonna follow your lead and get the app to see how I like before I sell my gps but I have a feeling it's goin away.

primitive

FNG
Keep your GPS Kyle, phones tend to shatter or break down with water or shock damage. The extra ounces of a GPS is worth the peace of mind I have found!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't gotten rid of my GPS but I use my phone most of the time. I look at this like most light weight options. Like a rifle for example. A 15 pound gun will be sturdier and easier to shoot but if used properly, you will have success with a much lighter rifle too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hear ya Justin. Thus me shooting a .5.5 pound rifle for nearly all my hunts. :) I just find that a phone battery sucks and for 10 day long trips I find being able to toss in an extra set of AAs is easier, cheaper, lighter, than running the battery down on my phone and having to haul a little charger along. The phone weights about the same as a eTrex 20. Doesn't play music or audio books but thats ok. :) Nothing wrong with using a phone as a GPS, but like it to be a separate device as I don't wanna run out of batts on my iPhone while I am trying to navigate back to camp in the milk fog. ;) For shorter trips or trips were navigation isn't really an issue then I can see it for sure though!

dotman

WKR
Most gps units are waterproof to certain extent and very durable, I don't think any quality full function smart phones are and I wouldn't trust a case but then again if you need a case you are probably back up in weight.

I just use the gps. Phones are made for city use and therefore the mfg have no need to add the extra mfg cost and material costs to make them durable for backcountry use. My phone goes but is packed away in a waterproof bag where it is protected.

eltaco

WKR
I still carry a phone and a GPS. My cell service is always spotty but love being able to call the wife and kids when I get the chance, and GPS never leaves my side when I'm in the timber... I've found some of my favorite wallows with aerial imagery while in the field. My phone takes fantastic pictures and the screen is worlds better than the GPS, but I don't find it hardy enough to trust fully for a hunt.

That said, am I the only one who thinks they should be able to bridge the gap between smartphone and GPS ? My Garmin is vastly superior for accurate location, durability, and waterproofing, but the screen is tiny and pales in comparison. Every year I check garmins website hoping for a better unit, but it hasn't happened yet. My Oregon is still my go-to GPS, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for the latest and greatest... if they'd ever truly improve on it.

I've used the S3 and the HTC One with good success.
I use the Trimble App on my HTC EVO but it doesn't fully function. Won't give bearing and distance info. Tracks location great and maps are nice on the big screen.

Justin, are you running it on the new HTC ONE M8?

I'm going to upgrade to either the S5 or the M8 in a couple weeks. Trimble recommended I get the S5, but I prefer the HTC, I think.

I'm using Hunt GPS Pro and I did the subscription and downloaded the maps.

I'm using the computer to setup my September elk trip and then I'll sync the info with my phone and tablet when I'm done.

Weekender

WKR
I'm using Hunt GPS Pro and I did the subscription and downloaded the maps.

I'm using the computer to setup my September elk trip and then I'll sync the info with my phone and tablet when I'm done.

So far what's you impression? Worth it?

Thanks

So far, yes. I downloaded it last year while I was on my elk tripand wish I would've done it earlier to get the maps and everything set right. Once it's on your phone, you have a pretty powerful unit. Having the ability to drop in way points from your computer prior to the trip is nice. I can mark water hole, meadows, camp sites, etc and have them preloaded before I leave home.

I didn't have any problems keeping a signal and my battery lasted long enough for my use. My phone does have a glitch in it as I noted above, but it wouldn't stop me from using it as a primary and paper maps as a back up.

After looking at some more specs on the Samsung S5 Sport, I'm leaning that way now. It is water and dust resistant, has a removable battery and an expansion sd slot.

Buy a extended run time battery, preload your maps on the sd card and up load your way points... You now have your GPS, phone and camera all in one package!

kyle1112

WKR
There's also the lifeproof cases that you can buy that are waterproof, and yes they work, I put a lady's iphone 5s into a pint glass full of beer and all was good!

The smart phone is hands down the best multi use item I pack.

1:Entertainment device
Books, audio books games, music. Movies
2: paired with me delorme Inreach I can keep in touch with the wife and have an SOS feature
3:camera
4: flash light
5:alarm clock
6:GPS

I take a new Trent battery that can charge my phone around 6 times. I can get 3-4 days out of one charge with moderate use.