Volunteers needed! Help us get more WA Goat tags!!!

shanevg

WKR
Already posted in another thread - but just want to help spread the info!

Awesome news! Myself and others have been working hard with WDFW and Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance (http://www.goatalliance.org/ - become a member if you're not already) to help increase tag numbers in Washington state. WDFW has actually been very responsive and seems to be craving organized volunteer help. Early indications are that the highest likelihood of new tags in the near future are in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and we have a volunteer goat count set up for the weekend of August 15-17. The biologist's we've been talking to say that with a good goat count, we may see additional tags (yes plural!) as early as next year!

More info on the weekend can be found here: http://www.goatalliance.org/alpine-lakes-wilderness-summer-project/

If you want to help, please comment at the bottom of the page so we can get an early indication of how many people we are expecting and start figuring out organizational efforts. RMGA is already doing a ton for goat management in WA and other states throughout the west. If you're not a member already, please sign up right now, your $35 annual fee will start making a difference immediately!!!

Well this is even better than I thought, this is practically right in my back yard. My buddy and I already have this planned on our schedule and wouldn't miss it for anything.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you guys have a great turnout. I have to miss because of previous family obligations.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately it was cancelled. Lots of fire danger closures in the areas we were to survey made it not logical to proceed according to the organizers. There's talk of rescheduling for next June or July.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
yeah, sorry guys, but the main area we wanted to survey was closed by the forest circus the week before we wanted to survey, so the bio felt that we really wouldn't accomplish what we wanted to, so we are gonna shoot for next june/july and try it again.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Where was the intended area? It was a little weird to have everyone drive to the Joe Watt barn to meet when I thought the survey was going to take place in the ALW??

mmw194287

WKR
My understanding is that it is still in the planning phase, but that there should be more details ironed out in the upcoming months.

I was bummed this didn't go last year, looking forward to it. After my surgery, my doc still doesn't want me hitting any trails for a couple of weeks so I'm getting cabin fever. A buddy of mine has been seeing a lot of mountain goats west of Snoqualmie summit where there typically hasn't been many sightings in the past so I'm looking forward to hiking out to take a look for myself.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
We were glassing goats on rampart ridge 2 years ago while we were stuck in the road closure when they were blasting. Sitting on the pavement in the middle of the freeway leaning against the Jeep tires with spotting scopes out. Can't say I've done that since.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
YESSSS!!!! the survey is going to happen this year. I'm in talks with the bio and getting the plan put together. There will be more info coming in the next week or so. So tell everybody you can think of so we can get as many volunteers as possible to make this thing successful. Plan on camping out of your backpack overnight on the is project. More info to come...stay tuned.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO it should not be in August when hunters that would love to help out will be bear hunting...