Question about hilleberg Anjan vs nallo

murf45

WKR
I'm looking to buy a bombproof tent for backpacking and hunting. Ill be using it in northern Minnesota to the mts of Colorado and Wyoming. I don't do any winter camping. The only time I would see snow would be hunting in the high country, so wouldn't see much. I'm really liking the anjan 3 person for size/weight. I've been reading that there may be potential issues with ventilation. Im 6ft 200lbs my wife is 5ft 100lbs and hunting partners are about my size maybe a little bigger.
I would like to hear from people that have used the hillebergs, particularly the nallo & anjan and how they compare. Would I be able to get away with a 2 person or is the 3 person the way to go for two people? Also wondering if people have had any issues with ventilation in the anjan? As you know they are spendy tents so would like to make sure I'm making the right decision.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Definitely an awesome tent! I got see someone else's at my local dealer get set up. I liked it a lot. I ended up getting the Nallo 3 for more all season capabilities but it was a tough decision between the two tents.

OP
M

murf45

WKR
Yeah I'm just interested to see how the anjan will perform this fall I'm hoping it still holds up and ventilates well with a little snow. Are most people using a footprint with these tents?

jherald

WKR
I personally like the Nallo over the Anjan only because the outer tent runs all the way to the ground and seals out the elements and bugs. I dont mind paying the minor weight penalty for it.

I personally like the Nallo over the Anjan only because the outer tent runs all the way to the ground and seals out the elements and bugs. I dont mind paying the minor weight penalty for it.

i agree. and if your going in a warmer time of season you can leave the inner tent to go ultralight and just use the outer shell. i do love my nallo 3, its rode out some nasty storms

Tiger Rag

WKR
Yeah I'm just interested to see how the anjan will perform this fall I'm hoping it still holds up and ventilates well with a little snow. Are most people using a footprint with these tents?

My understanding is that Hilleberg only makes footprints for the American market because we have been conditioned to thinking we need them. They feel their material is so durable they don't really need footprints. Not sure if their stance has changed with some of the newer lighter weight fabrics. I'm impressed with all of their sample materials in their marketing material though. All are impressively strong.

Tiger Rag

WKR

That was what pushed me to the Nallo as well. I've got an UL 3 season tent if I need a tent that vents better. I wanted a fairly hardcore tent that was still pretty lightweight. I do like how the Nallo is designed with tons of venting options though. For me, the weight penalty was worth it. That's not to take anything away from the Anjan. It's a really impressive tent in it's own right.

OP
M

murf45

WKR
I've got the megatarp with a small stove so I didn't need a 4 season tent. I just liked the idea of a 3+ season tent for keeping the bugs away and keeping the wife comfortable. Bonus is it weighs 4lbs 10oz and hope to get it lighter with a few mods. I'll be able to comment to its ventilation after I put it through its paces.

Jdog

WKR
Have used a Nallo GT3 on several sheep hunts.

Been in some pretty nasty AK weather and never failed.

They make solid products.

I have a tub in the garage with a few tents...they are Big Agnes, Hilleberg and Kifaru. The Hille and Kifaru get the most use.

I've got the megatarp with a small stove so I didn't need a 4 season tent. I just liked the idea of a 3+ season tent for keeping the bugs away and keeping the wife comfortable. Bonus is it weighs 4lbs 10oz and hope to get it lighter with a few mods. I'll be able to comment to its ventilation after I put it through its paces.

Could you explain the mods you plan to do?

OP
M

murf45

WKR
Aron did a few to his 2 man. Smaller diameter guy lines, replace metal zipper pulls with synthetic line and replace carry bag with a cuben fiber bag. He also reached the tension adjusters but I need to do a little more research before doing that.

OP
M

murf45

WKR
1.8mm cord for guys and zipper pulls, ground hog stakes, and as far as cuben fiber bags there are a few company's that sell them.