Could not help myself...

Got another Knight Ultra Lite Western Edition... This one will be a dedicated cap shooter...

Now I just need the weather to cooperate and move from the 90's to the low 70's - so I could start breaking it in. Then I would be a happy camper for sure.

I did not draw a late season elk tag, so I am confined to hunting the regular ML season but I did draw an Xtra Whitetail tag (doe tag)

So I am sure the new rifle will get some work...

Last edited:

mgjacobs

FNG
Hi Sabotloader - after reading all your posts on the Ultra-Lite, I ended up 'pulling the trigger' on one as well. I have never hunted with a muzzleloader before but got lucky enough to get drawn in the Idaho controlled elk hunt (Unit 66*). Cannot wait. Have been following your other posts about loads, sub-base, etc and cannot wait to get the gun sighted in. To that end, I was hoping you could give me some info on the front ramp / site combo that you ordered. Specifically, which ones did you install on your gun + is the install a straightforward mount into a tapped hole?

Really appreciate your help on this and any other tips you might have for the gun or the hunt.

THANKS!

OP
sabotloader
Hi Sabotloader - after reading all your posts on the Ultra-Lite, I ended up 'pulling the trigger' on one as well. I have never hunted with a muzzleloader before but got lucky enough to get drawn in the Idaho controlled elk hunt (Unit 66*). Cannot wait. Have been following your other posts about loads, sub-base, etc and cannot wait to get the gun sighted in. To that end, I was hoping you could give me some info on the front ramp / site combo that you ordered. Specifically, which ones did you install on your gun + is the install a straightforward mount into a tapped hole?

Really appreciate your help on this and any other tips you might have for the gun or the hunt.

THANKS!

Parts List

Brownells

NECG Peep

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/peep-sight-prod9643.aspx

Warne Bases W826/826B

947-000-166WB
Maxima 2-Piece Base Knight Disc Matte
Mfr Part: M826826M

Front Ramp
962-020-097WB
Streamlined Ramp 3/16" Screw-on
Mfr Part: 1690

Williams front fire Sight
962-564-340WB
Red Fire Sight fits 312N
Mfr Part: 56434

Fire sight Hood

962-000-016WB
Fire Sight Hood
Mfr Part: 70031

Hope I got it all and that is what you wanted...

mike

mgjacobs

FNG
Thanks a ton for the quick response, Mike. I will be placing my order later today!!

mgjacobs

FNG
Thanks for the tip, Mike. I will PM you with other questions. I really appreciate all the posts you have out there .... gave me a ton of help in picking out what I wanted.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Nice set up Mike. I am sure being your dedicated "Cap Gun" it will get to see some action.
what is the reason you are waiting for the temp to drop before you shoot it.
Is it because you do not enjoy the heat or that the gun performance may be affected by the higher temps.

OP
sabotloader
Nice set up Mike. I am sure being your dedicated "Cap Gun" it will get to see some action.
what is the reason you are waiting for the temp to drop before you shoot it.
Is it because you do not enjoy the heat or that the gun performance may be affected by the higher temps.

You are correct on both counts... I am old and to fat - heat sucks - give me snow and colder temps and I can work with that. And heat also effects performance when shooting sabots. I use mostly MMP sabots because they remain pliable even in the cold temps - but they get soft in a the hot barrel and while shooting in hot temps. I could solve that problem by shooting full bore conicals but I would rather shoot sabots to get the gun going.

But I really want to and need to shoot - so soon I am going to say - Heat be darned - I am going shooting - maybe at 4 in the morning...

mike

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. I don't like shooting when it is too hot. I did not think about sabots because we don't shoot them here in Oregon.
I was curious if the were some pressure issues in hot temps I was unaware of. Thanks
If you do decide on a 4 am shoot let us know how that goes.

Two-J

FNG
The Kevlar stock is to thick. The Williams FP for a DISC will not fit down over the stock. A Williams WGRS peep would work though and be less expensive.
Will the Williams WGRS peep work with the same front sight height as the NEGC peep?

Two-J

FNG
Yes, I believe it will. I am 99% sure but have not actually tried it myself.

I tried using the same height front sight...didn't work (ran out of adjustment on the peep and was still 12" high at 100 yds). Just an FYI in case anyone else has this same question. I ordered a taller one, if it works I'll post the size.