Kuiu 4th Sale?

edg1967

WKR
OK…this is my fault for not reading all the fine print thoroughly, but I just need to vent a little bit. I wanted to give Kuiu Yukon Jacket and Pants a try for some time now and thought that this weekend's sale might be a good time for me to buy some. I tried several times to apply the coupon code, but couldn't get it to work so I waited until today to call in and see what the deal was. Apparently, if I would have read the fine print I would have found that I cannot apply the coupon to backordered items. Again, that's my fault. The Vias XL jacket that I wanted was apparently not in stock so I was told that I couldn't get the discount on it. I know that they have a lot of issues with keeping product in stock or just plain getting product delivered from overseas, customs, etc. but I've been looking to order this jacket for at least a couple months and get the same "backordered" status. Not necessarily wanting to let them use my money until their product comes in I have not preordered it so I guess that's my fault too…not that the coupon could have been applied to that either which I understand.

So, with that policy in mind I think I'll just stick with my current Sitka & First Lite Raingear options and spend my $500+ elsewhere since I can't fit into a size Medium and refuse to swim around in a XXL, which are the only sizes they seem to be able to keep in stock.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
Do you usually get "sale prices/discounts" on items that are out of stock with anyone? I don't....

I usually don't have to deal with so many items out of stock for such a long time.

ohoopee

WKR
When on back order, I don't believe they charge you until it ships. They didn't me.

Trr15

WKR
Dang. Tough crowd here ... I get your frustration. I've made a lot of Kuiu purchases and their gear is top notch stuff, but from my experience and the experience of some buddies Ive spoken with, their customer service isnt always the greatest. They could definitely be more customer friendly IMO, but I guess they're raking in enough money that a few hundred here and there doesnt make a huge difference to them.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
Dang. Tough crowd here ... I get your frustration. I've made a lot of Kuiu purchases and their gear is top notch stuff, but from my experience and the experience of some buddies Ive spoken with, their customer service isnt always the greatest. They could definitely be more customer friendly IMO, but I guess they're raking in enough money that a few hundred here and there doesnt make a huge difference to them.

This isn't my first rodeo, not my first purchase of top-end gear from them or other manufacturers, and certainly not my first experience with their CS. However, I do have to say that it will in all likelihood be my last experience. I've dealt with them about a half a dozen times and seem to get the same attitude with each person I deal with including today when I was asking about a refund on a return that they received two weeks ago, but have not yet been credited for. I like their products, but will find other manufacturers to support.

Weekender

WKR
Everyone knows Kuiu likes to stay ahead of the curve, they are the trend setters most of the time in high end hunting. How are they suppose to create new ideas/items with a bunch of old stock to sell? They don't have retailers to pawn it off to, most of there customer base wants new and improved items. Kuiu will always frustrate some but when you have the better product which happens to be unmatched in price/performance, you sell it fast. As for there customer service I've never had a problem with them always top notch.

Kotaman

WKR
I wasn't trying to be tough, or a smart a$$, I just have really never expected to get a discount or sale price on out of stock stuff anywhere....Maybe thats just me.

Anyway...I own the full KUIU line (and the full Kryptek line) and have always found the customer service people friendly and fairly accomodating at KUIU The exception is with some of their "quirky" policies and or procedures. I don't always get the way they do things, but I also think they've seen a ton of growing pains. Hopefully, they'll get the "kinks" ironed out.

I've supported KUIU since their inception. When a piece of new gear comes out that I like, I pre order it. THis company is a little different than your run of the mill retail store. They kind of started out as a "cottage" business in a "cottage" industry. Their growth and success has been phenomenal. With that there have been growing pains like you can't imagine. I think the people at KUIU do a pretty decent job all things considered. For many, that won't be enough. I for one have no problem with the way they do things. Can they do them better? Probably...But it won't affect me one way or another. I will continue to pre-order the KUIU items I want and receive them in plenty of time for hunting season. I won't rely on one of their sales to get the items I need. Sure, I'll browse the sales and pick up anything in stock that I want a deal on, but I won't wait for a sale to buy something. If that is how you are going to shop KUIU, you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Do you usually get "sale prices/discounts" on items that are out of stock with anyone? I don't....

Actually, most places do honor sale pricing on out of stock items with the exception of closeout items. Selling something in advance is a very efficient and profitable business practice. Instead of locking in edg1967 as a customer, it looks like Kuiu just gave at least one purchase cycle to Sitka. You don't go broke taking a profit and the cash flow strains of accelerated growth are reduced if items are pre-sold. Not to mention the intangible cost of having a potential customer who had been excited about a purchase that is now disappointed and discussing it on social media.

Trr15

WKR
Actually, most places do honor sale pricing on out of stock items with the exception of closeout items. Selling something in advance is a very efficient and profitable business practice. Instead of locking in edg1967 as a customer, it looks like Kuiu just gave at least one purchase cycle to Sitka. You don't go broke taking a profit and the cash flow strains of accelerated growth are reduced if items are pre-sold. Not to mention the intangible cost of having a potential customer who had been excited about a purchase that is now disappointed and discussing it on social media.

Outstanding points. Kuiu would benefit from having you under their employ.

Everyone knows Kuiu likes to stay ahead of the curve, they are the trend setters most of the time in high end hunting. How are they suppose to create new ideas/items with a bunch of old stock to sell? They don't have retailers to pawn it off to, most of there customer base wants new and improved items. Kuiu will always frustrate some but when you have the better product which happens to be unmatched in price/performance, you sell it fast. As for there customer service I've never had a problem with them always top notch.

Jesus, sounds straight from an ad...

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
A cynical person might think Weekender was a paid shill. I'm sure it's not the case and Weekender is just a very faithful Kuiuteer but it does sound like an ad.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess it depends on who you deal with. Quick story of my ONE experience dealing with them. I decided to try a piece of gear from them this winter. I ordered it and paid full price. About 3 days later the same item went on sale with a pretty substantial price reduction. I sent there CS an email and they actually went ahead and refunded me the difference in price. Now, this is the only time I have dealt with them, but I was pretty stoked that they refunded me the difference.

boom

WKR
isnt it called a "raincheck"?

you try to buy something on sale, it is out of stock..they give you a raincheck..when it comes in, you get the item at the sale price. pretty simple really.

Weekender

WKR
Jesus, sounds straight from an ad...

Can't help it I like what they do. They could take the same path as others and sell the same old crap just change a color or sew a new pocket but they don't. I'm a fan of Exo as well with there price/performance and they seem to have back orders. Goes to show good products sell if the price makes since. I would think more would complain about being price gouged then they do, not about some back order stuff.

Kotaman

WKR

In a "normal" retail environment, I would agree, however, KUIU is a different animal. They sold their first two years of product out in 3 months. Most back ordered items are pre-sold out in advance at REGULAR pricing before the shipment arrives in the warehouse! People are buying in-stock merchandise and reselling on EbAy for double when stock runs out. Not sure whether the business model they created was lucky, good or some of both, but it works. It's easy for anyone to sit here and tell them how it could be better, and be upset when they don't do things like everyone else, when in reality they are gaining 20 new customers for every one that gets frustrated and leaves. Kuiu's business model is genius. Their unconventional methods are hard to argue with from my perspective...

Manosteel

WKR
Bought about $600 worth of kuiu products during the sales blitz last winter - seems like good stuff, fit is great, hopefully it works out... But with that said as a result of their business practices and customer service that's the last time they will see my $$$. I buy new gear every year, must be nice to have the ability to piss of customers so they don't become repeat customers, wish I could do that with my business.

Kota - I'm not a Kuiu basher or a shill. And they aren't paying me as a consultant. But it's pretty straight forward.

Kuiu has done very well for themselves, but a long time ago, the Beatles sang a line, "There's nothing you do that can't be done..." As the niche matures, more competition will arrive. Quite simply, as a business, they can build as much brand loyalty and fortify their market, discouraging some of their future competition...or they can open the door to having someone eat their lunch. The position that they are enjoying right now won't last forever. They should make the best of it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was in the Kuiu store today checking out there new tents. CS was great. Jason came out and said hello, although I hadn't seen him in several years and he knows I am a die hard Kifaru pack supporter. He didn't have to and I have never had any issues with Kuiu or him.

So back to the tent, I ended up buying the 1 person and plan on running it during all my backpack hunts and fishing trips. I also wanted to try one of their down jackets and tried them on for sizing. Once I decided on size and color , it was literally the only combo they didn't have in the store. CS says hey we have it in our inventory and we will send it to you with free shipping.

I am affiliated in one way or another with several companies, but I am just another customer to them and they didn't have to offer that.

Lastly about their CS, while I was there, one of the CS was on the phone with a customer. He ordered items on the internet and couldn't get the coupon code to work, and the coupon code was expired now. No way to know if this customer was being truthful or not. CS told him they would apply the discount to the qualified items and ship for free since the customer had to call in to try and get it straightened out.

I know free shipping isn't much, but $15 or so is still $15. They are paying it and I didn't have to not did the other customer.

Many times, not always, people are unhappy with their CS because they have unreasonable requests or demands. CS is not the supplier, so don't kill the messenger.

I haven't been in the store in a long time, but everyone was top notch and their products continue to get better.

Overall, I personally have no complaints.