kuiu nuyarn merino

handwerk

WKR
Now that I've spent some time with my nuyarn 145 zip T I can say like my other kuiu clothing I'm quite impressed. Many nice design details and atleast for me the size large fits me perfectly ( 6'1" 175) Yep at $79 it's not cheap but it wears very comfy and no itch, it'll get a workout this fall/winter.

Vandal 44

WKR
Thanks for sharing, I want to try the Nuyarn Merino in the 145, I am not sure on how durable it would be. Guess I would need to buy it and see

Just got the same shirt in yest. It is my first piece of merino. I am impressed with the first wearing....lol. Actually I did a lot of price checking with other Merinos and the kuiu product is cheaper than most for the same type of shirt.

JP100

WKR
I just got a couple of their tops 145 zip t and the crew neck thing. They seem pretty good, design fits well. will have to wait and see how long they last though.
for the price their merino is good in my view. here any good merino is $100+ for a top.
How durable were the old kuiu merinos?

eltaco

WKR
I had the 155s last year and bought the 185s when they went on clearance. I liked the 155s OK after washing them a few times, but they always felt a bit scratchy to me... not a very comfortable shirt. When the nuyarn came out I figured I was already set so didn't let myself get too excited... then a buddy bought one and I had to have them. The Verde colors are WAY better, and the fabric feels significantly better than their old merino. The side vented fabric is a nice touch on what already is a lightweight shirt. The cut on mine is a bit longer than the old merino, think I might have gotten by with a size smaller but that's the downside of no retailer. Overall I can deal with an extra inch or so of length.

Wore mine on a hike last night and it's a nice shirt. Obviously can't speak to its durability but I was sweating like crazy and it just smells like a shirt this morning. I'm pretty well sold on merino and this is the best kuiu merino yet, IMO.

Just got a Kuiu 145 Nuyarn Quarter Zip. Its pretty awesome. I didnt have any of their old merino but this is nice stuff.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a 125 t-shirt yesterday. It is my first merino so I don't have anything to compare it to but the fit and comfort are good. It is thinner than I expected (like a cheap Hanes undershirt) not that is bad because I got it for hot weather use. Time will tell how it holds up but I like it so far.

Now I want a heavier one. Doh.

muleman

WKR
any word on if it stinks like shit like my other merino from KUIU?

Joe

Might not be the wool. Just sayin :p

Seriously, I have/had eight different pieces of KUIU merino. Some pieces from every year they have been around and I haven't had a problem. The worst I get the wet dog smell when soaked. None of the merino is the Nuyarn though. I would really like to try some Ultra series Nuyarn but I'm set for at least another year with what I have.

Might not be the wool. Just sayin :p

Seriously, I have/had eight different pieces of KUIU merino. Some pieces from every year they have been around and I haven't had a problem. The worst I get the wet dog smell when soaked. None of the merino is the Nuyarn though. I would really like to try some Ultra series Nuyarn but I'm set for at least another year with what I have.

hahaha... touche'

Yeah i have two of the t shirts, and two of the light weight longsleeve shirts that have no problem. The 185 zip t is almost unbearable after i start to sweat. I have literally stopped to take it off and stuff it in the pack so that i didnt have to wear it any more. in the past... gets nasty.

I talked to KUIU and they said to wash it with baking soda and vinegar and then dry it in the sun... i hope it works otherwise i cant wear it.

Joe

muleman

WKR
hahaha... touche'

Yeah i have two of the t shirts, and two of the light weight longsleeve shirts that have no problem. The 185 zip t is almost unbearable after i start to sweat. I have literally stopped to take it off and stuff it in the pack so that i didnt have to wear it any more. in the past... gets nasty.

I talked to KUIU and they said to wash it with baking soda and vinegar and then dry it in the sun... i hope it works otherwise i cant wear it.

Joe

Weird, the 185s are what I have the the most of and used the most without problem. I have heard of the problem with other brands too. I wonder what causes it. Sheep with a serious case of B.O.?

kyle1112

WKR
hahaha... touche'

Joe
You can send it to me and I'll wear it lol

hahaha... touche'

Joe

Went and soaked my brand new 145 nuyarn long sleeve just for you, it has a smell to it but it doesn't smell like wet dog and the odor is not unpleasant. This one has never been washed either though.

I have all their old merino and love it. It's the same for me as first lite merino. Wasn't willing to pay the price to upgrade since my stuff is still good. Interested to see how guys compare the two after this season and if it's worth the money.

I am excited to try the socks that are suppose to be coming out soon. Anyone have intel on this?

crumy

WKR
Kuiu says that the merino has a mix of merino and nylon. firstlite only says their stuff is merino. Could it be that the synthetic material cause the bacteria and smell? I am only asking because I am looking to make a purchase soon and doing research. Thoughts?

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I watched the video on the nuyarn and they said it will not have anything but merino. Pretty sure I need some for my September Nevada muzzleloader hunt :)

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I have some of the new Nuyarn stuff. I am very happy with it. I have worn my 125 SS on 7 hikes without a wash and it still has no stink to it. The material is very soft and comfortable as well.

Called this am to get a ss 125 backordered till end of month. On order a solid forest with free ship