Shooting right downhill

Tilzbow

WKR
In prep for a Stone Sheep hunt next month I began shooting uphill and downhill at my house. I've got a bag target and a 3D sheep target on a hill that's ranges 25 - 30 degrees so it's good and steep. I've checked my third axis a couple times and I believe it's set. When shooting uphill my windage is good; however, when shooting downhill I'm shooting anywhere from a little bit to several inches right fairly consistently. I'm thinking it's a form issue but I can't quite figure it out.

Any ideas to help are appreciated! That said I need to minimize movement when drawing so please keep that in mind.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
my guess is form as well especially if third axis is set just something I found draw horizontal and then pivot at hips down might help but like you I was ok with up but down I chicken winged my release arm out to the side it would throw arrows had a friend watch me to point it out just something I had not saying your doing it but my advice is video it or have a friend watch and make sure form is all in alignment

Brendan

WKR
Are your anchor points exactly the same? Do you use a kisser button and/or have repeatable nose to string contact? Bending from the waist and not dropping the arm? Is your sight bubble staying level or the same as what it is shooting on flat ground? Anything different in your grip?

My guess - one of those items, third axis should show itself on both incline and decline.

c5mrr270

WKR
Could be you're doing something different with your hand on the downhill shots.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Check your 3rd axis with the Hamskea tool while you're at full draw shooting at this particular target. If the 3rd axis is still good and you're still right........then it's probably you torquing the bow.

wapitibob

WKR
Uphill compresses the upper body making the draw feel long, downhill expands it making the draw feel short. Pretty hard for the 3rd axis to read level on level ground and 30 deg up, but not at 30 deg down if it's really set. We shoot 20-30 deg a bunch out here and set our draw length for the uphill stuff. Check your 3rd axis again, then start looking at your sight picture when you're aiming up and down, and how your draw length feels.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Uphill compresses the upper body making the draw feel long, downhill expands it making the draw feel short. Pretty hard for the 3rd axis to read level on level ground and 30 deg up, but not at 30 deg down if it's really set. We shoot 20-30 deg a bunch out here and set our draw length for the uphill stuff. Check your 3rd axis again, then start looking at your sight picture when you're aiming up and down, and how your draw length feels.

this is exactly right! obviously if third axis isn't set that could be it but if he said he has already checked that and if its off it will be off going up hill as well. my draw length felt short and as previously stated I would scrunch up.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Shot again today, no wind and everything was fine. I believe I was canting my bow on the shots that were impacting to the right. I was really focusing on form, grip and aiming on these shots and I noticed today I'm not only shooting downhill but there's also a left to right side hill mixed in with the steep down hill. A post above suggested canting might be the issue so thanks for bringing all the possibilities up since it made me think of all the little things. Makes for some tough shooting at 50 to 60 yards but is excellent practice. It's a good reminder why practicing different shootings angles is so important. I can shoot pretty good to 110 yards on flat ground but it's a different game when terrain gets steep and the wind is blowing.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
On sidehills, cant into the hill on the draw and allow the bow to level out. Drawing level, the sidehill will pull you down and when you try to level back up you'll shoot em out the side.

boom

WKR
Get on your anchor while aiming horizontal. Then bend at the waist.

Bughalli

WKR
All good info. From the others and spot on. I would only add that you should also pay attention to your grip and stay relaxed. I know when I shoot down hill, subconsciously I grip my bow more or grab it faster after the shot. Since I'm pointing down hill there's a natural feeling of the bow wanting to get away from you more after the shot.

Outwest

WKR
Just got back from a 3d shoot yesterday with a lot of uphill/downhill shots. My 3rd axis is set to the best of my ability, but I found that the majority of the time that I missed left and right was when I was shooting downhill on a sidehill because of what wapiti bob said. It is very easy to draw, anchor and shoot without checking your bubble level because your pins just look level. It can be deceiving and when you are level you will probably feel like you are canted way into the hill.

The guy who taught me how to shoot told me that a pretty good way to get your pins level on an animal is to line them up with their front legs when they are standing still. They will usually be straight up and down on a slope. Probably not a 100% accurate way to get level but it will probably get you in the right ball park when shooting on slopes.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Good picture Outwest! As I practice more and more I've figured out the right impacts were/are being caused primarily by canting and somewhat by not having great balance which can cause my entire body to drift the way I'm facing. The timing of my surprise release shot sequence is somewhat inconsistent shooting downhill and when I hold longer waiting for the shot to go off I start to drift the way I'm facing. It's difficult to keep balance when standing on a steep rocky slope and trying to lean forward to maintain that proper "T" form. A slight bend in the knees seems to help. That said through this process I've found I shoot much better, both downhill and uphill, when shooting on my knees simply because it's much more stable and easier to maintain proper form and balance. Every night I shoot it's a good reminder why practicing from different and difficult positions is so important.

Only two weeks before I fly north to hunt Stone Sheep!!!