Easton G nock and bohning F nock alternatives

wapitibob

WKR
I was going to as which G nocks were used, small groove or large groove. If the nock doesn't slide on the serving with slight finger pressure, they're too tight.

Tilzbow

WKR
Actually a quick Google search pulls up a number of people complaining about the same issue.

I concur with the above and I've seen threads posted on multiple sites dating back to 2012.

Could be related to a fit issue (possible), too small a nock to handle the bow/arrow combo (possible) or a bad batch (I doubt a bad batch since I've had the issue with both the Bohning and Easton nocks).

Like said above I've lost confidence in both the G and F nocks after about 10 partial dry fires so I'm moving on to something else. Each time it's happened has been a WTH moment except for Saturday AM when three G nocks failed and I found 6 more that we're starting to split. After the first one broke I wasn't surprised by the other two... Imagine dropping the string on a Stone's ram and having the nock fail....

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard of this problem before and it's only been on the 2014 hoyts. It's because the string on the new hoyts is 28 strands instead of 24 so it's a little too wide for those nocks.

Would Reserving with a smaller diameter serving help resolve. I'm having a problem with my G nocks pulling off the arrow after shooting. I just got the F nocks today from bohning but wonder if this is going to solve my problem. Shooting a 2014 CS34.

wapitibob

WKR
Would Reserving with a smaller diameter serving help resolve. I'm having a problem with my G nocks pulling off the arrow after shooting. I just got the F nocks today from bohning but wonder if this is going to solve my problem. Shooting a 2014 CS34.

Those are waaay too tight on the serving or waaay too loose in the arrow shaft.

c5mrr270

WKR

Reserving with a smaller diameter wouldn't hurt but it might not be enough if your nock is staying on the string when you shoot. That sounds way too tight.

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
To clarify the nock is pulling off the arrow about 1/8 inch very consistently. Shooting injection 330 with factory Easton blue nock.

Tilzbow

WKR
That sounds like you're serving is way too big. Also sounds like you could've got the G nock with the small groove. You may need to re-serve but I'd try to get a dozen of the G nocks with the large groove just to be sure the arrows didn't get small groove nocks installed by mistake. That said my G nocks fit so tight I can't imagine them pulling out of the shaft at the shot.

I got the Deep Six nocks today and they just look like a shorter version of the G nock but not more beefy. The short length probably makes them stronger though. I also got the Gold Tip HD pin nocks and they're super beefy and should hold up great. I can't imagine the HD nock having any issues with any bow/arrow combo.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently had some F nocks in VAPs break out of my 83# CST. Everything was fine till I shot a 3d tournament and had to push arrows back through the bales which we're backing the small foam targets. (VAPs and 83# give a bit of over penetration ) I noticed them spreading a bit and had 2 break which is unnerving to say the least. I promptly replaced all the nocks and will keep a close eye on them. I'm interested to hear if there's a better solution.

OP
Rick Leathley
I've recently had some F nocks in VAPs break out of my 83# CST. Everything was fine till I shot a 3d tournament and had to push arrows back through the bales which we're backing the small foam targets. (VAPs and 83# give a bit of over penetration ) I noticed them spreading a bit and had 2 break which is unnerving to say the least. I promptly replaced all the nocks and will keep a close eye on them. I'm interested to hear if there's a better solution.

My MR5 was breaking the f nocks. At least the g nock held together the dang f nocks just would come apart the arrow still went down range so no dry fire luckily

I got my HD pin nocks in today just waiting for the pins from victory to get delivered I feel pretty confident in their construction. Thanks to Rosinbag for suggesting them.

OP
Rick Leathley
ymyjate5.jpg

I totally feel you on the over penetration sometime I have to check behind the target to see where my arrow hit lol.

There are three arrows in this target shot from 100 yards away lol.

Honestly the over penetration gets old..

MattB

WKR

What target style are you shooting? If it is a bag target or some other target type that stops the arrows very rapidly, you may be experiencing the nock backing out due to the impact forces. It would be easy to shoot some arrows into something softer and see if you get the same effect.

I spoke to a friend last night that has a lot of insight into Hoyt gear (and archery gear in general), and he mentioned that regardless of strand count the finished diameter of the served string is geared to industry standards. Not ever string material has the same strand diameter, so the notion that string is fatter because it has 28 strands versus 24 strands is the right way to look at the equation. Moreover, manufacturers understand this and use different diameter of serving material to keep a consistent diameter despite the string material and strand count. Given the Hoyt/Easton affiliation and both companies' reputation for quality, I personally doubt the issue is an overly fat string.

boom

WKR
ymyjate5.jpg

I totally feel you on the over penetration sometime I have to check behind the target to see where my arrow hit lol.

There are three arrows in this target shot from 100 yards away lol.

Honestly the over penetration gets old..

Wah! :)

My bow may as well have suction cup tips. Just kidding. You're burying those things

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Rick your not kidding about it getting old. the first time I shot my bow into a brand new Glendale buck target I had conveyor belt from a rock quarry hanging too close behind it and my arrows punched through both. It was a bugger getting those arrows back out as the outserts or my fletching had to make it back through the belt. I find myself swapping arrows out constantly because the fletching needs time to recover after going through the targets. I like how my bow shoots but it's a little ridiculous.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Rick does it affect arrow flight much? I know in addition to the weight it would be a bit of a change in FOC. Less in shorter or heavy arrows.

Thanks

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord