The" Blow the Bucks out of thier bed" scenario while scouting

Rizzy

WKR
I would like to hear some thoughts and experiences on busting mature Bucks (4+) out of their beds while scouting in the summer in high elevation OTC units.

Here's the recent scenario:

I went into an area I'm familiar with and have seen nice Bucks on a particular hillside while glassing from across the canyon for the last 3 seasons. I hike up onto the ridge the same way each time I go into the area, spend the night, and glass the hillside that evening and the next morning. This time as I was hiking out I spotted a Buck looking back at me about 50 yards away, it turned out to be a small 4 point that was with the biggest buck in the area that I usually see on the other mountain about half way up. I was going out the same way I came in the previous day and the Bucks were bedded on the bottom third of the mountain. For sure one of those unexpected situations that just happen.

My Opinion on it:

I'm pretty sure the big Buck will hide out for the rest season, but if I have time I will still give it a try anyway. Maybe he will "escape" to the bigger mountain that they are usually on. My past experiences with this have been mixed. I busted the bucks off the trail last year in June and found them in August out in the open in the usual location. However during the rifle season, I never saw the big one just the two smaller ones. I attempted a stalk on the big one 2 seasons ago and never saw him again the rest of that season. In fact he seems to have since avoided that particular rock slide altogether.

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Mule deer rarely have a summer range much greater than a two square mile area from my experience - Often times if you give a deer a day or so, he will usually surface feeding in one of his local favorite areas... Rarely does a velvet buck completely disapear from seeing someone... They have their areas very figured out just like you do your own livingroom! He knows where and how to hide and the best way for him to use his house.

Once they rub - It's a different scenario - Most of the time it's adios amigo lol...

I only have a few experiences with big mature mule deer. One case points to the big deer knowing their area and staying in it. I found a group of 5 bucks, 2 big ones. I tried a stalk and was busted. I tried to follow them and ended up bumping them 2 times. They stopped in a bowl at dark and I set up camp. In the morning they were still there feeding to a saddle. I got around them and set up. A small buck came over first and happened to come over the saddle 3 yards from me with the 2 big ones behind him. Needless to say they spooked and they ended up going right back to the spot I blew the stalk the day before.

Hunting whitetails most my life I have noticed they often will try to stay in their core area too. They know it well and have ways to know when danger is near and escape. With deer though you never really know what they will do.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mule deer rarely have a summer range much greater than a two square mile area from my experience - Often times if you give a deer a day or so, he will usually surface feeding in one of his local favorite areas... Rarely does a velvet buck completely disapear from seeing someone... They have their areas very figured out just like you do your own livingroom! He knows where and how to hide and the best way for him to use his house.

Once they rub - It's a different scenario - Most of the time it's adios amigo lol...

That says it right there.

I'd add that different bucks act differently. Some will vacate an area while others are more forgiving.

big buck have nerves of steel and one of two scenarios will play out. he will bug out to a more rugged secondary bedding area. and hang there till its time to move down to his winter range or he will just lie low. I shot a 4x4 a couple years ago that i swear i had to have straight up stepped on walking thru a little tiny Scrub oak patch back to my truck. as the sun started to set I stop probably 20 yards from this same patch of oak and stood there glassing the draw below me. out of the corner of my eye I see a gray patch moving out of the oak and into the sagebrush at first i though it was a coyote so guns safety was off and i was ready but 10 yards out into the sagebrush he picked his head up and he was a nice young 4x4 he bounded twice started to trot and I shot him right behind the shoulder off hand at about 75 yards. I was so befuddled so I track back on his tracks and it went right into that same oak patch he was bedded in it and I had nearly stepped on him. I couldn't believe he didn't bust out of there when i went thru but i guess standing uphill from him made him nervous enough to try and sneak out.

4 years ago in the same general area I was still hunting some a transitional area between some mahogany and aspens I hunted it all day saw several smaller bucks so at evening I hunted my way true the edge of the aspens en route to my truck. it was getting dark. i got to the truck and saw a doe and fawn standing on the same ridge i just walk off of. I scanned the edge of the aspens and watch a nice 3x4 stand up right in the edge of the aspens I had just walked the edge of. I swear on my grandmothers 30-30 that I walked within 5 yards of that buck.

Every buck has habits and they all have nerves of steel. and I sweaI it makes me wonder how many big bucks were laughing at my sorry butt as I walked right through their nap area.

Have I ever blown some out scouting, yeah unfortunately I have. I think what surprises me is when I stumble upon a bedding area. And I can clearly see they busted out. It surprises and amazes me where I find them sometimes. I mean I swear there's no pattern I can figure out other than cover is plentiful. They generally can see forever. And they can pretty much sneak out with you leave you looking dumb...

Last edited:
ta8ana9a.jpg
sunegede.jpg

So here are the two that tried to getaway. they weren't so lucky.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Nice Bucks Joshua!

My concern is more to the effect that even though these bucks are still in velvet now, once they get hard horned they might hit the timber ASAP since I jumped them out of their bed in July. I've never been able to relocate the big buck after jumping him, but it's always been after he is hard horned. If I'm reading the regs right, I can archery hunt this buck in Sept. and rifle hunt him in Oct. with the general tag and archery permit. I might be able to catch him in his summer velvet routine at the beginning of Sept. for archery.

Nice Bucks Joshua!

My concern is more to the effect that even though these bucks are still in velvet now, once they get hard horned they might hit the timber ASAP since I jumped them out of their bed in July. I've never been able to relocate the big buck after jumping him, but it's always been after he is hard horned. If I'm reading the regs right, I can archery hunt this buck in Sept. and rifle hunt him in Oct. with the general tag and archery permit. I might be able to catch him in his summer velvet routine at the beginning of Sept. for archery.
That happens however Mike Eastman has a few thoughts on this and I concur that these bucks probably have secondary bedding areas closer than you might expect. It might be in draw, drainage, or basin but he is probably still in the vicinity. Big bucks have habits you can exploit one being they tend to return to the same place year after year. Almost always big bucks have a secondary bedding area...

I totally understand frustration though. I had a big buck that got spooked and I never saw him again till two years later but he was in the same area...I think thats what keeps me going. I'm of the belief world record breakers exist. We don't see them because they are that smart and cautious.

If you haven't already read them read Mike Eastmans "High Country Mulies" and David Longs, "Public land mulies" great reads full of usefully information.

Last edited:
OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
There are three nice bucks in this area now. These bucks stay in about a square half mile or less that is mostly southeasterly exposure. At least that's where I am able to glass them, the rest of the mountain is timber, thick and dark old growth timber in some spots. Where I jumped these two bucks is a place I've never seen deer before, but it is still within a mile and a half of the usual spot. They were bedded in Elk beds. Last October I watched Elk in this exact spot. I am going to start to pay more attention to Elk bedding areas. Elk make nice beds and good trails, this plays into the laziness of an old buck. This was also on the southeasterly exposure again but a different mountain.

It really seems like these Bucks feed in the riparian areas in the bottom of the canyon at night and bed up in the avalanche chutes on the southeasterly exposure for the day. I almost always see them on the bottom half of the mountain heading uphill in the morning. This also makes sense from a feed standpoint. The riparian areas that get more sun will have a longer growing season and the more nutritious feed. They don't dry out like the tops of the mountains.

I have read David's book, but not Eastmans. They seem to be geared more towards open country and glassing. Someone needs to write a book on hunting timber bucks in wolf country :)

There are three nice bucks in this area now. These bucks stay in about a square half mile or less that is mostly southeasterly exposure. At least that's where I am able to glass them, the rest of the mountain is timber, thick and dark old growth timber in some spots. Where I jumped these two bucks is a place I've never seen deer before, but it is still within a mile and a half of the usual spot. They were bedded in Elk beds. Last October I watched Elk in this exact spot. I am going to start to pay more attention to Elk bedding areas. Elk make nice beds and good trails, this plays into the laziness of an old buck. This was also on the southeasterly exposure again but a different mountain.

It really seems like these Bucks feed in the riparian areas in the bottom of the canyon at night and bed up in the avalanche chutes on the southeasterly exposure for the day. I almost always see them on the bottom half of the mountain heading uphill in the morning. This also makes sense from a feed standpoint. The riparian areas that get more sun will have a longer growing season and the more nutritious feed. They don't dry out like the tops of the mountains.

I have read David's book, but not Eastmans. They seem to be geared more towards open country and glassing. Someone needs to write a book on hunting timber bucks in wolf country :)
I finished Eastmans book for the 4th or 5th time eastmans is geared at high country hunts mostly. 9k plus elevation. The tactics still work and are the same.

Its kind of like fly fishing a small spring creek verses say the Madison river. They have the same feed zones, seams, pockets and and obstacles. Just smaller and closer. The tactics still apply and it's been working for me. I don't have the open big country like wyoming but the types of areas that hold Deer are the same here in the Wasatch. Does mean they all have Deer. No. But its starting point. They require a few essentials water, feed, cover. I watched a buck move to different shady spots within a few yards of were I spotted him. The thing is this, they may very well run for timber it's close and it's good cover. I'd say keep at it. If they havent been killed yet pay attention keep a journal and you might over time discover there weakness. Each buck is unique and each one will have a shortcoming you can capitalize on.

Just 2 weeks ago I watched a buck in a cute above a high lake. There were some backpackers on that side of lake I watched him leasurely move up the chute and disappear. He was a ghost I have no idea were he went. It amazes me how they can just vaporize.

Timber is tricky its a still hunting game walk a few steps glass everything move to one side or another glass everything again move forward a little bit and glass some more. Its tedious but you will surprised at what you will see.

I finished Eastmans book for the 4th or 5th time eastmans is geared at high country hunts mostly. 9k plus elevation. The tactics still work and are the same.

Its kind of like fly fishing a small spring creek verses say the Madison river. They have the same feed zones, seams, pockets and and obstacles. Just smaller and closer. The tactics still apply and it's been working for me. I don't have the open big country like wyoming but the types of areas that hold Deer are the same here in the Wasatch. Does mean they all have Deer. No. But its starting point. They require a few essentials water, feed, cover. I watched a buck move to different shady spots within a few yards of were I spotted him. The thing is this they may very well run for timber it's close and it's good cover. I'd say ghos keep at it. If here hasn't been killed yet pay attention keep a journal and you might over time discover there weakness. Each buck is unique and each one will have a shortcoming you can capitalize on.
Just 2 weeks ago I watched a buck in cute above a high lake. There were some backpackers on that side of lake I watched him leasurely move up the chute and disappear. He was a ghost I have no idea were he went. It amazes me how they can just vaporize.