DIY Quilt Patterns

Does anyone have any quilt patterns that they used to make their own quilts? I'm going to use 5.0oz climashield apex, and can't decide on the dimensions. Do your quilts have drawcords or zippers? Any information/patterns are greatly appreciated!

Ryan

sneek-ee

WKR
http://thru-hiker.com/kits/apex_quilt_kit.php

Buy their 5oz quilt kit. I had my wife make mine and sew a couple snaps into the bottom and drawstrings on top and bottom. I got it this early spring and only used it for 4 nights so far.
It is nice and comfy. We cut the fabric down and tapered it towards the feet some. Weighs less than 2 lbs total and I think it'll get me down to 30* if I'm lucky. Maybe 35*

That's the cheapest route plus best materials for price and easiest to do on your own.

OP
ndbwhunter
What temp could I comfortably get down to with that quilt and an xtherm pad? Will also be used with a bivy.

Ironman8

WKR
I was under the impression that the 5.0 climashield was good down to about 20*. But that's all dependent on what kind of sleeper you are (hot or cold). What works for one guy may not work for another guy.

003.jpgFirst off your mattress is fine thats the best. I have made several quilts for friends using Climashield Apex and M-90. i have a friend that had a Enlightened Equipment Rev-X quilt so my pattern is based off their quits, with some minor changes so as to stay out of trouble. I used a 26 inch zipper. One thing i'd suggest is don't short yourself on the length. Ii like to make my quilts about a foot taller then the persons height. This allows ample room to pull the quilty up over your head when it gets cold. Like stated the Climashield Apex is supposed to be rated to 20 degrees, but like any thing i'd say its more like 30. Now if you add a bivy and base layer should be no problem. Again my quilt pattern is based off a regular length and regular width. I just add some length to go a foot taller than the person. Hers is my base quilt dimensions. 53" wide X 94" long X 34". I use three bar sliders for adjustment on the quilts. My first 3 bar slider goes51" inches up from the bottom then the second is 20" above that. I use 550 Para cord to cinch the top and bottom. The quilt pictured is one i built about a week ago for a hunting buddy.View attachment 17632

OP
ndbwhunter
I get an error when I click on the attachment. If that is the pattern that you use, could you try it again? I'm new to this so I'll need all the help I can get. Thanks

No its not a pattern just another picture that didn't attach well. Sorry. My pattern is for a regular length regular width and like I said in my other post the dimensions are 53" wide at the top mid way down or at the half way point its 50" then tapering down to 34" at the bottom.The length of my regular length pattern is 94".View attachment 17653 If you want to email me at [email protected] i can answer more questions and send you more pictures. As of now I think if i am counting right I've made 8 quilts for friends.View attachment 17652