Squatin

Snyd

WKR
Down the road, in a gym far away

A young man was heard to say,

"No matter what I do, my legs won't grow!"

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses too.

Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do!

From the corner of the gym where the big guys train,

Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain,

Where the big iron rides high, and threatin' lives,

Where the noise is made with big forty-fives,

A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees,

A very big man with legs like trees,

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack,

Chalked his hands and monstrous back,

Said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten!

Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATIN'!!"

Vandal 44

WKR
I saw this about 30 years ago in a gym I used to work out in. Its good to see that this old gym rat poem is still around

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Well said.

Gonna have to post this one in the shop for those who try, but don't squat.

I love me some squats. But I will say this, doing squats doesn't help people with carrying a heavy pack like people think. I can squat immense amounts of weight, but when I put 150 into my pack and go on a 3 mile hike, the only muscles that are sore or fatigued are my calves. Don't just do squats thinking it'll help you hike better. Do everything!

Poser

WKR
eduryhaq.jpg

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Ya, I first saw this poem next to a squat rack about 25 years ago. Found it online a couple years back.

I love me some squats. But I will say this, doing squats doesn't help people with carrying a heavy pack like people think. I can squat immense amounts of weight, but when I put 150 into my pack and go on a 3 mile hike, the only muscles that are sore or fatigued are my calves. Don't just do squats thinking it'll help you hike better. Do everything!

Yup... it takes more than just squats but if a guy can only do one exercise in the weight room, squats are best. We use something like 250+ different muscle when we squat.

I squat, hike w/weight and bike as the core for sheep shape. Been doing it for years Squats make you strong all over. I've packed out 120+ lb packs full of sheep out some gnarly terrain over long distances numerous times. Like 10-20 miles. Squats alone aren't a substitute for hiking hills with a heavy pack or rigorous cycling for intense cardio but, they are a lynch pin exercise that really strengthen the hips/back/core in addition to the quads. Very important when loaded with a heavy pack in gnarly terrain. If a guy can squat properly and safely it will help him a bunch. Even if it's not 3-400lbs. I'm 53 now, 170ish and don't squat much over 250 anymore but I can rep that weight safely and helps me a bunch. The days of 1 rep max weight for me are done.

The ol' 20 rep squat routine is a good one though if you can hack it! :D Not many guys will rep squats with med-heavy weight to the point of failure, sucking wind between the last 5 reps and seeing stars. google it up if you've not heard of it. Here's one quick link...

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2843/articles/20-rep-squat-program

If I'm not squatin I feel like a weak little girly-man :D

Ya, I first saw this poem next to a squat rack about 25 years ago. Found it online a couple years back.

Yup... it takes more than just squats but if a guy can only do one exercise in the weight room, squats are best. We use something like 250+ different muscle when we squat.

I squat, hike w/weight and bike as the core for sheep shape. Been doing it for years Squats make you strong all over. I've packed out 120+ lb packs full of sheep out some gnarly terrain over long distances numerous times. Like 10-20 miles. Squats alone aren't a substitute for hiking hills with a heavy pack or rigorous cycling for intense cardio but, they are a lynch pin exercise that really strengthen the hips/back/core in addition to the quads. Very important when loaded with a heavy pack in gnarly terrain. If a guy can squat properly and safely it will help him a bunch. Even if it's not 3-400lbs. I'm 53 now, 170ish and don't squat much over 250 anymore but I can rep that weight safely and helps me a bunch. The days of 1 rep max weight for me are done.

The ol' 20 rep squat routine is a good one though if you can hack it! :D Not many guys will rep squats with med-heavy weight to the point of failure, sucking wind between the last 5 reps and seeing stars. google it up if you've not heard of it. Here's one quick link...

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2843/articles/20-rep-squat-program

If I'm not squatin I feel like a weak little girly-man :D

Reppin 315 in sets of 20 will suck that wind. I used to do it many a times. Id have to agree, if you could only do one exercise the squat would be one of my top three. My first choice would be the full clean.

PA 5-0

WKR

I feel ya on the calves. I am training pretty heavy for my sheep hunt. I am in the middle of racing season so I am putting in 200+ miles a week on the bike. With all that other work, my calves still feel like shredded hamburger from the weighted hikes. Its the only muscle that's sore. I was thinking my pack carrying form was bad or soemthing.

I feel ya on the calves. I am training pretty heavy for my sheep hunt. I am in the middle of racing season so I am putting in 200+ miles a week on the bike. With all that other work, my calves still feel like shredded hamburger from the weighted hikes. Its the only muscle that's sore. I was thinking my pack carrying form was bad or soemthing.
Nope, its just that you don't use your calves much when you squat. But when you hike you use them constantly. You're doing it right.

Poser

WKR

Squats aren't really sport specific for many sports. Think about. How many activities require simultaneous use of both legs? However, as someone else mentioned, it's such a fundamental exercise using many muscles, that it is difficult to argue against it's effectiveness for almost any athletic activity. Also, like deadlifts, squats can really promote injury prevention since both movements ingrain proper lifting technique into your muscle memory.

Poser

WKR
This "Bring Sally Up" exercise is really popular in Crossfit right now. Basically you go up and down based on the "bring Sally up", "bring Sally down" lyrics. The prescribed weigh is 135. I did the 45 pound bar and it was ROUGH. You end up sitting in the bottom of your days for extended periods of time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fc2mZkyb2so

Squats aren't really sport specific for many sports. Think about. How many activities require simultaneous use of both legs? However, as someone else mentioned, it's such a fundamental exercise using many muscles, that it is difficult to argue against it's effectiveness for almost any athletic activity. Also, like deadlifts, squats can really promote injury prevention since both movements ingrain proper lifting technique into your muscle memory.

I can think of a few sports that require simultaneous use of both legs, but its not helpful to the discussion. I'd love to debate you on the validity of squat vs clean for overall physical performance over a broad range of activities though :)

_Nick_

WKR
Reppin 315 in sets of 20 will suck that wind. I used to do it many a times. Id have to agree, if you could only do one exercise the squat would be one of my top three. My first choice would be the full clean and jerk.

Fixed it for ya. :)

Poser

WKR
A clean involves squatting, so no doubt it is effective and involves even more muscles than the squat by itself. However, in order to be able to clean, one must be able to squat. Also, most people can squat considerably more weight than they can clean, so, specific to the lower half of the body, pure squatting allows for more strength gains in the legs and hips. Core could be debate able. That being said, I actually enjoy cleans. The mechanics of them feel great. I can't say that I enjoy squats so much. In fact, I usually have a bit of dread when I see them in a workout.

A clean involves squatting, so no doubt it is effective and involves even more muscles than the squat by itself. However, in order to be able to clean, one must be able to squat. Also, most people can squat considerably more weight than they can clean, so, specific to the lower half of the body, pure squatting allows for more strength gains in the legs and hips. Core could be debate able. That being said, I actually enjoy cleans. The mechanics of them feel great. I can't say that I enjoy squats so much. In fact, I usually have a bit of dread when I see them in a workout.
I believe the front squatting of the clean will engage your core more so than even a heavy back squat. From personal experience my 405 clean was much tougher on the core (at least it felt to me to squat) than a 605 backsquat.

jmez

WKR
Squats are great and I do a lot of them. Have to agree with ohhiitznik though, if limited I would pick the power clean for an all around base exercise.

Poser

WKR
I believe the front squatting of the clean will engage your core more so than even a heavy back squat. From personal experience my 405 clean was much tougher on the core (at least it felt to me to squat) than a 605 backsquat.

Yeah, front squats, especially done heavily, seem to require more core strength. They also seem a little more practical for all around lifting since you use them in other movement such as cleans and thrusters. Plus, if you have a good front squat, you'll have a good back squat, but the opposite is not true.