How much parachute cord do you pack?

jm1607

WKR
Just curious.. About half the pack lists I see take 25' and half take 50'.. I think 50' might be overkill, but if I hang a bear bag that may take 20'+ so it would be nice to have more handy..

What do you guys think/take?

I have about a 6 day backpack hunt in mind...

25' in the kill kit and 50' in the main bag. Weight penalty is zero really. And I've used it for emergency shelters, shoelaces, and all kinds of other things. You can never have enough rope.

topher89

WKR
50' and two 10's. The 50 gives you a lot of flexibility in hanging a bear bag, most of the time you only need 25 but having 50 is extra insurance. The two 10's are for the kill kit but could also be used for gear repair or extra guylines. No big weight penalty

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Anyone know approximately how much 25' of 550 or 750 weighs? I don't have a scale on me

for me, paracord is a utility item that does nothing very well. boot laces, hanging meat bags, extra tent guyline, the obvious improvised repairs. but rarely is it my go to choice for a given task.

Browtine

WKR
I prefer 3mm accessory cord and usually carry a couple chunks of 25'. Slicker than 550 and makes much better emergency boot laces, usually a better lace than the one you just broke.

MattB

WKR
I have 50' of a dyneema-type cord and needed every foot of it last season to tie off a sheep and help get it out of a ditch.

I carry a chunk that is probably about 50' if I were to take a guess.
Use it for hanging stuff in trees, tarp ridge lines, breaking down animals, etc.
I also keep four 3' pieces tied onto loops on my pack for tying on jackets, rain gear, etc.
Those I use as back-up laces, ties for hanging game bags, shelter, and utility needs.

Might be able to make 25' work, but honestly what I have works for me.
I can see swapping it out for 1.5mm dyneema line though. At least it works w/ the ITW line-locs & doubles as guylines for tarp tents & shelters, compression loops for gear, etc. The smaller diameter is a little harder on the hands when pulling heavy loads, but I think the ability to work w/ the line-locs makes up for that.

As far as weight difference...... bigger fish to fry.
Hunt'nFish

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
I take 100'. 1-40', and 3-20' pieces. The 40 won't get cut, but the others are for miscellaneous, like a clothesline, extra guy line, tying legs/head back on a downed animal if it falls on a steep slope, lashings if straps break, etc. The weight penalty vs. reward on this is worth it.

unm1136

WKR
Yep, paracord stretches way too much and doesn't slide over a branch worth a damn.

I used para cord last year to set up my Megatarp, and really didn't care for how much it stretched, and absorbed water. Started replacing it with Triptease and 3mm accessory cord, and now am looking at 1.75mm Zing-it and Lash-it, after seeing how well amsteel whoopie slings worked out.

This year I am playing with a Lash-it continuous ridge line as a utility cord. 30 feet, two soft shackles, and two pieces of Titanium hardware for hanging and adjusting seems like it will work both for setting up my Mega over my hammock as well as for utility uses. The ridgeline complete weighs 19 grams and costs $28.00. 50 feet of Lash-it or Zing-it weighs 25g and costs $11.00. Made from dyneema, it does not stretch or absorb water. Dynaglide and Amsteel are two other, heavier options.

pat

Trr15

WKR
50' here as well. have never needed all of it, but the weight penalty is offset by me not having to worry about not having enough paracord.

ozyclint

WKR
50' minimum now. i got caught short this year in new zealand, a buddy and i had to join our cords to haul our packs across a swollen river after having swam across. not sure how i would have done it if solo with a 10' piece, it would be more dangerous that's for sure.