trekking poles with twist locks

Derek0525

WKR
Looking at some leki trekking poles and was wondering if the twist locks hold up well. I don't want something that's gonna slip with weight put on it or would the external locks be better. Never used a tracking pole before so open to suggestions. Want something adjustable so I can use it for tarp setups also.

muleman

WKR
I have both types of locks on quality sets of poles. Both work well and I don't have slipping with either type of locks. Flick locks are easier to adjust, but isn't a big deal to me either way.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go for a flip lock style poles. I've watched buddies fight twist lock poles on multiple occasions. I've only ever seen one set of flip lock poles fail, that was a pair of Easton carbon poles. I've been using Black Diamond flick lock poles for around eight years and have never had a problem. Leki flip lock poles are should be reliable as well.

I'm about to return a set of twist lock poles bc they keep failing on me, and get the flip lock kind. They're a set of the REI ones, so probably not the best.

OR Archer

WKR
For those of you that have had the twist lock fail what kind of weight are you using them under when this occurred?

kodiakfly

WKR
I use the flip lock types on a set of BD poles I've had for 15 years and they're still going strong. I had a set of twist locks that just wouldn't stay in place...but I'm huge and I'm a heavy hiker so I'm asking a lot of poles. But the flip locks work for my fat ass.

muleman

WKR
Last November I had a catastrophic failure of a flick lock. The whole lock mechanism came off the pole on a steep downhill descent. I ended up taking a big fall, dislocating my pinky and breaking the ram rod holder off the smoke pole I was carrying. I never did find the bottom section of the trekking pole. I'm going back in that area tomorrow to set some cameras. It will be interesting to see if I can find the bottom section now that the snow is gone. I had another issue when a flick lock snagged in brush and opened up. While I do not recall not being able to get a twist lock to lock up and hold.

I only have been using trekking poles on every hike for three years. I have equal time on both styles of locks from four different poles, two flick lock and two twist lock. The two twist lock poles I have used have both been carbon fiber. I would wager that the carbon fiber is rougher and has more friction than an aluminum tube.

For those who have had slipping issues; were the pole aluminum or carbon fiber?

Here are the flick locks I have used. The upper lock is the one that catastrophically failed.
2014-07-24 01.06.04.jpg

The upper flick lock is also the one that snagged. Notice how the bottom one wraps tightly while the upper one has a protruding lip.
2014-07-24 01.27.06.jpg

Here are pictures of the internal locking mechanisms of the twist locks I have. The longer blue wedge is from the lightest and most expensive pole.
2014-07-24 01.06.29.jpg

Here is a video that shows how easy it is to clean the internal components if you are having trouble.
[video=youtube_share;AnuI-Z4nPCw]http://youtu.be/AnuI-Z4nPCw[/video]

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the same set of Leki twist lock carbon poles for over five years and haven't had them "fail" yet. They can be a pain to lock and unlock at times though and I end up having to take them apart to clean them up. My next set will be flick locks.

Erock1313

FNG
I have used some inexpensive ($15) poles from Recreational Outlet here in SLC with the "Twist Locks", for about the last 4-5 years. I initially got them to see if I would like using them hunting and now use them on most outdoor jaunts as well. They have never failed me and have been some of the best $15 I have spent towards hunting gear!! It definitely makes off balance situations and long hikes with heavy loads more bearable and keeps me less fatigued.

Now that being said, I have been thinking of upgrading to some with "Cam Locks," because they are slightly easier/faster to adjust if needed. I am curious about the Carbon Fiber poles, as they are pretty light. My concern is the amount of "Flex" some of them have - To me, that's a recipe for disaster with a heavy load and downhill decent.

Just my 2¢…

»-ERock1313--> (∅)

muleman

WKR
I have used some inexpensive ($15) poles from Recreational Outlet here in SLC with the "Twist Locks", for about the last 4-5 years. I initially got them to see if I would like using them hunting and now use them on most outdoor jaunts as well. They have never failed me and have been some of the best $15 I have spent towards hunting gear!! It definitely makes off balance situations and long hikes with heavy loads more bearable and keeps me less fatigued.

Now that being said, I have been thinking of upgrading to some with "Cam Locks," because they are slightly easier/faster to adjust if needed. I am curious about the Carbon Fiber poles, as they are pretty light. My concern is the amount of "Flex" some of them have - To me, that's a recipe for disaster with a heavy load and downhill decent.

Just my 2¢…

»-ERock1313--> (∅)

Good carbon fiber trekking poles don't flex excessively. They will break just like aluminum poles will break if too much bending force occurs. I broke a fixed length Kerma carbon fiber ski pole in 1993 while ski patrolling. The pole was subjected to too much bending force and snapped in two places. In my experience, aluminum poles bend and don't return to shape. Where carbon fiber bends and returns to normal.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
The wife and I have been using Exped Explorer 120 and 130 respectively for a few years now. They use a push button to lower the bottom 2 segments and twist locks on the top. The twist lock part has a groove to assist in the lockdown functionality. No slips at all so far. The really nice thing about these poles is the light weight and the tiny collapsed size. For the 130s they collapse down to 20.5 in. They also have grips that extent down the shaft a bit so for quick changes of up hill or down you can just grasp the pole lower/higher. A bit pricey but worth it. IMHO
FJ

Stay away from the twist locks, they will fail. JMHO

Yep, I have had one fail on my leki pole. I spent over two months trying to get a hold of someone from Leki so I could buy a replacement part to fix my pole, with zero luck. I finally ended up fixing it with some bondo and now the broken twist lock is cemented into place. Worst CS I have had from an outdoor company. I'll be buying BD flip lock next time around.

Last edited: