DIY backpack compression straps question

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in the middle of trying my hand at building my own pack and would like to know if it is better to have compression straps attach to the frame or to the bag so that it compresses independent from the frame?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I always want my compression straps attached to the frame so I can cinch it all down and hold tight to the frame. But I don't want to compress my water bladder, so prefer some sort of pocket outside of the compression straps for that.

Ideally I want heavy duty compression attached to the frame to compress a meat load between the frame and bag. An then maybe a lighter compression setup for just the bag itself.

muleman

WKR
The main straps need to tie back to the frame. I like additional bag straps that connect to the main commpression straps. For a heavy load pack, I would want two top, two bottom, and three on each side. If you have a lid you will also want two straps that tie to the bag to suck the lid down.

I also find side straps that angle up, help to hold heavy loads up better than straight side straps.

Look at Stone Glaciers compression straps as a great example. They are modular and have the features described above.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plan on having a hanging meat bag that attaches inside the main bag and also hang my water bladder inside if that matters.

muleman

WKR
Top compression straps might not be as critical if everything will always go inside. Make sure the top of the bag anchors solid to the frame.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
ava5ydaj.jpg

The top of the frame slips into this pouch snugly a and I also plan on making a couple more attachments points that would allow me to carry meat between the bag and the frame.

Well if the straps attach to the frame they "could" be used on the frame w/o the pack bag.
What frame are you planning to use?
Looks like a MOLLE/Alice or Mystery Ranch "Nice" frame concept.
If you sewed G-Hook loops into the side seams of the bag you could accommodate both attachment points.

If it's a molle frame, I added these to a bag to allow attachment and brought the compression straps out at the same point. So .... they ended up being attached to both at the same time.
Hunt'nFish

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well if the straps attach to the frame they "could" be used on the frame w/o the pack bag.
What frame are you planning to use?
Looks like a MOLLE/Alice or Mystery Ranch "Nice" frame concept.
If you sewed G-Hook loops into the side seams of the bag you could accommodate both attachment points.

If it's a molle frame, I added these to a bag to allow attachment and brought the compression straps out at the same point. So .... they ended up being attached to both at the same time.
Hunt'nFish

Kifaru duplex

I bought some spilt bar ladder locks and some G-hooks. Made a few k-connector knock offs. They're a little longer than Kif factory but now I have a bunch of extras. Can make lash straps or convert straps all day long. Not pretty but functional. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406425714.746377.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406425723.505927.jpg

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member