Solo archery hunting?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think you would be a fool to go out there in the wilderness without acknowledging the possibility that a cat CAN kill you.

Just about anything can kill you, including a measly little tick. However, do you know how many people have been killed by cats in this country in the last 100 years, or even attacked? I think you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.........a dozen times, over getting killed by a cat. I go into cat country all the time and never even give them a second thought.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
Just about anything can kill you, including a measly little tick. However, do you know how many people have been killed by cats in this country in the last 100 years, or even attacked? I think you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.........a dozen times, over getting killed by a cat. I go into cat country all the time and never even give them a second thought.

I don't want to argue about this but I'm sure you don't know how many people have "disappeared" never to be found hunting where I do. I can think of a hand full. If they are never found, then of course we can't say what got them. Maybe a critter got them, maybe they fell into a nasty canyon and maybe they ran away to Mexico. The fact remains that a critter could have gotten them and they were never found. I have a pretty good idea of my game plan at this point. So, thanks guys....

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Having a little fear is natural. I would arrow that bear in a heartbeat. Black bears are very skittish animals and will run vs fight every time unless they have cubs! I worry far more about moose than any predator. I've been chase/charged by a one after jumping a cow/calf from there beds in the dark, not fun!

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I would be more worried about dope growers than cats or bears if you are hunting CA. Though I do know people who have been stalked by mountain lions.

_Nick_

WKR
I would be more worried about dope growers than cats or bears if you are hunting CA. Though I do know people who have been stalked by mountain lions.

Unfortunately, in CA lions are a fully protected animal (it's even illegal to possess any part of a mountain lion in the state). So, they face zero hunting pressure. Still, the risk is remote, but I certainly give them a bit more consideration here than I would in other places I've hunted. If I die in the backcountry, though, it'll probably be from a fall or lightning, looking at the odds at least.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I guess if I die in the wilderness, it's a good way to go out. I suppose I'll just take my 10" blade so I don't have to worry about my 9mm bouncing off of a bear skull...haha

Bar

Banned
What state are you hunting? Since you seem to be avoiding that question.

I really doubt you'll just run across a bear. Have you ever hunted them?

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Don't bow hunt with a side arm in Cali. If your bowhunting bear having a secondary weapon to take them down is the wrong way to look at it. First off having a sidearm on your person while bowhunting is illegal. Second it's been my experience if you hit the bear properly you won't even need a second shot. My opinion is you focus your efforts on shot placement with a single arrow. Know where your vitals are on a bear. Most importantly stalk in on the animal and chances are he will never know what happened. As far as camping with bears don't do anything that will be inviting to the bear. As for me I have spent many a night cleaning fish in the high country cooking them up along a mountain stream and sleeping a 100 yards away and never had issues. It's all about how you prepare, just prepare in a proper way. Good luck

RdHawg

FNG
Well I think the answer is quite obvious...... You should call me. :) That would solve your solo issue and I'd be more then happy to help you pack out something. We store it in my cooler at the trail head and head back out.

003.jpgI seem to be on my own for at least a week every year while archery hunting. In Oregon it is legal to carry a handgun during season as a side arm. In the past I haven't carried one. It usually gets tossed out as my pack weight grows. With that said I honestly think a hand gun offers peace of mind and that's not a bad thing when hunting alone in the wilderness. Now I already have my pack semi packed for this year everything is already in except my quilt and water. And so far my side arm is a go. So for those of you that haven't had bad experiences, here's a couple. Two years ago while on a wilderness turkey bow hunt, I was stalked to within 20 yards by a cougar. The cat was crouched down and above me at 20 yards in tall grass and i never saw it. Fortunately my hunting partner saw the cat and yelled at me. I looked over to see the cat run off. Then last year during a back country elk hunt with two other guys, one of our guys called in a cougar to within 20 yards. It came in behind him. He had a side arm and when he went for his weapon it ran off. That same day later in the afternoon we all had got back from the morning hunts. I think it was around 3 pm, the other two guys were wanting to walk out 20 yards from the bivy site and glass while I opted to lay down and rest. Well it wasn't five minutes when a black bear walked down right below the guys glassing. This was less than 50 yards from our camp. Long story short the guys shot a tree instead of the bear.Now this did prompt me to hang my food I will say. Now with this history I am not saying any of these animals would have done us any harm. But with a few encounters it sure makes one feel better to have that little snub nose .357 on your side. Just sayin

charvey9

WKR
If you have a good opportunity, take it. Not much to worry about from black bears. I've solo archery hunted for bear the last few seasons in OR. Can't bait or use dogs here, so it is all spot and stalk. Wish I had some success stores to share, but the most challenging thing is that they run away at the first sight, sound, or smell of people.

shamlin88

FNG
I'm with the OP on this one. Even if I was hunting CA or any state for that matter where I could become the "hunted" I am carrying. If I get caught, I will gladly pay the ticket or the consequences, as I haven't figured out the price tag I would put on my life. I am for sure not going to let a bunch of non-hunting, liberals tell me I cannot protect myself from wildlife that could potentially make me dinner! And half of the game wardens now a days haven't spent one minute hunting, they are just cashing a paycheck, increasing state revenue, and enforcing the laws with no regard to hunters and their well-being. (Sorry about the rant). And for the guy that said a 9MM will bounce off a bears skull......you gotta be joking....right?!?!

" all but mauled"? Hide on the trail just to run him over? Think maybe they were both going opposite ways on the same trail at the same time and ran In to each other? There is no doubt they have the tools and ability to end you if they see fit but the drooling maniacal monster learking around every tree in the wilderness that guys carry S&W 500 magnums for when there hunting just doesn't exist. I'm not saying they don't deserve respect I'm just saying there nothing to be afraid of. I don't "plan around" bears or areas with bears. Not black ones any way

^^^
This

Perhaps worth considering that North of the border we can't carry any side arms regardless of season. Can't say I recall any stories of archery hunters being mauled by bears or cougars....not to say it's never happened, but lightning, poor decisions, bad navigation skills and a long list of other things will likely spell the end for guys before hungry predators. Just my 2 cents.

Bar

Banned
I'm with the OP on this one. Even if I was hunting CA or any state for that matter where I could become the "hunted" I am carrying. If I get caught, I will gladly pay the ticket or the consequences, as I haven't figured out the price tag I would put on my life. I am for sure not going to let a bunch of non-hunting, liberals tell me I cannot protect myself from wildlife that could potentially make me dinner! And half of the game wardens now a days haven't spent one minute hunting, they are just cashing a paycheck, increasing state revenue, and enforcing the laws with no regard to hunters and their well-being. (Sorry about the rant). And for the guy that said a 9MM will bounce off a bears skull......you gotta be joking....right?!?!

Just carry some bear spray if you're that worried.

You seem like a fairly uneducated man, and clearly have never spent ANY amount of time around black bears. So basically your blatantly saying you don't respect game laws. You would be willing to lose your hunting privileges for the following year?

Have you ever killed a bear?? Have you ever skinned a bear out and held a bear skull? I have and also watched guys shoot bear in the head with 38 and 9mm and watched them glance off. When it was legal to run dogs a TON of guys wanted to head shot them, and a ton of guys came undergunned. I speak from actual experience, I speak from things I've witnessed and also done. I can tell by what you say you don't. Black bears don't "hunt" you and they have no desire to make you dinner. Saying stuff like tha is melodrama that makes you sound ridiculous.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
You seem like a fairly uneducated man, and clearly have never spent ANY amount of time around black bears. So basically your blatantly saying you don't respect game laws. You would be willing to lose your hunting privileges for the following year?

Have you ever killed a bear?? Have you ever skinned a bear out and held a bear skull? I have and also watched guys shoot bear in the head with 38 and 9mm and watched them glance off. When it was legal to run dogs a TON of guys wanted to head shot them, and a ton of guys came undergunned. I speak from actual experience, I speak from things I've witnessed and also done. I can tell by what you say you don't. Black bears don't "hunt" you and they have no desire to make you dinner. Saying stuff like tha is melodrama that makes you sound ridiculous.

Thank you for saying what was on my mind!!!!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
In shamlin88's defense it does seem very sketchy going into the woods or mountains with other apex predators if you are not used to them.

We have a small population of bears here that do not concern me as I have never even seen sign of one, though after listening to you guys I don't think I'd be that concerned if I did. We also have a mountain lion population that does concern me a bit when walking to my stand in the dark or field dressing game in the dark and therefore carry a sidearm. In the mountains I'll probably carry bear spray just for piece of mind if not a sidearm but I am sure you fellas are right and once I get a little experience under my belt won't feel the need anymore. I do not think they are actively hunting humans though but chance encounters do occasionally happen.

Bar

Banned
We're talking about bears. Lions are different. They will stalk you, but rarely attack. Anybody who has been hunting for any amount of time has been stalked by a lion. They just didn't know it. It's no more of a concern than bears.