Best custom mountain rifle??

So we have a best non-custom mountain rifle thread, how about a best custom mountain rifle thread. I don't own any customs but I'm thinking I might need to start looking into one. :) If you have a custom light wt. rifle that you're happy with and would like to share, please do.

We're still figuring out what actions we like and what calibers were going to really offer but these carbon barrels of mine are shooting phenomenal. We've built 2 338 Norma's (Ryan Avery has one) but have had some small issues with that case and what bottom metal works best with it. A factory BDL hinged floor plate makes it hard to get it to feed right as you have to open up the feed rails and you have very very little contact with that short WIDE case. But at 7 lbs naked and grouping under 2" at 500 yards they are shooting great! That's with a 27" barrel, Manners EH1 stock, Seekins muzzle brake, trued Remington 700 LA with 1 piece PTG Bolt.
e4yna5uz.jpg

y2a6are5.jpg

Here's another one we just built for Kenton at FirstLite. A 300 win mag off a PWS Action (Defiance action). This one isn't geared towards lightweight being it's in a 7 lb McRee chasis stock but we're talking about bedding it into a Manners/McMillan to make it a 9 lb scoped hunting rifle. This one is shooting phenomenal as well.
myru5usa.jpg

qyvuhapy.jpg

ubunapeh.jpg

Got another 338 Carbon Norma in the works, going to build a 260 Carbon Off a Savage action this winter for another member here, and I'm debating on whether I want to try a Tikka action or a Remington action for my Carbon 280 AI build. 24" barrel in a Manners stock should put it around 6.75 lbs before optics.

Obviously I'm a bit biased :) but ultra lightweight isn't our end goal with these rifles. Repeatable accuracy at long range in a packable weight is what I'm after.

Mike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Mike, I think the .300 win mag you guys are building for me will be at or below 6lbs. before optics.

Doesn't really answer the original question though.

jherald

WKR
I've come to know Steve Boswell very well in the last 7 months. He has also built a rifle for me, which is my second custom light rifle. It truly blew me away when I received a box a my FFL; opening the box and looking the rifle over I was more impressed with his work than any rifle I've got to put my hands on. The overall fit and finish is second to none. As far as my personal experience with him, he is a master at his craft and builds a very fine hunting rifle.

It's right at 6 lb even with Leupold 2.5-8x36 VXIII. .308, 20" barrel with added 1" brake.

image.jpg

PA 5-0

WKR
I've come to know Steve Boswell very well in the last 7 months. He has also built a rifle for me, which is my second custom light rifle. It truly blew me away when I received a box a my FFL; opening the box and looking the rifle over I was more impressed with his work than any rifle I've got to put my hands on. The overall fit and finish is second to none. As far as my personal experience with him, he is a master at his craft and builds a very fine hunting rifle.

It's right at 6 lb even with Leupold 2.5-8x36 VXIII. .308, 20" barrel with added 1" brake.

View attachment 17524

I have touched several Boswell rifles and his guns are absolute works of art. Saving up as it will be my next rifle.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't prefer my mountain rifle that light. The bigger cartridges I have found shoot better and feel better around nine pounds.

I run a Gunwerks LR-1000 in 7mm Long Range Magnum topped with a Night Force 5,5-22x50. Has always got the job done for me.

jherald

WKR
It's all in personal preferance. If someone's preference is hiking 20 miles one way with everything they need for a 7 day hunt, a 6 lb. rifle in a smaller cailber would be a joy.

For western style hunting I can see the preference for a large heavier rifle with a large cartridge where extreme long hunting ranges might be encountered.

There has been many time in the past where I had a heavier rifle and would have gladly traded 2 or 3 pounds off it for another 2 or 3 pounds of food.

Preference and hunting style will be the bigget factor in choosing a rifle.

OP
AK Troutbum

View attachment 17524
I'd love to check that out sometime Jerry. Maybe we could meet up and run a round or two thru it, my treat.:)

Clarktar

WKR
Mike, what do you think of a 6.5-06 built on a Tikka Action, with one of your carbon barrels? Maybe a stock from Oregon Gun smithing (pendleton stocks). Basically the same thing you built for another member here, but with a carbon barrel...

JWP58

WKR

View attachment 17524

How much $$$$ are we talking? (ballpark)???? 3-4K? Optics not included.

Mike, what do you think of a 6.5-06 built on a Tikka Action, with one of your carbon barrels? Maybe a stock from Oregon Gun smithing (pendleton stocks). Basically the same thing you built for another member here, but with a carbon barrel...

I got something similar in the works right now actually. Could be a very phenomenal build for accuracy/weight/cost. Trying to workout the details on a rebarrel "package" that includes my barrel, tuned trigger and lightweight stock. Going to talk with Pendleton stocks for sure!

6.5 is a badass caliber and would be great on anything in the CONUS. Especially out of that '06 case. Justin runs an Ackley version that shoots awesome...

Mike

Clarktar

WKR
That sounds really similar to what I had in mind. Keep me posted on your progress. Or, hopefully, I find my action soon, get the stock, and can send all to you to be rebarrelled and assembled..... (maybe serve as a prototype build??)

jherald

WKR
It's a McMillan Hunter Edge with Vias Camo. It was sent off to be hydrodipped. If you go to watertransferprinting.com you can contact them and they can get you a shop closest to you that does the transfer print on your stock.

That sounds really similar to what I had in mind. Keep me posted on your progress. Or, hopefully, I find my action soon, get the stock, and can send all to you to be rebarrelled and assembled..... (maybe serve as a prototype build??)

Definitely an option. I'll keep you in the loop!

Mike

idig4au

WKR
To me, custom means being involved step by step in the build process and developing a relationship with the gunsmith to produce something that is truly custom and your particular to your needs. Some good options out there, but it pays to do your research.

A few years back, I had a "full custom" made by a Utah company (who shall remain nameless) noted for carbon barrels and their flashy advertisements in the hunting magazines. It wasn't that enjoyable of an experience after having to send it back to them to be reworked for gunsmith issues. Not here to bash on them as I did get it eventually to shoot 0.5 MOA, but overall the level of work was well below my expectations for the price I paid (~$5k). This was lesson learned....do your research ahead of time! Don't pay custom build prices for just some high end components slapped together, which is what some of these companies appear to be marketing now as "custom".

My short list for my most recent mountain rifle build were Steve Boswell, McWhorter and Todd Bettin with the nod going to Todd. The attention to detail and performance is second to none with his build. Very happy!

Blaser k95 with a leupold FXIII 6x. Maybe a 2.5-8 in a 6.5 Swede or 257 weatherby. The gun alone is 5.5 lbs. You only need one shot...these are pricey so could probably count as non custom or custom.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting one right now. (just shipped the action to Al Seaman)

.300 Win mag
Tikka T3 action
26" Hells Canyon Armory carbon barrel
Seekins Precision muzzle brake
Pendleton Stocks long range hunter stock

Last edited: