Boots Causing Blisters now w/ a 50lb Pack

LJ Buck

WKR
I have the Zamberla Pamir Boots and love them hiking with lighter packs BUT now that i am up to a 50lb pack this last trip 10 miles i have some pretty tor up heels. Any suggestions? Any suggestions this is my first time with a boot this stiff. Seemed once the feet stated to get damp the blisters started.

muleman

WKR
What type of terrain were you hiking in? Just wondering if you need that stiff a boot.

You are correct, drier feet do better than sweaty feet. Try a better moisture wicking sock and a more padded sock if you can fit them.

murf45

WKR
Thin synthetic sock under my darn tough wool sock helped me quite a bit with moisture control and blisters. I'm going the try the smart wool phd socks as well to see if the extra padding helps.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like you have some wicked heal slip. What are the insoles your using in the Zambers? You may need to switch things up so your foot stays firmly planted in the footbed. Does your Zambers have a cupping affect on your heels? That would be my thoughts. Also does the boots have the same affect with or without the pack weight?

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
It has been said before but it works. Get them wet and walk them dry the way you plan on using them. If it is with a heavy pack, then put on your pack, get them soaked inside and out, walk them dry. I have very wierd shaped feet and boots have always been hell for me to break in. I go through work boots like crazy because of the type of work I do, and I hate buying boots and having to go through the process, but it works for me. I believe coyotecommander said the 50 mile mark is hogwash for boots to be broke in, and I can agree to that. Try lacing them different and use them suckers as much as possible.

OP
L

LJ Buck

WKR
Muleman- Spend most my time in nasty mountains in the wyoming range and the Tetons. This is where I live.

SHTF-The heel sliup is some but not much. With this stiff a boot I think you will always have some. They cause no problem with a lighter pack. I have also tried them with the orange Super feet and that took up to much room in the boot.

I have done 2-3 mile trips before with the 50# pack and had no issues but this time the feet got wet.

Thanks again for the help guys.

boom

WKR
Leukotape on your heels and other potential hotspots before you go.

This.

Perfectly great boots potentially become something else under different loads. Tape is the best insurance. And L tape is the best.