Can dall sheep see color?

I am going to Alaska in a few weeks and was wondering if dall sheep can see color? I have a orange finger cots (think small condom if you don't know what a finger cots is) and it fits over my muzzle break perfectly sealing out all moisture.

Just wondering if they could pick up on that little bit of orange?

Thanks for the help!

I am going to Alaska in a few weeks and was wondering if dall sheep can see color? I have a orange finger cots (think small condom if you don't know what a finger cots is) and it fits over my muzzle break perfectly sealing out all moisture.

Just wondering if they could pick up on that little bit of orange?

Thanks for the help!

im 99% sure the answer is no. The number one thing in hunting rams is play the wind and stay out of sight. the subject comes up a lot when talking about camo clothes vs. solids. After nearly a decade of sheep hunting I've never thought to myself " man if only i had camo...."

One thing to consider is reflective objects such as a stainless steel barrel shimmering in the sunlight. that can and will scare rams off at extreme distances. i know guys that use flat black paint to shiny objects.

Tony russ covers it in his book "sheep hunting in Alaska" or something to that effect. Its a must read, especially for anyone hunting sheep in AK

OP
S
im 99% sure the answer is no. The number one thing in hunting rams is play the wind and stay out of sight. the subject comes up a lot when talking about camo clothes vs. solids. After nearly a decade of sheep hunting I've never thought to myself " man if only i had camo...."

One thing to consider is reflective objects such as a stainless steel barrel shimmering in the sunlight. that can and will scare rams off at extreme distances. i know guys that use flat black paint to shiny objects.

Tony russ covers it in his book "sheep hunting in Alaska" or something to that effect. Its a must read, especially for anyone hunting sheep in AK

Thanks a ton... Definitely appreciate the book recomendation, I will certainly check it out.

The shiny objects scaring them makes great sense... My rifle is stainless but had it cerekoted flat black.

Thanks again, can't wait for this trip... Should be amazing.

Wingert

FNG
If you're concerned with the orange muzzle condom - use a couple strips of electrical tape to cover the muzzle/brake.

OP
S
If you're concerned with the orange muzzle condom - use a couple strips of electrical tape to cover the muzzle/brake.

If the concensus was sheep could see color, I would have certainly gone to tape. However, the orange finger cot on the muzzlebrake is a lot more secure and due to the orange color, it's very easy to notice if it's missing or broken or ripped. I feel like with electrical tape I'd not notice as readily since my barrel is black like the electrical tape.

If your worried about leaving the tape on to shoot, I can say out to 300 yds I've never noticed a shift in impact when comparing range shots or multiple shots while hunting. Plus a little tape never hurts to carry up there anyways.

Wingert

FNG
To your original question Shooter Fred, I concur with Mtnclimber in that sheep do not see color. Similar to deer, they see in shades of grey. His advice on playing the wind and staying out of sight is sound. Sheep are very good at detecting movement so keep it to a minimum if you have to move across an area where they can see you or take advantage of wearing whites.

Az Hunter

FNG
I don't know if sheep can see color but they sure have amazing eyesight. When I shot my Dall, I was 550yrds away. I was on top of a mountain with only the top of my balaclava covered head visible. My guide told me that the sheep often don't run at the sound of a rifle shot. That was true I my case. The six other rams that were with the ram I shot just stood around. My guide then said " Get your video camera and watch this". After I got my camera, he got on his knees exposing his head and chest. He was wearing a black and white shirt. The rams immediately took off running down the opposite slope. I got some great footage