.458 win mag over kill for moose?

Brent49

FNG
I just picked up a Ruger 458 win mag m77 from a coworker who was heading out of state. I got the gun for such a good deal I planned on flipping it to fund the rifle I actually wanted, but people are telling me that's a good caliber to have up here in Alaska. So now I am trying to decide if I want to sell it to buy a .338 win mag or a 340 weatherby. I already have a 7mm mag for the mid size game, just concerned about moose and bear. I am concerned that the 458 will do too much meat and hide damage. What do you guys think, keep the 458 and get a variety of rounds or sell it for a lighter rifle in the caliber I want?

have you shot the .458 yet? for moose i definitely wouldn't say overkill. but a persons ability to be accurate with a rifle can be severely affected by recoil. i would be more concerned with that.

jherald

WKR
If I had it I would sell it and get something else. For me .458 Win Mag is a more a niche gun and less practical for 90% of hunting.

colonel00

WKR
Another thing to consider is ammo availability. Unless you load yourself, take a look around and see what is available from local stores.

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Moose doesn't need a big gun that said, there's no such thing as over-dead.

Meat and hide damage has more to do with your bullet choice than it does the caliber. Pick a good heavy game bullet and you won't be destroying too much meat. I prefer the Barnes X line of bullets.

Personally, I'd choose a .375 H&H for an all-around Alaska round.

I have to agree with just about everything that's been said here already. The only concern I would have with that caliber is the high cost of shooting it and the limited availability of the rounds. A buddy of mine had a .458 and I fired it on several occasions, and I must say, I would much rather shoot that all day then shoot my .300 WSM. all day. Not that either one would be all that pleasant. All that being said, my go to moose caliber is a .375 H&H magnum.

I think you will like the .338 more than the .458win.
The 338 will do everything you ask it to and still have a decent longer range trajectory.
Cheaper to shoot and more versatile. I know I love my .338Ultra.
Hunt'nFish

OP
B

Brent49

FNG
Thanks for the input. I have looked at ammo and it ranges from 90 to 150 a box. I think I'm just going to sell it and pick up a 338 win mag. Now I have to decide between a sako, tikka or savage. I already have a tikka and I really like the rifle, but I have been looking at the savage 116 bear hunter. It comes with a muzzle break that you can turn off and on. Does any one have any experience with that type of break or that rifle?

Rucker61

WKR
Thanks for the input. I have looked at ammo and it ranges from 90 to 150 a box. I think I'm just going to sell it and pick up a 338 win mag. Now I have to decide between a sako, tikka or savage. I already have a tikka and I really like the rifle, but I have been looking at the savage 116 bear hunter. It comes with a muzzle break that you can turn off and on. Does any one have any experience with that type of break or that rifle?

Hunting buddies have a similar Savage model with the twist brake. You need to keep up maintenance on the brake or it will lock up, as one guy found out. They've been working on it, but I don't think it's freed up yet.