Chains?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just wondering how many keep a set of tire chains in the truck during the fall season. It seems every time I go any where new to explore, there is always a voice in my head saying "you better get those chains you have been putting off!"
I have gotten away with out them so far. You packing chains in your 4x4?

jljmonky

FNG
I am curious about this too. They are actually illegal for road use in Illinois so I have never owned a set but I imagine one bad trip will change that for mW.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
Both my work and personal trucks have a full set of four extra heavy mud duty chains in them at all times (unless it has been that dry for a month or so)... they have saved me many times.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't needed them yet during the archery season but I always have them. However, I'm not sure I've ever not needed them when hunting the later seasons. Usually chain up all four at that point and leave them on until I come out. But half the time I was pushing snow with the bumper coming out. Usually don't have that problem during archery.........but you never know. If it had been colder last year, we would have had 8 feet of snow on the ground instead of rain.

I remember one year around '90 or so, it rained for two days straight before I got back here to hunt. Then the day I got here it snowed about 10" above 7k feet. Nobody was going anywhere up there that didn't have chains. I have pics of my Toyota absolutely covered in mud from top to bottom. With chains on all four, it wasn't even an issue for the Yota or my buddy's Willy's.

Last edited:

Vandal 44

WKR
I have a set of four chains in the truck when I go on my later archery hunts and they get used every year. I do not take them for the early season.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks guys. Now I just need to figure out what chains will work and still clear wheel wells.

Any suggestions on models that worked for you?

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I did when I lived in California. Western range of the Sierras gets massive snowfall, areas like Blue Canyon see in excess of 200". If I were headed back it wouldn't be a question. A very good investment.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Now I just need to figure out what chains will work and still clear wheel wells.

Any suggestions on models that worked for you?

I like to use the highway service chains on the back and the Les Schwab quick fits on the front of my F350.

Mark

WKR
Two sets in the truck. You never know when you might need them...

ramp.jpg

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, a chain for every tire and the REAL CHAINS with icebreakers. None of the cheap stuff. And a shovel as others have said. I also carry a section of tyvek so you can lay on it when you get into trouble.

Randy

wapitibob

WKR
Never owned a pair. Back when we were logging I had to go get the skidder a cpl times but the snow was 3' deep. I watch where I go now and If I have doubts I take the quad.