Punk my list

Mckinnon

WKR
Critique my List

This is a 4 day archery hunt in NV. I think I see some areas for improvement such as cutting up my LH lid, lighter shelter, better spotter of course. I would just like some other opinions. Total pounds is 50.9...

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
You could save about 10oz by switching to a Sawyer water filter. Are you taking an extra shirt (First Lite Llano)? Might not need it for 4 days? Looks like you are pretty much there, I think 50lbs is pretty good including your' bow and quiver/arrows. Being nitpicky, you probably don't need the dry sack and I don't know what "REI tent fly" you have, but you already know you can probably do better for less weight.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. If I remember right it is the fly from a Passage 2. You are correct, I could definitely get better and lighter, but for this seasons budget its what I have. Good thought on the shirt, I use the dry sack as a camp bag, but I will look into cutting it out.

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
Are you wearing your bino's? that will drop 28 oz off your total weight along with any other on body items that are not in your pack. Otherwise looks like a solid list

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Ya I will have my binos on, good point, I guess I just try to include more rather than less on my pack list so I have a better idea of what I am really carrying. The only thing I will have except for whats on the list is ball cap, boots, socks, pants, undies, shirt, watch,ball cap, and my truck key, basically what I will be wearing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
2 rolls?! For 4 days? Geeeeze, I usually take 1/2 a roll and keep it in a gallon zip-lock "toiletries" bag. I know it's not much weight, but it is a bit of space....

Better to have extra and not need it and than not have extra and not have it in this case. Been there, done that, not pretty!!! In fact for one sheep hunt in 2010 I spaced TP all together and realized it at the trail head where I parked the truck hours from the nearest place to get more TP. So I packed the entire reg book in as a backpup plan in case my partners TP (that we were now sharing cause he's a nice guy) ran out. Thankfully the supply held, but that is certainly a place I am willing to sacrifice a few oz ;)

2 rolls?! For 4 days? Geeeeze, I usually take 1/2 a roll and keep it in a gallon zip-lock "toiletries" bag. I know it's not much weight, but it is a bit of space....

The Gorp and bars , mixed with the MH and pumped water and altitude , ez to use 1/2 roll a day. Im not chancing my finger pokin through or having to use boxers or hiking that far no socks.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
The Gorp and bars , mixed with the MH and pumped water and altitude , ez to use 1/2 roll a day. Im not chancing my finger pokin through or having to use boxers or hiking that far no socks.

Hahaha, ya, fingerpainting would not be a good thing:) . Mebe I will sacrifice an ounce for a full roll.

PA 5-0

WKR

LMFAO!!!!!! I always have a handful of Immodium AD in with my TP kit to avoid situations just like this. Stuff is for real.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Count the stuff you carry. (like your bino's) Even if it isn't on your back, it is still on your legs, and it is still weight. You've got the right idea.

7mag.

WKR
Your sleeping bag is really heavy, and you could save some weight with a Cuben Fiber tarp, and a less insulated pad.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Get rid of the TP and bring baby wipes.......1000 times better than TP, and much more compact. You'll figure it out after you have kids.

I'm guessing you're young without kids for two reasons: (1) You would already be carrying baby wipes if you already had kids; and (2) "Punk my list"........not even sure what language you're speaking there.......so you must be young.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think your list is pretty solid.

I wouldn't take the Tyvek with a bivy and I wouldn't take tablets with a filter, but really you are on the right track. 5milesback is right about the baby wipes. Bring some.

Just get out as much as you can and you will figure out the things you can cut. Then watch the sales/ classifieds and slowly buy lighter gear as you can afford it.

jm1607

WKR
Get rid of the TP and bring baby wipes.......1000 times better than TP, and much more compact. You'll figure it out after you have kids.

I'm guessing you're young without kids for two reasons: (1) You would already be carrying baby wipes if you already had kids; and (2) "Punk my list"........not even sure what language you're speaking there.......so you must be young.

Do you guys all take wipes instead of TP or bring both? I have both packed now.. I could just bring extra wipes..