Firearm cleaning

I am going to get back into shooting rifles and handguns and was wondering, What is everyone using for cleaning (Copper/Lead fouling, powder residue, etc.) and oil? I know that all of my guns need a good cleaning after being stored and neglected with a heavy coating of oil on them when I put them up the last time I used them. Thanks.

I break my rifle in and then shoot it until my accuracy falls of, some run a bore snake through them after shooting. I'm at around 400 rds without cleaning. My dad old school as he is can't stand it!

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I like Barnes CR 10 as a copper/lead/powder solvent, and Kroil is good stuff for oil. I'm certainly not the expert some of the guys on this forum are, but that is what I have been using recently.

have used all three mentioned and all are in the master cleaning box. will add sweets to the mix to be sociable......

KMD

Banned
Wipeout & Kroil to clean, which is a rarity.
CLP as a general lube & Montana Gun Grease for hitting cocking piece, bolt lugs, etc...

OP
F
From what I am getting, several of you do not clean your firearm regularly. Why is that? I can understand a fouling shot after cleaning, but what is the benefit of not cleaning after a range session? I guess I am old school/military trained to keep the carbon from baking onto parts.

gelton

WKR
From what I am getting, several of you do not clean your firearm regularly. Why is that? I can understand a fouling shot after cleaning, but what is the benefit of not cleaning after a range session? I guess I am old school/military trained to keep the carbon from baking onto parts.

I know it feels sacrilegious to put up a gun without cleaning it but with the new interest in long range shooting folks like to keep their barrel conditions the same so they can better track velocity. Also, the way we were brought up to clean guns was back when powder was highly corrosive and it made cleaning mandatory. These days powders are much cleaner and can actually help preserve a barrel longer than cleaning it with corrosive ammonia type copper cleaner after every time you take it out.

The most I have learned about gun maintenance and long range shooting is from this guy and he as well as the long range aficionados on this site only clean when their groups start to spread out...I follow their advice these days.

Here is a great video on it:

[video=youtube_share;fOmco59yJs8]http://youtu.be/fOmco59yJs8?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxU n[/video]

gelton

WKR
Here is one on coppering and powder removal:

[video=youtube_share;_KRUAv3Byp4]http://youtu.be/_KRUAv3Byp4?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxU n[/video]

gelton

WKR
And another one on cleaning regimen:

[video=youtube_share;wy1d662GVbs]http://youtu.be/wy1d662GVbs?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxU n[/video]

husky390

WKR
I use Montana Extreme Copper Killer to remove the copper from the bore, Hoppe's #9 to remove powder residue, and CLP for oil. Occasionally I've used Slide Glide and some other greases. Frog Lube has been one of the best carbon removers I've used. I'm still on the fence as far as how well it lubricates. I used to use the Dewey nylon cleaning rods but have since switched to the Otis cleaning kit and have been pretty happy with it.

As far as cleaning, bolt guns get wiped down with a silicone cloth, lubed if needed and I do not clean the bores until my groups open up. Based on my experience, they like to be dirty.

KMD

Banned

There are almost as many differing opinions on barrel cleaning, as there are shooters, barrel makers, and cleaning products. So, finding a regiment that is favorable to you, and your rifles, becomes more of a subjective endeavor...

One thing I do believe, across the board, is that "too much" cleaning can potentially do more harm, than it does good. I have a firend who cleans his rifle every five shots! Drives me bonkers, but that's what he likes to od! His rifles don't shoot any better for it, but it gives him peace of mind & makes him happy, so I just shake my head & keep shootin' while he's inspecting patches, LOL. Old habits die hard...

When I do clean a barrel, it is only after proving that accuracy has gone to poop. Sometimes, that's 250 rounds, sometimes its 950 rounds. Bottom line is, let your rifle tell you when it needs cleaning! And realize that draggin' a cleaning rod across your throat/lands can & will fork them up more quickly than a bullet might...

Would stress using a quality bore guide and one pc. coated rod, appropriately sized for caliber. I have custom Luca bore guides made for every rifle I shoot. Without a good chamber and rod fit, cleaning can become a dangerous proposition to your throat & lands! A good bore guide, and a coated rod will keep throat/lands contact to a safe minimum...

Being that I run (moly) coated bullets, all I use to 'clean' my barrel is a single wet patch of Kroil, followed by two dry ones.

That's it.

If I want to clean to bare metal, I'd use WipeOut foam. Let it sit an hour & patch out. Check for blue foam (copper) and grey (carbon) on patches. If present, foam it again and let soak overnight. Rinse & repeat, 'til barrel is squeeeky clean.
I also take note of feeling if/where the patch 'hangs up' in the barrel, nearer the throat. That might be a 'carbon ring', which would require some mechanical scrubbing with a nylon bore brush to remove. Otherwise, I don't ever brush a barrel, "just because"...

Like I said, completely subjective stuff. And no one way is the "right way".
One thing I'd stress again, is if your rifle is shootin' well, LEAVE IT ALONE...

There are almost as many differing opinions on barrel cleaning, as there are shooters, barrel makers, and cleaning products. So, finding a regiment that is favorable to you, and your rifles, becomes more of a subjective endeavor...

One thing I do believe, across the board, is that "too much" cleaning can potentially do more harm, than it does good. I have a firend who cleans his rifle every five shots! Drives me bonkers, but that's what he likes to od! His rifles don't shoot any better for it, but it gives him peace of mind & makes him happy, so I just shake my head & keep shootin' while he's inspecting patches, LOL. Old habits die hard...

When I do clean a barrel, it is only after proving that accuracy has gone to poop. Sometimes, that's 250 rounds, sometimes its 950 rounds. Bottom line is, let your rifle tell you when it needs cleaning! And realize that draggin' a cleaning rod across your throat/lands can & will fork them up more quickly than a bullet might...

Would stress using a quality bore guide and one pc. coated rod, appropriately sized for caliber. I have custom Luca bore guides made for every rifle I shoot. Without a good chamber and rod fit, cleaning can become a dangerous proposition to your throat & lands! A good bore guide, and a coated rod will keep throat/lands contact to a safe minimum...

Being that I run (moly) coated bullets, all I use to 'clean' my barrel is a single wet patch of Kroil, followed by two dry ones.

That's it.

If I want to clean to bare metal, I'd use WipeOut foam. Let it sit an hour & patch out. Check for blue foam (copper) and grey (carbon) on patches. If present, foam it again and let soak overnight. Rinse & repeat, 'til barrel is squeeeky clean.
I also take note of feeling if/where the patch 'hangs up' in the barrel, nearer the throat. That might be a 'carbon ring', which would require some mechanical scrubbing with a nylon bore brush to remove. Otherwise, I don't ever brush a barrel, "just because"...

Like I said, completely subjective stuff. And no one way is the "right way".
One thing I'd stress again, is if your rifle is shootin' well, LEAVE IT ALONE...

yep on all that, even your moly coated bullets are frowned on by some as being corrosive. used danzac as an alternative till some started saying that was corrosive as well. have quit shooting the volumes as in past so really could care less. always say dont believe a gd thing on the internet,try it for yourself.....

charvey9

WKR
I use butch's bore shine after any heavy range session with a few patches just to get the powder fouling out, then a patch of remoil to finish off. Every 500 rounds or so I'll run some copper solvent down the barrel.

I do believe that appropriate bore guide, cleaning rod, and jags are essential.